“Fell short of expectations”

Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
Ranked #43 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Columbia, Missouri
“Fell short of expectations”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Went to St. Louis for a business trip and Cardinals game. I should state that I did NOT choose to stay at this hotel, everyone else with my company was staying here after we attended the baseball game. The lobby was nice and large, clean, and the valet out front was very friendly! Nick at the front desk was also very helpful! I was impressed with all of the staff that I encountered, even the cute bartenders in the 360 rooftop bar. Where this hotel fell short was the rooms. My bathroom was TINY, one of those rooms where you have to shut the door to even be able to sit down. The sink was dirty! It was also very difficult to find the toilet paper, it was mounted underneath the counter! I like a firm mattress, but this bed was hard. My comforter had a bright pink stain on it (not a fresh stain, but still not very professional). The bed skirt was so wrinkled that you had to wonder how it got that way! I was also very disappointed that upon my arrival, I had to wait several minutes to take an elevator. There were 3 elevators in the East tower, except two of them were being used to go to the bar on the roof. I find it pretty insulting to be told I'll have to wait for an elevator in order to send non-guests up to the bar. When I made it up to the bar, I was satisfied with the atmosphere. Of course it was expensive, but I expected that given the location. Other than the awesome views and service in the bar and the friendly staff, everything else at this hotel was a major let down. I expected more from a Hilton!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ballpark or the arch, they have the best views! East tower
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Springfield, IL
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed at the Ballpark Hilton Friday, 8/3/12. We were not there for a game, but there was one that evening. You would think that this Hilton would be accustomed to crowds on a game day, but that was not the case. The extremely SLOW moving line for valet parking extended down the street and around the corner. we abandoned it and drove to the self park building a half a long block away and walked back in the extreme heat with our luggage. Note that the Hilton self parking fee is $18.00 per night (although the posted rate at the parking facility is $15.00). The checki-in lines in the hotel were VERY long, and the check-in process seemed disorganized. The lobby was a zoo, with crowds of people, some try-ing to check in, and many trying to get up to the 360 rooftop bar. Once we were checked-in, we walked to the west wing/tower to wait in line at the elevators there. Upon arriving at our room, we discovered that it was situated directly across from the elevator. I had specifically requested on my reservation form " a quiet room away from the elevator". So I called down and spoke with someone who told me that that would relocate us and he would be right up with the room keys. After a half hour wait, I called back and no one knew anything about our room change, so someone else promised to come up with new room keys. Finally a lady did arrive and we were relocated to a suitable room. Our reservations were on the Club floor, and this included free breakfast the next am. Our check-in person had neglected to give us our vouchers for breakfast, we needed to ask for them at the front desk. BTW, the breakfast buffet was cold and bad. We could not wait to get out of this hotel, and will not be going beck there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed August 7, 2012

August 4, 2012 was my 50th Birthday. The day started off really bad, first I tore my expensive birthday dress, 2nd on our 4 hour drive to St Louis there was an accident and we had to sit on the interstate for 2 hours before traffic moved praying all along not to run out of gas, 3rd the stress sent me into a Lupus Flare. But upon checking into Hilton Ballpark, I was greeted by an Angel, Ms. Lynette Foster, she had a great smile and just a calming and pleasing personality. Our room was not ready, however as I was walking away from the desk Lynette called me back to the desk and said I have a room on a lower level that also have a view of the Cardinals Stadium. I was like thank God, I told her today was my birthday and she was so nice to listen and not brush me off as so many customer service agents do. I’ve been staying at Hilton locations for over 10 years and Hilton REALLY MADE A GREAT DECISION TO HIRE LYNETTE. So if you go to Hilton Ball Park ask for Lynette Foster, I guarantee you she will turn your frown into a smile or shall I say a 50th Birthday into an Awesome day. Thank you Lynette….

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view but the one of the Cardinals Stadium is the best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BeachTravelBest
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The Hotel was just average. The staff was great, very friendly and helpful. The lobby was nice, but the room I was in was not. It was beat up, and although it was somewhat clean, it desperately needed an update. By far the best feature of this property is the views and its proximity to the Arch & Busch Stadium.

Room Tip: City view was great! So if you can't get ballpark or arch view, its not a bad alternative.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our recent stay for a weekend in St Louis was very disappointing. First, we weren't allowed to get HHonor points for our stay since we booked through Expedia. The reason we booked this way is because it was $40 cheaper per night versus what was published on the Hilton website. We didn't arrive for check-in until 4:30 and our rooms weren't cleaned yet. Then we had to climb stairs instead of using the elevator because they only had 2 elevators for 30+ floors. After being yelled at for standing in the wrong line (for 15 minutes) we were fed up and found the stairwell! Our rooms were nice enough, but the bathroom was so small, you couldn't close the door without hitting the toilet with the door. The shower head was coming out of the wall. I would have been ok with the small bathroom, elevator situation, etc if this was "value level" hotel. When you are paying $200 per night, you expect better quality and service.

• Stayed August 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed Saturday night at the hotel with the baseball package so we got two baseball tickets with our stay. As soon as we pulled up valet was welcoming and explained our parking options. When we walked in the door there were several staff members who all welcomed us. As my husband was checking in at the front desk the manager, Nic, asked me what brought us to town. I told him it was my husband's birthday. He gave me his cell # and said to text when we were checked in. He had cake sent to our room and met us at the bar later and bought us a round of drinks. Every staff member we encountered was extremely friendly. The hotel was clean, bed was comfortable and it was very convenient to all the downtown attractions. Several bars to choose from at the hotel. Cannot say enough good things about the hotel. We will be back for sure! Thanks to Nic and the staff for a great weekend!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Minster, Ohio
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel is nice and has many features. Its in a great location for a guys day out to see a ball game. Hooters and TGIF is just around the corner. The rooftop bar that looks down into the city, including seeing inside the ball park is a great feature. Fine dining is also nearby. An easy shuttle to the Casino is good, if you don't wish to drive.
The parking is expensive, but seems normal for down town St. Louis. The roof top bar is the happening place and full of nice people. I shall return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends