“service excellent, ammenities not so much”

St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #21 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
west hartford, United States
“service excellent, ammenities not so much”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The service at this hotel was excellent. Everyone I met was courteous and firendly. The wifi was terrible and I couldn't use it at all in my room without getting dropped. The housekeeping was substandard. They were undergoing renovations so I expect that will help with the poor wifi, but they really need to work on their standards of housekeeping. There was trash on my bathroom floor that after one full day I finally picked up. They pulled my shower curtain down off a couple of rungs on one visit and I had to wipe shavign cream off the back of the sink.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our property and for your patience with our internet. YOU ARE CORRECT; Charter high-speed internet will be installed as part of this summer's renovation providing our guests with new speeds 5x faster and stronger!!! Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and their passion for service. I'll be sharing your feedback with our Housekeeping team. Without knowing your specific room I'll address the entire department, but I imagine it is just one Attendant that needs to be reminded we're a 4-Diamond property. If ever I can help to make your next stay perfect please contact me.

Warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Wichita, United States
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Hotel under renovation. Okay, but would have been nice to know when making reservatons. Staff very friendly. Room - disappointed and not worth expense. Very low water pressure in shower, loud fan w/ manual temp control w/o auto mode . Stingy on amenities, i.e. water glasses. Early am disturbance in hall w/ broken beer bottles still present in morning (but promply attended to by mgmt once I informed them) Just didn't feel we received the value paid for.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your feedback--I am terribly sorry that your experience was so far below our standard of excellence. Hilton only asks for renovation announcements be made if our pool or restaurant is under renovation. I will send your suggestion to our brand manager for consideration. We do make calls to all our guests who have valid phone numbers on file two days prior to their stay to share and discuss their trip so we can make the visit that much better. I know it's too late, but I want you to know that we have 539 rooms and a large engineering team that work tirelessly to keep them up and running. If you had trouble with water, heat, cooling, or noise we could have corrected EVERYTHING for you--or moved you to another part of the hotel. Please be vocal and let us know if we are missing the mark--our staff is trained to make it right for our guests. I hope you'll join us after renovation to enjoy what we are creating!

Wichita, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Room was very quiet which was awesome. Hotel was very secure and safe. No refrigerator and would have liked to have one. Dirty sock left by previous traveler in drawer. Tub/Shower had rust area. Coffee pot did not work at all, but they replaced it on our third day. We expected for $170/night that the room would have been more luxurious....without rust spots, toilet would have been cleaned thoroughly, frig in room, etc.

Michigan
Reviewed March 13, 2014

This beautiful old hotel has so much history. Have a cocktail and people watch, the popcorn with pistachios was addictive!! It's easy to marvel at the amazing architecture, you must read the story and take a stroll through the halls!!!

Yakima, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2014

carry on with your remodel I saw the anticipatd laser show and am so excited I will have to come back, yes the room are dated, my biggest complaint is the dirty bathtub. I ASKED MY FRIEND IF SHE HAD SHOWERED WHEN SHE SAID no I was grossed OUT, also the toilet paper roll holder must not have been wiped down in ages, kinda built up paper dust.. The facility is beautiful and great location, rode the trolley and metro easily. would come back definetly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Wichita
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Group of sisters having meeting were load and annoying to other guests. They were loud in rooms, in some cased profanity in language when in halls and talking in hall ways to people in rooms. Blocking aisles, and in many cases some of there own group was apologizing to your other guests for foul language. You staff was extremely nice and this is not about them, it is about guests who do not conduct them selves and grown ups.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review and for your patience during your visit. We did receive some feedback such as yours during this group's visit and shared it with their contacts/planners. We will never turn a "blind-eye" to the behavior of our guests and will always work to take action whenever possible. Thank you for understanding and if ever I can assist you in the future, as thanks, please contact me.

Carroll, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The venue in the historic St. Louis Union Depot is great, in that it is a beautiful building and they have an awesome Tiffany Window. I can forgive that they are undergoing renovation so the main room was not usable, but there are several issues that made this a really bad hotel. 1. Staff never informed us that the water would be shut off, so the prep for our event took much longer. They did offer the use of a shower in another room at the end of the Bataan Death March, but that would not have been necessary had we been told earlier. Not at check-in, not in a call, not in a note on the door. Nada. 2. Our view would normally have been a premium shot. We overlooked the pond with its half-operational fountains. There is the Hard Rock Café. There's Landry's. And there is...oh my God...is that a dead fish. YES! And there were more. Dozens. Hundreds. The koi pond has frozen and our late winter stay featured a thaw where we could see the fish in their Pompeii-like death throes. Some were half in the water, some had bunched together near the shore or ceiling support pillars. Other bobbed playfully in the water that had thawed. Gross. 3. The shops in Union Station are mostly closed. While not the fault of the hotel, this is certainly an issue for the venue itself. Sad, really, as I remember it when it was full of activity. 4. I have a weight restriction and mobility issues post-surgery. The only way to get mu luggage to my car was to either lug it down the stairs or hoof it a couple of blocks, going back to the rooms, down a hall, and through a lower level of the hotel. I could also tip a bellman, but that seemed ridiculous. They should have made the elevator accessible during construction. Not too ADA-friendly there. Once the group of teens helped with luggage as we struggled down the steps, the bellman leaped to help out and then stood by my car expecting a tip - the same one who informed me that the elevator was not working and that I - with mobility issues - needed to trek a distance. Nice. 5. The beds were soft. For me, this was GREAT. Combined with the feather pillows, I had the best night's sleep that I had had in the 5 months since my back surgery. This is why they get a "poor" instead of a "terrible". Between the koi and the shower, this really was a bad experience. 6. The furnishings were ancient. The lamps were so old that the shades were brittle. I noticed this when checking out the gang tags on the underside of the shade in my friend's room. In summary, my friend noted that this Hilton family property was more Paris than Conrad.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review--and for your use of humor which helped me get through it without getting angry. I'll try to be as concise as I can and still address your 6 items; anytime water must be worked on there is a letter (that I've written) that is expected to be delivered if service will be interrupted. I am sorry this wasn't delivered to your guestroom—this has been addressed with staff. Your feedback about the koi pond has been forwarded to the complex Director for resolution—thank you! The new owners of the complex are working with designers (as you read this) creating the vision of what the retail part of the station will become in 2015--like this entire historic treasure, it needs work and the money has been committed to making it memorable again! With the sprawling nature of our property Bellman assistance is a necessity (just like valet parking)--you don't have to tip them (but they do appreciate it when it happens). They are here to enhance the experience and prevent guests from feeling as you felt--please use them next time. Thank you for the compliment on our soft beds--I like them too. Our guestroom renovation is moving along very nicely and we'll see our first 44 BRAND NEW rooms in 4 weeks!!! Any guest who comes to a hotel and still wishes to do the work themselves will not enjoy their stay as much as those guests that drop their car, bags, and worries at the door and let the well-trained staff carry them through a wonderful experience. Please let us serve you next time—you will enjoy it.