“Historic Shaw Art Fair”

Ranked #4 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Iowa
“Historic Shaw Art Fair”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was in town for an art fair and stayed at The Four Seasons. This was not the first time. Many times we stay as the room is comped by Lumiere. The rooms are nice. The beds are comfortable. The linens are so soft that you will not want to get up in the morning. The bathrooms are large with a TV in the mirror. The glass shower has a rain shower head. The tub is big and there is a separate room for the stool. You have to take two different elevators to get to your room from the ground floor.

The big downside is the room rates if you have to pay for the room. You pay an arm and a leg if you want to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Ballwin, Missouri
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I were spending the weekend at a Cardinals playoff game #5 Friday night with San Francisco and then a Rams game on Sunday with Green Bay. We were spending the weekend at the St. Louis Four Seasons Hotel. We have stayed at other properties owned by this chain and had never had a problem previously. We arrived by car at the hotel and the staff immediately started to assist by unloading our luguage and a few personal effects. We had a small cooler containing some grapes, carrots, orange juice, soda, and yogert. We we immediatly told that the hotel does not allow coolers on it's premises. I was told I should have known the hotel's policy. I informed the belman that he could look in the cooler and informed him of the contents. This was truely a small cooler and contained no glass bottles. Seems odd that the hotel would not allow it's guests to enjoy a few personal items during their stay. We were paying the full rack rate of $535 per night and the hotel's worried that my wife likes organic grapes and they will lose a few dollars sales in their food service. The cooler was left in the car. My wife and I went to registration desk to register and get our room. Then proceeded to the assigned room where we waited for the hotel staff to bring up our lugage. After a half hour in the room, I called down to see where our personal items were and was told "they were busy with other situations and not able to get our luggage up to us". I told them that we needed to leave for the baseball game and needed our luggage, we needed items we were going to wear that was in our luggage. Seems like 45 minutes after you arrive at the room is too long to have to wait for your luggage to get up to your room. Lastly this property needs to work with it's staff to make their guests feel like the staff is happy to have guests. Seems like the property was busy, but there was no feeling conveyed that they were happy see us. Sometimes a smile or a polite ackledgement goes a long way towards making guests feel comfortable.

3 Thank Robert O
Carbondale, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had been on a spontaneous weekend trip to St. Louis with my girlfriend and we decided to check if they still had a room available for the evening. Mind you, it was late, pouring rain outside and the Lumiere Place next door was booked. They recommended we try staying at the Four Seasons Hotel. As I opened the door to enter, another couple was coming out so I naturally held the door for them... all of a sudden the valet hurriedly gets the door. After the couple had passed through the valet asked me, "Sir, would you like a job here?" which I found to be rude. When I arrived at the lobby I was met by a young man and told him what had happened and how it made me feel and that I wanted to speak with the manager. He said that he was the "manager," well, filling in for him. This so-called "manager" was wet-behind-the-ears and did not seem concerned that I was bothered by the comment from the valet and when he "called downstairs" at my request nobody could recall the incident and that it was a "playful" misunderstanding. I went downstairs and personally brought the valet to the lobby to discuss the incident with the manager and I. I was told, "this would be handled INTERNALLY."

All in all, the valet and "manager" were very rude so I ended up not staying at this particular hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travelinpinoy
Mequon, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2012

No pretense at this hotel; these are genuinely nice people, concerned about your well being. Unfortunately, the front desk won't budge on rates once they are set for certain weekends; corporate rates don't apply when the Universities have their parents weekend - you will pay an arm and a leg.

Room Tip: Work hard to get a corporate rate or you will pay a pretty penny, but it's worth every one. Not...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike_the_Retail_Guy
springfield, mo
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I try and stay here as often as possible. The staff is bar none some of the best hotel staff I have ever encountered. Your stay here will be very memorable! The lounge makes one of my favorite drinks (Alper's pink shirt). It's not on the menu but you can ask for it. In fact you can ask for most anything at the Hotel and they will try their best to fulfill your request!

Room Tip: Premier deluxe rooms are on the corner with only one other room next door on most floors. No arch v...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Marin County, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our first trip to St. Louis brought the challenge of few choices for luxury hotels downtown, with the Ritz-Carlton being out of the area. This hotel got good reviews, and they are well-earned. We got a Premiere City View room that was upgraded to a corner room with walls of windows on two sides with outrageous views of the river. No disappointment for not paying extra for a Arch View room- we didn't miss it, and the arch is in view from the hotel bar, restaurant and huge deck. The room was very spacious, equivalent to a suite in other hotels. Tons of floor space, extremely light and airy, with no one to see in, we could just leave the drapes open, even at night, and have the city lights shine softly in. Extremely private and quiet! We loved the trains that would pass on the track below along the river, yet they weren't noisy, just comforting to a couple who love the train as a throwback of true Americana.

The bathroom was sensational with a separate WC, shower, and large soaking tub. The TV built into the mirror was over the top! Not one element in this modern, light, simply but beautifully furnished room was off. Service in every part of the hotel was impeccable. The front desk staff was professional and warm, attentive, fast on check in, and the concierge and every phone contact was very responsive to us. Room service was the fastest we have ever had, without compromising quality. The room service food was excellent, and the staff who delivered were refreshing in leaving the cart with us to bring into the room as we prefer rather than being intrusive and insisting on setting things up as is common in a lot of the luxury hotels we stay in.

The restaurant and bar area, including the huge outdoor terrace overlooking the arch and downtown/ riverfront is elegant and must be very festive and a hot spot during the summer. The huge infinity fountain, gorgeous hot tub and swimming pool along with tons of comfy seating in a sumptuous setting with perfect music playing and food service made this a place you wanted to be and come back to! Since it was October we stayed inside to eat, and enjoyed this perfect experience as well.

Cielo, the restaurant at this Four Seasons, is everything promised, and raises the bar for hotel restaurants with beautiful, delicious food, and attentive, gracious service. We didn't have a bad meal or dish and ate either in the restaurant, the bar (same food) or the same food by room service a great deal of our stay because it was convenient and we didn't have a lot of time to explore the city.

We usually prefer traditional hotels with elaborate interiors and antiques, so wondered if this hotel's atmosphere might disappoint. Not so. The colors were soothing and warm, there was no use of chrome or metal, and we were very comfortable. It's hotel was obviously being used by business travelers, but the larger rooms, especially the room we had (15th floor, northeast corner) was very romantic and perfect for a couple's getaway. We didn't get a chance to use the spa as we usually do, but are confident it is lovely and will definitely use those services next time.

Overall this hotel made our stay in St. Louis very special, and we were very happy to make it our home for 6 days this time, and will be back here again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Premiere City View corner room on an upper floor for privacy, great views, and tons o...
Mokena, Illinois
Reviewed October 11, 2012

While driving back to Chicago from Florida, we decided to spend the night in St. Louis. (Tripadvisor and my smartphone make it sooo convenient to do last minute hotel stays.) My husband wanted us to book a Holiday Inn, but after reading that there was a Four Seasons, I thought I would at least give them a call to check their rates (much to my husband's dismay:) But surprisingly, they had a great rate for that night (it wasn't a weekend), so we spent the last night of our week vacation in luxury! Hotel employees at front desk were very friendly and upgraded us to a room with the view of the Arch since it was available. It was a very modern room, not really my particular taste, but everything was very clean. Wonderful soaps and shampoos, great bath and shower.Such a relaxing stay after driving for 9 hours! There is a casino attached so if you like that kind of thing, it's convenient. I don't think it would be worth staying there at the normal rate, but definitely would stay again if given the same lower rate!