St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #23 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed at the Union Station Double Tree with another family as we were there for the Color Run. The location was perfect. The hotel, although older, we very cool. The staff was great. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Matthew R, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Hello Darcy P! Thank you for the review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

There are newer reviews for St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I happened to stay at Union Station while renovation was going on outside my window overlooking the courtyard. The pics of the restroom looked nothing like it. It was very small, curtain was falling off railing and lacked light. Another disappointment was the lack of outlets available in the room itself. We had to iron at the only outlet available at the front door along with charging our phones. The only positive about the whole thing was the restaurant. It was reasonably priced for breakfast buffet and very classy. I definetly would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Hotel Lobby is very impressive, staff was very helpful and friendly. Perfect Location to see Historic Downtown St. Louis. Union Station has so much history in itself you really could spend lots of time at the Hotel just exploring the facility. Lobby is so impressive I could have spent hours there taking photos. You'll Love This Place!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Matthew R, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Gary B. -

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with us here at the Station! We appreciate your feedback and are so happy you enjoyed your stay.

Please visit us again the next time your destination is St. Louis! We look foward to seeing you and sharing more of our history with you.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

If it had not been for the amazing lobby, I would have rated the hotel even lower. The rooms are way over due for a facelift, and the entire station mall is under construction. The room I checked into originally was not clean, then my new keys did not open the door of my new room. The bottom sheets were so old that the elastic no longer held to the mattress, so we woke up every morning with the sheets wrapped around us. We did not get access to the VIP lounge (I am Diamond VIP) until our last night. I would be interested to revisit this property after the construction is complete. The worst Hilton experience I have ever had.

Room Tip: It seems that the rooms in the main station area were nice. Saw now as the door was open for housek...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew R, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear BizTraveller48180,

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. We agree, it's time for a facelift and that's exactly what is happening all around us. As I'm sure you noticed, there's a lot happening here and even though we're making improvements for the future, we're currently experiencing the "pain of change" in some areas.

I apologize that your stay with us was far less than perfect. Obviously we never want to send a guest to a room that hasn't been properly cleaned and inspected. And as an HHonors Diamond member, even if the concierge lounge was closed during your stay, you should have been provided with complimentary breakfast in our Station Grille.

When business or personal reasons next make St. Louis your destination, please allow us to give you a different impression of our hotel. I value your feedback and thank you for taking the time to write.

Kind regards,
Matthew Rankert
Front Office Manager
St. Louis Union Station Hotel

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Some of you may say this review is my own fault for being too picky, which I don't entirely dispute, but here is where my real issue comes in. This is not a 4 star hotel! All my issues relate with that misrepresentation. While the place is large and feels more resort like at times, the quality of the service and facilities are not of 4 star quality. It is a 3 star hotel, at very best a 3+ and I think they should be OK with that. Not sure how triple AAA gave them a 4 diamond award but it is what is...but if they listed themselves as 3 star everyone would be happy as expectations would be more properly set. Any hotel with metal gates and a key card required to get in to your hallway is not a 4 star hotel.
This place is a huge glorified Marriott Courtyard hotel. With the layout some may call it unique, more might just call it weird. There were some nice touches, a cookie at check-in, and some other things, but overall the quality of the rooms, quality of the service, and quality of the rest of the facility are sub-par. The rooms have a 2/3 star bathroom, the maid service left some of my towels on the ground, extremely loud air conditioner pack in the room, old cheap windows, that kind of stuff.
The other frustrating part was I prepaid for the free wifi, breakfast, and the concierge level. Well guess what, wifi is already free! Why exactly is that a perk to my rate? And the concierge level included breakfast so why did I need both, and that level doesn't have any free booze so it wasn't much assistance. In addition, while I had access to that concierge level I wasn't in a room anywhere near it.
The place is under construction now however I didn't feel it affected the stay negatively as they were fairly discreet about the work and only on-site 9-5.
I will not return. Set expectations lower and you will be OK, expect a 4 star and be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank App19
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Location at the old St Louis Union Station was really nice. The conversion of the train station and especially the train shed into a hotel / shopping arcade / museum is well done and a fun place to visit, However construction is still going on. My hotel room left a lot to be desired. I have NEVER seen such a lumpy uncomfortable bed in my life. The paint (yes they actually painted it) in the bath tub was peeling and totally missing in several places. The paint on the walls and door jambs was scuffed and missing in places. The in-room internet had to be repaired 3 thimes during my 4 day stay. the Check-in staff and maid service was below average. I've seen better overall in one star rated motels.The resturaunt and convention facilities were acceptable. Once my back heals from "trying" to sleep on that bed, I wont be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2013

You can't really beat the hotel as an impressive place in its public spaces, or for its service. The lobby is nearly breathtaking and is a great place to sit and have a drink. The staff, from the valet to the check-in to housekeeping, to the concierge to the bell desk could not possibly have been friendlier or more helpful. In particular I want to thank Varfee who was at the bell desk and took me upstairs for a better photographic viewpoint of the lobby. He was informative and interesting.

The rooms, at least the one I stayed in, are pretty much standard issue Hilton Doubletree rooms, which is to say that they are fine, comfortable, clean though nothing truly special. Apparently the rooms are in the process of being renovated and the one that I was in could use some - the toilet required handle jiggling, or even tank top lifting and adjustment every time I flushed it. The cold water handle on the sink was loose.

I will happily stay here again. The location is great and sitting in the lobby is truly special.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Eric S,

Thank you for staying with us when you were in St. Louis recently! I loved reading that you enjoyed our beautiful Grand Hall and found our team to be friendly and helpful, especially Var Fee. I'm so glad he took you to the upper level of the Grand Hall so you could enjoy the view. It's a very special place and the view from that vantage point is fantastic.

We are about to embark on a very industrious renovation of our guest rooms and look forward to showing you our progress the next time your destination is St. Louis.

Thank you for visiting us at the Station!

Kind regards,