“Horrible experience - 4 rooms in one night”

Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
Ranked #37 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed January 17, 2012

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for a few nights via a reservation I booked on Hotiwre.com. I honestly have to say that the time I spent at this property was the worst experience I have ever endured at any hotel.

Upon arrival everything seemed fine- all oif the employees and the property itself seemed nice. Immediately after check-in, however, everything went downhill, and downhill fast.

Our first room was filthy. I picked up the guest services book and noticed it was caked in dust, like in hadnt been touched for months. The closet doors were filthy and full of dirt and dust also. The beds were made so quickly the bedskirts were half tucked into the mattress. We requested a move and were moved to another tower.

Our second room seemed fine until the power went out in the room. It didn't seem to affect the rest of the floor or the hotel in all, just our particular room. As we try to head downstairs, we push the button on the weird elevator system they have going on requesting to go to the lobby. The elevator monior replies "not available at this time". We waited there about 10 minutes before the one working elevator arrived.

Back to the original tower we are assigned to our third room. Again, everything seems initially fine (and by this time it is dark out) and we begin to get ready for the evening. The shower has no hot water- whatever, I'm sick of moving. I get ready and wait for my friend to do the same. When he is getting ready, the bathroom floods. A pipe under the sink is cracked/has burst and floods the whole restroom. Before heading out we pack up and get ready to move- AGAIN.

Our fourth room ended up working fine. The employees were accomidating for the most part and the general manager spoke with us at the 360 bar at the top of the hotel that evening (the employee/bartender at 360 by the name of Michelle actually called the general manager over for us after small talk about our experience at the Hilton. It was kind of surprising to me that she of all people offered to do this as nobody in the actual hotel itself did... She alone made the stay at this hotel not something completely horrible and I hope they understand that she is a complete asset to this establishment.) We were given a food and beverage credit in the end to alleviate part of our experience.

The employees here are rather good, but I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR YOU STAY ANYTIME IN ST. LOUIS. This place has a long way to go before even CONSIDERING calling itself a four-star hotel.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank im_monty
jeffmoll, Manager at Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review. It sounds as if you had quite an experience. Please allow me to apologize for the issues that you faced. I would appreciate any additional information that you could share with me to research how this went so wrong such as the dates that you stayed and the rooms that you were in. Please feel free to contact me personally. I am happy to hear that the people in the hotel made a difference and an effort was made to resolve you issues. I would like to invite you back to show you a more favorable experience.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

We recently completed our national convention at the Hilton by the Ballpark. The room rates and food & beverage rates were very competitive and below market rates for the St. Louis area. The sales team was easy to work with and very professional. The convention services team was top notch and provided our constituents with an outstanding experience. The entire team was empathetic to our needs and consistently exceeded our expectations. Our national convention will be returning in 2013.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the Trip Advisor review. This is a great location for business meetings. The meeting areas can handle very large conventions. And, on the other hand, smaller meetings are not overlooked. Our sales and operation staffs are prepared, detailed and guest service oriented. We look forward to hosting your group again in 2013, but hope to see you again before then.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed in the west tower, which was a good thing, given the conference going on at time of stay. Apparently most of conference attendees stayed in east tower and elevators were clogged up for hours. My kids loved the swimming pool, small but functional. They also loved the frozen yogurt place in the lobby. We were able to walk to several restaurants. Even though there was an extra charge, the parking garage to the southeast was very convenient.

Room Tip: Stay in the west tower if there is a conference or large group staying in hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
SurtinJ, Manager at Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return. We just completed 2011 and it was the 4th year in a row that we have led our market in occupancy, so we are a very popular hotel. Every year, we have hundreds of groups and when a gathering of several hundred people end a meeting, there may definitely be some congestion that briefly affects our elevators. However, the congestion usually dissipates quickly. Yo My Goodness, our Frozen Yogurt shop, will celebrate one year with us in February and has been a huge hit with guests, so we thank you for visiting Yo My Goodness and sharing your thoughts. Thank you again for taking your time to review Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark and we really do hope to see you again in the very near future!

Reviewed January 6, 2012

I was in town to visit my 90 year old great grandmother and I really enjoyed my stay! Everyone was amazing from Lynette at check-in, Shannon the breakfast host (she remembered my name the 2nd morning of breakfast without me having to tell her) to Erica the breakfast server. The hotel location is downtown and close proximity to public transportation. I had a room with a city view! I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay with us! We love hearing that we WOWED you with our service...we strive to do that with each and every guest! We hope to see you back again soon and the next time you stay with us, we recommend one of our Arch view or Busch Stadium View rooms! You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed January 1, 2012

Good location in downtown with a splendid view of busch stadium & Arch. Support staffs are awesome & very friendly, especially the staffs in Market street restaurant where I used to have my breakfast. They were very nice & friendly.

However this hotel has some genuine issues, not with people but with the overall infrastructure & amenities. I stayed in this hotel for 10 days in Dec 2011, and found that overall hotel infrastructure & amenities are quite outdated. I was staying in their west tower that stadium facing. To start with, west tower elevator was old fashion & not calibrated properly. It used to give jerk some times, which was really horrible. In my room amenities was pretty outdated be it alarm clock, shower or electric socket. Electric sockets are kind of very old & not properly placed in the room. Room service was kind of below average, they used to forget every day some thing or other thing while doing the room service. I had to call them every time for water, or tea packet..one day they forgot to keep soap pouch in my bathroom. Another thing which really annoyed that they did not keep fridge in my room even though I stayed there for 10 days. One more thing, I had a breakfast complimentary, however for all 10 days they never changed the menu, not sure why.
I had to stay another 15 days in st. louis, however I got better option in less price, so moved to another hotel after staying for 10 days Hilton.

Room Tip: Dont take room near vending machine. It will be very noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel back in October. I booked my trip almost 2 months in advance on Hotwire, and got a great rate for Hilton at the Ballpark. As luck would have it, my first night in Saint Louis(october 28) just happened to be the night of World Series game 7. My room on the 24th floor was clean, and tastefully decorated. I also had an excellent view of the ballpark from my room. I admit,catching the elevator was a bit taxing, but I was not in Saint Louis on busines, so Its not like I was in any rush. With that said, I did not mind the wait, and by the next day, the lines at the elevator had dwindled down to almost non existent. The atmosphere downtown that Friday night was electric. OH, and the rooftop bar is soooo sexy! The weather that weekend was great, and the view of downttown from the roof was amazing! As a native Saint Louisan who now lives in Nashville, I especially enjoyed having an Imos right in the lobby. I couldnt have chosen a better hotel for my weekend. I would definitely stay there again. I did notice alot of noise above us. Im not sure if it was construction, or machinery being operated on the roof. But like clockwork every morning, I would hear alot of thumping overhead. Other than that, the stay was perfect

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Good location in town overlooking the Cardinals ball park, but eerily quiet in the surrounding area over the weekend. I read the other reviews before travelling and was concerned about the elevator in the south tower and staying during over a football weekend.

However I had a great room in the north tower - with a conventional lift call button - so can't comment on the new system for the south tower. I didn't experience any issues or queues for the lifts or front desk. In fact, the lobby bar was extremely quiet and served great food. Recommended.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo