“Nice amenities, but difficulty with hidden costs/fees”

St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #21 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
New Paris, United States
“Nice amenities, but difficulty with hidden costs/fees”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We really enjoyed the service and amenities at Union Station Hotel; however, upon checking out, we were charged several "hidden" fees that we were not aware would be included. We also weren't initially given the discount pricing/group pricing for valet parking. The additional fees added up to over $200 total in addition to the fees we were expecting.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Middleton, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We get in Friday afternoon and my wife finds dental floss on the bathroom floor. Not good. We go to use the frig in the room Saturday and it was truly gross, unplugged and with rotting food in it. We complained twice and no action was taken until we complained a third time. Would we stay there again. Absolutely not because of the gross frig and the terrible customer response.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
I am SO Sorry this happened to you; I'm quite embarrassed to read this review and wish I had more information so I may follow-up with not only the Room Attendant who serviced this room, but also the Housekeeping Supervisor that inspected it. Please know that every room has two sets of eyes review it prior to making it ready for a new guest. I'd also like to know "when" you stayed so I may review reports to identify who dropped the ball with your request. We work hard to ensure guest requests are met within 15 minutes. If you find time I'd like to know more about the details of your visit. jessmyer@stlunionstationhotel.com

Forest City, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel is very elegant looking from the outside. I was given a king room in the garden area of the hotel. The bed was comfortable, check in was very good. The room itself was a bit dated. Rust stains in the bottom of the tub. No free internet and they charge for local calls. I have Verizon cell phone service and had NO service in my room. So I was forced to make one local call. As a customer I really dislike having to pay extra for things that should be included in a hotel stay. You have a nice place now please work on making your guests feel more "at home" and quit using us an ATM. I checked out of your hotel after one night and moved to a downtown hotel that was just as nice with free internet, free breakfast and evening reception and free local calls. At a lower price. I stayed there for two nights. Now guess where I will stay the next time I am in St. Louis?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very sorry your room was dated; we are currently renovating the old product and plan for work to be finished in September. I have not heard of any feedback regarding poor cell phone reception so I will watch/listen for additional feedback. If there is a need we will have repeaters installed to ensure reception is strong. We are a full-service, 4-Diamond hotel and as most full-service hotels internet comes with a fee. You will find that smaller, select-service hotels offer free internet to entice travelers since they have fewer amenities to offer in lieu. Each traveler prefers a different type of experience and chose their hotels based upon what is important to them and their families. I am always sad to lose a customer, but I'm happy you found a place you can enjoy.

Berea, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

In general it was a very nice stay and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I had requested some items be present in my room upon my arrival that were not there, but when I called and asked about this it was fixed immediately and I was not charged for the items and was given a complimentary bottle of wine. I ordered room service it was very prompt and when they did not have the brand root beer I wanted they substituted it with the brand available but at no charge to me. The rooms were clean and quiet. The beds very comfortable. The lobby bar was very comfortable to lounge in and relax in the evening with a marvelous light show on the ceiling that changes each time it is show. I will certainly staff there again when in St Louis because of the hospitality and good location to attraction. Great Stay!!!!!!

Port Orchard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were stunned when we walked into the great hall. It was so beautifully restored. The projection show was a wonderful surprise. We watched it several times. The brunch in the restaurant was the best meal we had during our stay in Missouri. I hope we have a reason to visit there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

St Louis, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Excellent venue for the Emerson Innovation Conference. Meeting rooms were appropriately configured, and the Ballroom was a first-rate venue for the keynote addresses. Catering was first class. Not entirely sure why a review must be a minimum of 200 characters, A maximum I can understand, but a minimum!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Cedar Rapids, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

When we bookeda re room and when we checked in no one told us about construction until we were woke up at 8:00 am to lots of power tools next door. I asked it the same would occur on Saturday morning (the next day) becasue I was willing to move hotels to avoid it. I was assured there would be no construction the next day but was woke up but power tools at 8 am again.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I am terribly sorry that our renovations ruined your visit; I will agree they are not fun but a necessary part of creation. We have posted signs at our Front Desk and disclaimers in most of our guestrooms. Because we don't know the extent of renovation noise until days prior to each guest's visit we have our staff call guests prior to their arrival to share information with guests. However, reservations through third parties do not supply us with any email addresses or phone numbers to contact you. I am also sorry that weekend work was decided to continue without notice. For readers of the review I'm excited to say that with only two guest floors left to renovate the noise is now deeper into the building and is less intrusive that it has been all year long. All of our garden guestrooms will be finished by September!