“Loved our stay here”

Ranked #24 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Denver
“Loved our stay here”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Frankly we were shocked when we walked into the lobby. We spent at least an hour looking around at the architecture. The rooms were vey quaint and quiet. The service really was great. We fell in love with this hotel and if are ever passing through again we will stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
STLUSDoubleTree, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for the kind words! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Union Station Hotel. The lobby and architecture around our hotel really are one-of-a-kind! Again, I thank you for your stay, positive review and cannot wait to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Virginia
Reviewed December 18, 2012

This was my first stay at this hotel since it was acquired by Hilton/DoubleTree. I am happy to report it was a great experience. They gave me a warm cookie on check in. My interaction with the staff was the front desk and valet parking personnel. Both were awesome. Genuinely friendly. I reviewed the restaurant separately so I won't go into a lot of detail. Suffice it to say that it was a worthwhile experience. My only complaint about the room is that the water pressure in the shower was lower than I prefer. Apart from that, the room was what you would expect from this class of hotel. If you haven't been to St. Louis, this hotel is in the Grand Central Station, which must have been pretty awesome in the Iron Horse era. It's definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank John R
STLUSDoubleTree, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our historic hotel! I'm glad you had a wonderful time with us, enjoyed the Station Grille restaurant and your cookie was warm and delicious. Thank you again and we look forward to your return to St. Louis.
Kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I chose this hotel as it is now a Doubletree Hotel (Hilton affiliated) and due to its basically being a historic location. The hotel is beautiful, and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to an executive level room by Erin at the front desk. She also provided us with BBQ suggestions as my husband had made that request in advance. She was delightful and is truly an asset to the Hilton name.

Our room was wonderful, but there was not much of a view; however, we did have access to the concierge level, so breakfast, cocktails and desserts were a short walk from our room. We could not get over how helpful and accommodating the entire hotel staff was during our stay. From the doorman to the motor valets to the bellmen to Cedric and Qiana in the concierge room, as well as the hotel managers on duty, absolutely everyone was gracious and went out of their way to make sure our stay met expectations.

We will definitely be back as it was my first visit to St. Louis, but I hope to make it a regular stop at some point while on business and for pleasure. Thanks to all who made our stay so worthwhile. We greatly appreciated your efforts! I highly recommend this location when you are staying for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the executive level rooms on the one side of the hotel. Plus it was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
STLUSDoubleTree, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Rosebudmi,

I truly appreciate the kind words about our hotel and gracious staff, and we at the Union Station Hotel are thrilled you enjoyed your stay! I will pass on your praises to Cedric, Qiana and Erin. They will be so happy they made a positive impact on your St. Louis trip. Again, thank you for staying with us and we can't wait to welcome you back with a warm cookie!

Tim
greenwood, mo
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We just returned from a two night, three day stay at the Union Statin Doubletree-by-Hilton.
There is poor parking, a disorganized staff, improper signage, and the neighborhood is creepy!
We arrived, but since there is very limited parking to pull up in front, we were advised to go around the back and park in a "public" area. The back parking lot is VERY far away from the main entrance. We had to drag our luggage, not only to the reception area, but through a shopping mall, with myriad steps and levels. VERY POOR SIGNAGE. Hard to find the entrance to the lobby, from the back parking lot which is very far away. SO MANY STEPS that no handicapped person could find this hotel easy. Nor would any person who has limited walking capacity, as the rooms are far away also and in a maze like area. MOST CONFUSING! We had no room service , no beds made, new soaps provided,(Sat); valet parking took at least a half an hour advance notice. I tried to call the switchboard for a Sunday morning wake up call. The switchboard did not answer after trying for thirty minutes, but finally replied with the answer, "I am sorry, I am the only one on duty and was busy giving people directions." Our wake up call was 15 minutes late, with the same excuse. MYRIAD steps to master with suitcases; hard to find elevators with poor signage. The only people in the back parking lot were seedy looking characters, carrying whiskey flasks in paper bags. For a Hilton, it is a disgrace! And did I mention there is no free breakfast, even coffee. I DO NOT RECOMMEND! Management has to make many improvements, if this hotel is to survive!

Room Tip: Rooms are in a maze like cluster....easy to get lost....and very very far from the entrance. So...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
STLUSDoubleTree, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! I am so sorry that your stay was not as smooth as it should have been. Your feedback is very important and I want you to know that all of what you speak about is soon to be corrected. For instance, the new signage package around the building has been ordered and we are waiting for delivery to install. I would like to personally follow-up with your stay (especially looking into your comments about the lack of Housekeeping service). If you find time please email me at jessmyer@stlunionstationhotel.com; my name is Jeremiah Essmyer, Assistant General Manager.

What you experienced are the remnants of the past. With our new ownership and leadership, improvements to this historic building have already begun and will continue until the St. Louis Union Station Hotel - A Doubletree by Hilton is the premiere destination for St. Louis travel. I hope to hear from you soon.

Happy Holidays,
Jeremiah Essmyer
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel is now a Doubletree and the cab drivers are a little confused by that!
The hotel's lobby is just beautiful, set in the old Union Station. The rooms are a bit of a walk away. My room was newly renovated with a two queen beds, new linens etc. Pretty standard for a Doubletree hotel. The hotel offers valet parking and the breakfast buffet was one of the nicer ones I've had in a hotel, and more reasonably priced than most.
You need to drive downtown as it's too far to walk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kateoz
STLUSDoubleTree, Front Office Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your breakfast in the Station Grille. Our chefs take pride in their profession and it really shows! Again, thank you for staying with us and we can't wait to welcome you back with a freshly baked DoubleTree cookie.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed November 25, 2012

After reading some bad reviews, I was worried about staying here. When we first arrived we looked around before checking in. The hotel is beautiful. The mall part is not impressive. Yes it has touristy shops, but who will most likely be visiting this place? Tourists. And yes there were homeless people walking around but we were never asked for money and I never felt like I was in danger (even at night). Just be aware of your surroundings (which you should do no matter where you travel) There is a beautiful pond out back with a TON of fish that love to be fed. Hard Rock cafe is right behind the pond. Their food was not bad either.

When we finally checked in, the lady at the front desk was friendly and offered us cookies (that were really good) and got us checked in quickly. Now our first room was a little hard to find and had a few problems with it so back to the front desk we went to see if it could be fixed. Without any problems, we were given a new room (which was much nicer!). Very clean, spacious, quiet and the bed was very comfy.

Location of the hotel was close to everything. Full of history. Everyone that we encountered that worked there was friendly and helpful. Now the room service prices were high in my opinion. But overall I was satisfied.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brittni R
STLUSDoubleTree, Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Helayne76,

Thank you for your kind words! I am glad you enjoyed our fabulous lobby space, found a guestroom to fit your needs and liked our delicious cookies! We look forward to welcoming you back.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed there recently the night of the Paul McCartney concert (11/11/12). There were many concert goers staying there too since it is down the street from the venue. We came back from the concert and the bar was closed (11:00 pm). There were 50 ish people in the lobby looking for a night cap. The website says the lobby bar is open until 1:00 am. We thought we would do an end run and order room service, but the desk said they too were closed. We watched a variety of people do the same thing we did with no luck. I have never heard of a hotel not wanting to make a buck on booze. The front desk at both check in and after the concert were unimpressive and uninterested and certainly not the typical Hilton go the extra mile type.

The hotel itself is in desperate need of some TLC. Furnishings were very dated and some what warn. Hilton just took it over so one would expect there will be upgrades. The whole development was just sold and the new owners have good plans, I would expect improvements to come in the physical part of the hotel to come. Overall Union station is a beautiful place in a good location. The staff just needs some polish.

• Stayed November 2012
BB2_10
I am very appreciative of your response. Thank you for bringing to my attention to front desk staff that you encountered. It’s reviews like yours that give us the opportunity to grow as a hotel.