St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #21 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
NC
“Getting Tired”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I've stayed at this property about a dozen times over the past few years and it's starting to become more and more in need of some renovation. The lobby and common areas are still amazing, but the rooms themselves are getting a little dated. Very clean and comfortable and the staff/service is outstanding. Rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. Not enough outlets in the room. Only 1 on the desk and either the bedside lamp or the chair lamp had to remian unplugged as there weren't enough outlets in the room. Wireless internet service was just abysmal. Getting connected was a hassle, it wasn't free, and I constantly had dropped connections, loss of signal, had to login in again and again. I've been a loyal fan of this hotel but it's getting a little dated and tired and I'm likely to choose another property in the area for my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Brussels
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I guess that all you really need to know about this hotel has already been said many times before. Yes, Union Station is pretty impressive when arriving, and entering the lobby is indeed downright spectacular. Rooms could use a makeover, but are spacious and the beds are fairly comfortable. There’s no safe, no fridge/minibar and for all I know, no breakfast (although the small coffee bar in the mall below serves reasonable food and can put the expenses on your room).
What I haven't read much about though, is the location. The mall in the old Union Station, adjacent to the hotel, is pretty sad (many shops closed, only the food court seems to thrive) and you won't find many bars or restaurants within reasonable walking distance. It's quite a walk to downtown St. Louis, but why would you go through that trouble when you find there's actually nothing to do there either? So at the end of the day you may find yourself having that drink in the lobby, which, given the surroundings, is probably your best option.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MarGio06
North Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very nostalgic and while some of the common areas are a little outdated (especially the carpet) it wasn't quite as bad as I was led to believe it would be from some of the reviews I read here. I would definitely say for the price of the rooms there will be a slight disappointment, which is why I rated it a 3. My room (3309) was clean and was like any other Marriott I have stayed in, with two double beds, a table, entertainment center and a fairly spacious bathroom. Internet is not free at this particular hotel unless you are an "Elite" Marriott Rewards Member. Let's just say there is no view for this room...basically a tree, two walls and if you look real hard a tiny glimpse of the pond and outdoor dining deck of (the conveniently located) Landry's Seafood.

We were there for a conference and because of our schedule we used room service for our breakfast on 2 mornings and one dinner. On our last morning we dined in the Station Grille, and that was because our room steward didn't leave a new room service tag for us to complete and hang on the door the night before. The food was great from both room service and the Grille...no complaints at all! We used the room service tag nightly, which had to be hung on the door by midnight each night. Both mornings they were prompt in their delivery (and I mean prompt! - we chose 8:00 - 8:15 and both mornings there were there at 8:00 on the dot). Room service will cost you around 15 - 20 per person, but you get plenty of food. The night we ordered dinner, it was late (around 10:30pm) and again, they were prompt with the delivery time we were given. The food was excellent, as was the presentation. We ordered shrimp cocktails, tomato basil soup (soup of the day), and a crab and corn chowder soup. The Grille is buffet style for the breakfast serving, was 14.95 (including your drink), again, great food!

Now one thing that REALLY made me want to give the hotel a higher rating was the employees. Seriously, they were all so friendly and helpful, always! Everyone in our group commented on this. From the doorman to the room service staff, the Grille staff, front desk, you name it they were great. I never saw our room steward, but my only complaint about our stay would have to be that they neglected to leave new washcloths once and didn't vacuum up a small (accidental) mess I made on the floor one day (dropped a cracker and stepped on it before I could stop myself). I got up what I could, but there was no attempt by the cleaning staff otherwise. Basically the beds were made and new towels were dropped off each day.

There were a lot of comments about the mall and how sparse the stores are now. They are right, there is one whole side of the mall that seems to be closed, but one side seemed to be doing ok now. Definitely stop at the Fudgery; great fudge!! The majority of upstairs seemed to be food, with a couple of shops, while the downstairs was opposite, with more shops than food.

The Metrolink is very convenient to the hotel. A daily ticket was $7.50; one way trip was $2.25; it took you most anywhere you wanted to go. It was a clean and fast mode of transportation. Also convenient (walking distance) to the hotel was the Hard Rock Cafe and Landry's Seafood.

This hotel is a neat hotel with a lot to offer. It is definitely a place everyone should stay once, just for its uniqueness.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank scubascrapper
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Good to see a fine building preseved and still thronging with people. A beautiful lobby area for a drink and to meet other guests. The rooms despite reading reviews were comfortable and far from being a problem we enjoyed the Alice in Wonderland corridors getting to them. There was a half decent Oirish sports bar nearby which was ok for a scoop. St Louis itself is a very pretty city and we totally got the Arch gatewayto the west thing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Iain H
Limerick, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just returned from a 3-night stay. The building itself is gorgeous, with a cool "whispering wall" feature. The lobby, equally spectacular. But that's really where it ends. As a silver Marriott member, I was guaranteed a king bed at check in, but only had the options of a handicap-accessible king, or a "parlor" with a king murphy bed. So weird. I chose double queen. Unfortunately, I was assigned a room down in the dungeon (1st floor). Hard to get to, and a very long walk from the elevators, down dark/dank/loud/creepy hallways. Once in, I realized the room looked out at the pool, which seems lovely, but once again, single young woman traveling alone does not equal a great choice for a ground-level walk-in/look-in room. I HATE having to keep the curtains closed my entire stay!
The room itself was fair. It could absolutely use some updating in decor, and some work on the peeling ceiling in the shower. The toilet ran for 10 seconds every 3 or 4 minutes. The. entire. time. I didn't want to deal with maintence during my limited "relax" time in the room, so I put up with the obnoxious noise. Bed was comfortable.
Hotel's location was great, but I found St. Louis eerily empty. Lots of very clean, but empty/unsold/boarded up buildings - everywhere. More homeless than I've ever seen in Philadelphia. Lack of nicer restaurants. Dissapointing. I had heard such good things about the city too.

Room Tip: Don't accept anything on the first floor. Ugh.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had a national conference at this hotel. It was very hard on the body because it was such a long walk to our room. We had to go down 3-4 long hallways to get to it. Considering we were at an all day conference, we couldn't really "go back to the room" in between meetings because it was a 20 minute walk to get back to the room! The hotel staff did not notify the food court that there would be a large national conference in town. The food court was overwhelmed at lunch time. At dinner time, that food court becomes scary. Our room itself could have used some updating. I know it's supposed to be "historical", but it could use some updating. It seemed very dark and dingy, dirty almost.

Room Tip: Our rooms were dark and dirty, a long walk down the halls. I hear that the rooms closer to the lobby...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott for a long weekend. We were disappointed with how far the Union station hotel was from Busch Stadium and the Arch (about a mile). The hotel also felt pretty dated. The bed was very comfortable, but we felt like the privacy was lacking because the curtains do not close all the way. There are sheer curtains that close, but the light comes right through. I didn't like that you would have to pay $12.95 for internet for a day and the average breakfast would cost $15 a person. I probably wouldn't choose to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple