“College Town Mex and then Some”
Review of Tortillaria - CLOSED

Tortillaria
Neighborhood: Central West End
Neighborhood: Central West End
Hawaii
“College Town Mex and then Some”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We really like the food here. Chile Verde was pretty awesome, and Chile Relleno was crispy and full of cheese--portions are generous.
Great chips and salsa to start were very tasty.
Except for the surly dude who brought the chips, the staff was super nice.
We'd eat here again, for sure.

Visited April 2012

Memphis, Tennessee
“Fresh Mex & don't miss the house marg.”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Best house rocks margarita I've had in a while. Citrusy & crisp but not at all sour. And not too skimpy on the etOH either. Great outdoor seating on shady Euclid in one of my fav StL n'hoods, the CWE. Their salsa & gooey cheese/meat app thingy (name escaping me) were both fresh & flavorful. Entree tempura shrimp tacos tasty but not great. Service very efficient. Great departure from typical Mexican.

Denver, Colorado
“Great Food. Great Service.”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I recommend this place wholeheartedly. The atmosphere was very relaxed. They have about 4 booths and in addition about 7-10 small tables and outdoor seating too.

I had a mango margarita which was delicious. It was also enormous. I had the traditional margarita afterwards which was equally as good but thankfully much smaller.
There is a salsa bar and each of the salsas is very distinct worth trying. I liked the green one. For dinner, I asked for a recommendation from the waitress, Amy, (who was unbelievably helpful) she suggested fish tacos or enchiladas verdes. I went for the enchiladas which was an corn tortilla filled shredded pork cooked in a tomatillo sauce. It was fantastic and served with two sides. I got grilled vegetables which went well with the enchiladas. I also got black beans which were okay though I wouldn't get them again. Great atmosphere on an early Saturday night. Mix of people including young families, students, and an older crowd.

• Visited November 2011
North Little Rock, AR
“Favorite Place in Town”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We happened on this place by accident. We were in town with our kids for a weekend, and they wanted to eat at the bagel place in this area. We took the train and walked down the street towards the bagel restaurant when we walked by Tortillaria. The first thing that caught my eye was the salsa. It wasn't the typical bright red, Pace looking like salsa you typically see. This had the dark color of a smoked pepper salsa. After getting lunch for the kids, my husband and I had lunch here. The chips tasted homemade with large kosher or sea salt on them. The salsa was even better than it looked too. We opted for the fish tacos, which the waiter said was they are known for. The corn tortillas looked homemade and were very fresh. The grilled fish had a delicious seasoning. We also tried the pork tacos, but they were lacking flavor. One chunk of meat the end of my taco had a lot of seasoning and was very good, but the rest was pretty bland.

The location and outdoor seating was wonderful. We could have stayed there all afternoon. The waiter was also very helpful and polite. The inside of the restaurant looks nice too and would be great on a hot or cold day.

This was not at all the typical Mexican food I would have expected in St. Louis. It was much, much better.

• Visited August 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good Mexican Food with Streetside Sitting”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This restaurant has a limited menu offering but they are good at what they offer.
Their guacamole is very good and their fish tacos are very tasty.
Carne Asada plate is also flavorfull and very filling.
Nice, friendly staff.
Good choice in the Central West End.

• Visited July 2011