“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
California
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

It was clean, which to me is the most important. The room was spacious and had the usual Courtyard amenities. The location, though a short drive from downtown and other sites was a bit isolated and surrounded by a business building and empty lots that are a bit unkept. Room servicing was an issue - a coffee maker was just 1 coffee packet (no cream, sugar etc.). Though the cafe staff did give me some creams when asked. Only 1 large towel, had to go hunt down room service to get more. There was a nice patio area off the lobby.

Room Tip: Get rooms above the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I've always stayed at this hotel for St Louis Mardi Gras. The room and hotel was polished—clean. Staff was VERY helpful and willing to assist Breakfast was a snap. If you want something light, it's available immediately, anything else that has to be prepared, they'll have to prepare it—it takes just as long to prepare if you were doing it yourself at home; personally, let them do it and I'll just relax. I'll be staying there again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Edward C
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback regarding our Bistro. Everything is prepped ahead of time so that the longest any item should take to produce is 8 minutes. I am glad you liked the breakfast, remember to check out our seasonal menu items that change every three months.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have been to STL many times and have stayed in several different hotels around the downtown area. This was the worst one yet, and I won't be going back.

PROs
- there was always a taxi out front each morning, making travel easy
- this hotel isn't along a highway, and my room (and floor) were very quiet

CONs
- staff wasn't very polished or friendly (close to but not quite rude, and certainly not warm or inviting)
- the lone guy working the breakfast counter was in way over his head (possibly new, or understaffed?)
- the rugs/floors were dirty all week (trash, bits of paper, etc.-- even the elevator!?)
- they had the mini-fridge on the floor so the door wouldn't open without scraping the carpet
- the microwave is on top of the fridge (not steady) and blocks the HVAC unit
- both the mini-fridge and microwave were plugged into the desk lamp = less spots for plugging in laptop, cell phone, etc.
- red marks (paint? nail polish?) on BOTH sides of the bathroom door
- house keeping didn't restock the coffee properly

Room Tip: Go somewhere else?!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I thank you for your review and apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I have relayed your comments to our housekeeping staff in an effort to improve our service. Marriott prides itself on excellent customer service and we clearly dropped the ball with your stay.
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I visited St. Louis for our first time this past week. We spent two nights at the Downtown Courtyard by Marriott. We were struck by the incredible service and the cleanliness of this hotel. The location on Market Street was perfect. We were able to visit the downtown attractions (Arch, Busch stadium, Union Station etc.) as well as Forest Park.

We highly recommend this hotel for anyone searching for a great place to stay at a reasonable price in downtown St. Louis! It's hard to find a place like this in big cities. If we are ever again in St. Louis this is where we will be staying!

Room Tip: Look for "starvin' Marvin." He's the best hotel staff person we've ever witnes...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for the rave review, we look forward to your future stays. I will pass your comments on to our staff as I know they appreciate the kind words as well.
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

For at least the past 5 years we have attended the Missouri Valley tournament at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. Each and every year we stayed at this Coutyard. We are treated like valuable customers every time we arrive. Front desk staff are friendly and pleasant. Our first floor room was clean and comfortable. Complimentary coffee in the lobby is very nice. The restaurant seemed a little overwhelmed the first day or two. Our wait for breakfast was lengthy. Staff are all helpful. One of the maintenance staff offered to help me find the ice machine. Overall the hotel is a great place to stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Makes sense to stay here. Just West of Downtown and minutes away from Forest Park, the zoo, and the Brewery (FREE admissions). Rooms Clean-Staff Friendly Only thing was our room was in the back by the pool which made it noisy till it closed. If you want quite, ask to stay in a different section. Did we mention FREE Parking!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
East Coast, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here for a conference at SLU. Very good location, free parking, and was within walking distance (about 15 minutes) to where I had a meeting on campus at Il Monastero.

Front desk staff were friendly, responsive, and knowledgeable. My room, located on the first floor, was very well-maintained, and felt new. Living area and bathroom were spotless. The room itself was quite spacious, with a sitting area at the foot of the king size bed, an HDTV, and work desk. Fixtures were modern with LED bulbs. If you have stayed in a more newly renovated Residence Inn, you will recognize them as well as the shower head.

Speaking of shower, bathroom toilet and shower is separated from sink by a door, which is nice if two are trying to get ready. Hot water was ample, and water pressure was excellent. As I said before, all was very clean. Amenities included Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner, and separate soap for bath and face. Towels were not as plush as a higher-end Marriott, but absolutely fine.

Room was quiet enough, and noise from adjacent rooms was not noticeable. Property has a pool, but I did not use. Bed had four pillows of various firmness. Linens were not anything special, but clean and comfortable.

There is a simple bistro on property, but I walked across the street to a sports bar/restaurant called Syberg's. Food was okay, and service was just fair, but that's another review.

Overall, I was impressed with this hotel. It was more than adequate for my business stay, and was better than other Courtyards in which I have stayed regarding its service, cleanliness, and "new" feel in the room. I would certainly stay here again if staying in the downtown St. Louis area.

Room Tip: My room was 147, and was just next to another exit tone parking lot. This put me only steps away fr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for the kind words regarding your recent stay. The staff and I are really excited about our recent renovation and feel we have one of the best products downtown. I will pass these comments on to our staff as well. Hope that you stay with us again on your next visit.