“Beautiful old train station, mediocre hotel”

St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #22 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Great hotel in an awesome old train station. The lobby area is a great place to sit. Unfortunately, we had hoped to stay in a historic hotel/building, but most of the rooms are in buildings that were probably built in the 90's (or so) behind the old station. Most rooms face a courtyard of sorts with some tacky overhang thing, and while comfortable and clean, the rooms are very dated.

Service was so-so; I don't want to be hypercritical, but it was one of those things where the staff was 'fine", but definitely not overreaching to provide service.

The only real issues I had were in the wifi (very poor service/inconsistent) and the showerhead was broken (it hung straight down and wouldn't adjust; I asked the hotel twice during the stay to have someone come up and fix it, but it never happened).

Doubletree cookies are amazing - that's always a plus.

I wouldn't stay here again - but if in town, visit the lobby.

Room Tip: Wifi works very poorly in at least 2 rooms of the hotel, and spotty in the lobby. Very inconsistent...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Matthew R, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Greetings from the Station, PJL60654! Thank you for leaving a review of you recent stay with us. I'm so sorry to hear that you had a less than stellar experience and I thank you for the candid feedback. We take the satisfaction of our guests very seriously and I am disappointed to read how we failed you during your stay. The hotel is about to begin a very aggressive renovation that will address many of the issues you mentioned in your review. The next time you're in St. Louis, please stop by and let us show you our new guest room product. I think you'll be very impressed...

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Bizarre layout - not their fault. Highlight was the phone call I got describing the room I had accepted online as far from the elevator - thought I later found out that the rooms are far from everything except a depressing empty dying shopping mall. Hotel lobby is historic, beautiful and really great. But it's not where you will be sleeping. You pull up to hotel lobby to check in and valet takes your keys - regardless of letting them know your intention to check in and self park. I hated this and am not familiar with this practice from big US and international cities. Less than helpful when you then reclaim your keys for said self parking. I echo a prior reviewer that the self parking is acres away and very, very confusing, requiring you to take a parking stub at an automatic station anyway. I'm from Chicago and am familiar with unconventional parking but this just didn't make sense and the valet guys were not at all helpful. Wound up calling the desk parked outside of the ticket machine for clarification. But can't avoid valet guys when you check in. Check in was fine but the doubletree cookie isn't all that for me so I declined it. Room was old and musty. Yes the windows open which I did like. Vents dirty like earlier posts mention and photograph. Sheets not-quite-white. Lotta noise by the ice machine. Seemed mostly vacant. No mention of hhonors gold at check in. Internet wifi did not allow log in on iPad or iPhone or normal hhonors gold/platinum login. Poor all around. Would not stay here again. Thought I was upgrading when I saw a last minute low price in the hilton website so switched from the Hampton inn on forest park to this hotel. I was wrong. Would rather have stayed at that hotel which is predictably good. This hotel has potential with the facility but has huge huge flaws.

Room Tip: None are close to your car.
2  Thank C B
Matthew R, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Hello C B!
Thank you for dropping by TripAdvisor to leave a review of your stay with us. While we prefer to see more positive guest experiences, we do appreciate your candid feedback.
We realize that our location in the historic St. Louis Union Station is unique and can be a little confusing to first time guests. That tells me that my team at the front desk needs to do a better job at explaining the hotel and parking options to guests when they check in. I'll take that feedback as an action item (thank you!) I am also disappointed that you were not recognized as a HHonors Gold member. That is one area we are truly working to improve.
Your feedback regarding the condition of your room does disturb me. We are about to embark on a very agressive remodel that will give new life to our guest rooms. The entire hotel will be "brand new" again and many of the flaws you've mentioned will be no more.
I am sorry that we failed to provide you with a less-than-stellar experience. Although you mention that you'd never stay with us again (and, given the experience you tell about, I can certainly understand) I would really like to invite you back, as my guest, to let us attempt to "make it right" for you.
Please reach out to me at your convenience (mrankert@stlunionstationhotel.com) if you'd like to take me up on this offer. We are human in this hotel and humans do make mistakes. But we are so much better than the experience you had on your first visit. Please allow us to show you.

Kind regards,
Matthew Rankert
Front Office Manager - St. Louis Union Station Hotel

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Last weekend we had approximately 25 rooms booked by guests attending our son's wedding and we could not have had a better experience. The hotel staff is amazing, caring, friendly and helpful. From the moment we arrived we were greeting with the amazing staff who took care of all of our needs and exceeded our expectations.

This is the perfect hotel for multiple guests attending a wedding, or any event. The lobby bar in the beautiful old part of the hotel was a great gathering place for everyone going in and out. So fun since you could see everyone coming and going. Our large room on the 5th floor was big enough to hold our out of town guests for drinks and snacks, and to watch a little football, between the ceremony and the reception.

My husband and sons stayed in the old part of the hotel above the lobby, where our rooms were large with vaulted ceilings. This part of the hotel is so charming and where we have always stayed.

This is definitely our hotel of choice when visiting St. Louis.

Room Tip: Choose one of the rooms in the Union Station part of the hotel, rooms are charming and closer to the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Matthew R, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Hello MizzouMom01! I am beaming with pride after reading your wonderful review of our hotel! I loved reading every word and will certainly share your kind thoughts with everyone here at the Station. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon and we thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here is Summer of 2013. Hotel is very conveniently located to Amtrak and within walking distance of Busch Field and the Arch. The hotel is the old Union Station making it beautiful old building. Overall I had poor experience with the housekeeping staff, at the breakfast buffet and in the hotel bar. The people at the front desk were friendly in other areas people were not attentive or friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Greetings from the Station, diamondHH and thank you for stopping by TripAdvisor to share your review of our hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed the location of our hotel but am disappointed that you found our service to be lacking. Since you visited us back in the summer, I'd like to reassure you that we're consistently taking steps to improve the experience our guests have when they stay with us. I hope you'll consider visiting us again the next time you are in St. Louis!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

My daughter booked the Bridal Suite for her wedding. The room was amazingly large and well furnished. Many of us (the parents and wedding party) spent a lot of time in the room with make-up and dressing the bride. The whole experience was wonderful! And the pictures taken at the hotel are beautiful. I can't wait to see Union Station after the next round of renovations. It's nice that it is being restored to it's former glory.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hello Jaye K and thank you for stopping by to review our hotel on TripAdvisor! It was such a pleasure to have your family here for your daughter's wedding. Hope to welcome you back to the Station again soon!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you're traveling to St Louis you definitely need to check out the DoubleTree at Union Station. It's walking distance to all of the stadiums and the hotel staff are among the nicest I've dealt with. The hotel is gorgeous. Oh and after your nightly run the doormen and valet are waiting there with cold bottles of water for you! Stop by the lobby bar and ask Josh to make you a banana fosters martini!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Matthew R, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hello Marty B and thank you for taking a moment to write this terrific review of our hotel! We always love to receive feedback like this and are very pleased that you consider the Station as your "home away from home." We strive to make every guest feel at home during their time with us and feedback like yours tells us we are on track! See you again soon!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is a little hard to review as the lodging is located in the old Union Station building. The hotel is magnificent in design and is also attached to an enclosed shopping mall. It appears to be still under improvement but seemed to lack very many people around. It has great potential and if more stores come to the mall it will be even better, but there is more work to be done to make this the "place to come". The accommodations were good though and other than a lack of happy servers at the hotel restaurant for breakfast my stay was good. Josh the bartender and the hostess' in the lobby bar were the best! Very down home and friendly. I would probably stay here again though as it provide more than many of the other hotels around.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Greetings from the Station, Donald B! Thank you for taking a moment to tell others about your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our beautiful hotel and our Grand Hall Bar. One of our goals is to be a Four Diamond hotel that offers Five Star service. Your comment that we offer more than other hotels in the area tells me that we are on the right track toward meeting that goal! We hope to welcome you again soon!