“NOT IMPRESSED”

Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
Ranked #35 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Staff was polite and helpful, but other experiences WERE NOT. Elevator wait time was totally ridiculous. By 10AM we were taking freezing cold showers. No hot water till mid afternoon. Advertised Free WIFI but was not when you get to your room. My coffee maker did not work. Requested new one which I never received.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Mike H, Front Office Manager at Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Greg & Pam H

Hi, I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered while here as our guest.
We did encounter an unexpected maintenance problem that affected the hot water. Engineeering was able to correct the situation immediately but the tank required some time to warm back up. We do appreciate your business and I would be glad to discuss the situation further in order to come to a more satisfying solution.
Thank you for your honest and open feedback.

Mike

Write a ReviewReviews (3,100)

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our family of 5 stayed 3 nights for my husband's business convention (paid for by my husband's company,. We were given a king and sleeper-sofa though we had asked for a double. We asked, they said no double rooms were available (this was on a Thursday afternoon). That night, I opened up the sleeper sofa for our kids to sleep on and found vomit in the sheets, on the blanket, and over the side of the sofa. I called room service, and they brought me clean sheets. I wiped up the vomit the best I could and remade the bed with new linens, and put the vomit-covered blankets in the bathroom under the sink.

When my husband returned from his corporate dinner, I told him about it and he was aghast and called the front desk, wondering why they had not cleaned and disinfected the sleeper-sofa. I explained that I hadn't really demanded it, just had asked for clean sheets.

The next morning (this was in January) we woke up to a very cold room. The thermostat said 69, but was set on 72. I turned it up to about 76 and waited. Nothing more than 69, and there was frost on the windows and condensation melting on the inside and running down the windowsills. When the cleaning personnel arrived later in the morning, I asked for a blanket because we were so cold in the night. She said okay, she would get me one, and left. A repairman arrived a half hour later and checked the heater, and said it was working.

Friday night, the manager came to our room and said he was sorry about the cleanliness issues. He gave us 3 tickets for free appetizers at the hotel bistro. He had two other repairmen come check our heater, and they said to set the thermostat at 80 and the room would get a little warmer. The warmest we could get it was 72, and it was much colder over by the windows.

The following day was a Saturday, and there was a hockey tournament in town, and the hotel was swarming. The elevators were small, there were only three, and were extremely slow. Each level had people waiting outside the elevator doors, and the elevator would stop at each level, but no people could get on because it was too cramped. So the wait was extended because it would stop at each floor, rather than go to its destination. Everyone was frustrated at the slowness. We were on the 12th floor, so taking the stairs with three little kids wasn't really an option.

On Saturday, around 9:30pm, I called room service and asked for a blanket, because neither my husband or I were sleeping well at all, and this was the third night of sleeping cold and I was fed up with it. It was almost an hour before staff arrived, and she handed me a set of sheets, saying she would find me a blanket but the elevator was down and she had to get to work on it. This was at 10:30 and I waited up for another hour but she never brought the blanket.

On the plus side, the food was excellent. The Market Bistro in the lobby bar area served really good lasagna, which my son ordered at every meal. The breakfast buffet was really good, and our first morning there we discovered the cereal first and ate it, and the waiter named Dale told us "you only ate cereal and toast, so I'm not charging you for the full buffet"...it was very nice of him to not charge us full price. The free appetizers were also very nice. My husband enjoyed the dinners served at his convention, he said the food was amazing.

On Saturday, a tray arrived with brownies and fresh fruit and milk cartons on ice, with a handwritten note from the manager apologizing for the lack of cleanliness again. We did appreciate their concern, and all the staff was very polite and friendly.

The kids loved the pool, it was a family-friendly place. We would have preferred a clean room with two beds, a warm room, or at least warm blankets which we asked for twice but didn't get. But the food was great.

Room Tip: The sunsets were beautiful from the 12th floor up, facing west. We had a good view of the city. Ju...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Mike H, Front Office Manager at Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear KTischer,

Thank you so much for the recap of your stay at Hilton Ballpark. It was great to hear about the successes with our Food and Beverage team. The cleanliness issues have been addressed directly with housekeeping. And we continue to review the best way to manage the elevators during peak demand periods. We do value your feedback and your choice to stay at Hiltoon Ballpark.
Please contact myself if you have any remaining concerns, or if your travels bring you back to St. Louis!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed at the hotel Jan 10 and 11.My stay was wonderful. Andrew and Ashley who were working the front desk were very helpful and polite but they were very kind. And there isn't enough kindness in this world anymore. You are very blessed to have both of them as employees.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Annetta2025,

Thak you for recognizing Andrew and Ashley. They are "awesome" on a daily basis! My only hope is that you have other opportunities to meet the rest of the staff. Having the right people in the right place only enhances a guests experience when they visit Hilton at the Ballpark.
Have a blessed 2014, and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Short trip for conference. Nice hotel - room and facilities at standards expected. Staff exceptional - attentive and knowledgeable & in particular Tim at the front desk (thanks for the advice!). Would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear BRC8338,

Thank you for recognizing Tim for exceptional service. He enjoys a good conversation accross the desk, or a phone call prior to arrival to assist with reservation questions. Like the rest of our staff, Tim understands our team is here to create memorable & relaxing visits at the Hilton Ballpark.
We look forward to your next visit to St. Louis!

Mike

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the conference in the review title. For the value, I would have preferred to have a refrigerator in my room as well as complimentary internet access. I had neither, but overall a very good hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I made a reservation through a website at this hotel for New Year's Eve. When we arrived at the front desk, Tim Shifflet, handled our check in. He could not find our reservation in the system and apologized for any inconvenience. He immediately offered us free drinks and an appetizer, free buffet breakfast and free valet parking. After much persistence on his part, he was able to find our reservation and he actually had to call the website to find it. As it turned out, the website had the name spelled incorrectly in the system, which was no fault of the Hilton. Tim Shifflet was most gracious and accommodating and I can't say enough about his service. We found our experience at the Hilton very good. The room was nice, the food great and the service excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2014

In late December we stayed at the Hilton for 2 nights - our Son was married at the ballpark on 12/27 and many family/friends stayed at the Hilton. The staff was amazing and accommodating. We had the breakfast buffet and ordered Imo's Pizza as well as lunch from teh bar - the food and service was fantastic. We truly enjoyed our stay and appreciate everything the Hilton did to make our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Mike H, Front Office Manager at Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear kcetro,

We love celebrating the start of new relationships and are so thankful for your kind words!
Congrats from our family to yours, and we hope 2014 provides many occassions for your family and friends to reunite to share old memories, and make new ones!
If you ever need assistance in the future, please feel free to call.