The hotel is very nostalgic and while some of the common areas are a little outdated (especially the carpet) it wasn't quite as bad as I was led to believe it would be from some of the reviews I read here. I would definitely say for the price of the rooms there will be a slight disappointment, which is why I rated it a 3. My room (3309) was clean and was like any other Marriott I have stayed in, with two double beds, a table, entertainment center and a fairly spacious bathroom. Internet is not free at this particular hotel unless you are an "Elite" Marriott Rewards Member. Let's just say there is no view for this room...basically a tree, two walls and if you look real hard a tiny glimpse of the pond and outdoor dining deck of (the conveniently located) Landry's Seafood.
We were there for a conference and because of our schedule we used room service for our breakfast on 2 mornings and one dinner. On our last morning we dined in the Station Grille, and that was because our room steward didn't leave a new room service tag for us to complete and hang on the door the night before. The food was great from both room service and the Grille...no complaints at all! We used the room service tag nightly, which had to be hung on the door by midnight each night. Both mornings they were prompt in their delivery (and I mean prompt! - we chose 8:00 - 8:15 and both mornings there were there at 8:00 on the dot). Room service will cost you around 15 - 20 per person, but you get plenty of food. The night we ordered dinner, it was late (around 10:30pm) and again, they were prompt with the delivery time we were given. The food was excellent, as was the presentation. We ordered shrimp cocktails, tomato basil soup (soup of the day), and a crab and corn chowder soup. The Grille is buffet style for the breakfast serving, was 14.95 (including your drink), again, great food!
Now one thing that REALLY made me want to give the hotel a higher rating was the employees. Seriously, they were all so friendly and helpful, always! Everyone in our group commented on this. From the doorman to the room service staff, the Grille staff, front desk, you name it they were great. I never saw our room steward, but my only complaint about our stay would have to be that they neglected to leave new washcloths once and didn't vacuum up a small (accidental) mess I made on the floor one day (dropped a cracker and stepped on it before I could stop myself). I got up what I could, but there was no attempt by the cleaning staff otherwise. Basically the beds were made and new towels were dropped off each day.
There were a lot of comments about the mall and how sparse the stores are now. They are right, there is one whole side of the mall that seems to be closed, but one side seemed to be doing ok now. Definitely stop at the Fudgery; great fudge!! The majority of upstairs seemed to be food, with a couple of shops, while the downstairs was opposite, with more shops than food.
The Metrolink is very convenient to the hotel. A daily ticket was $7.50; one way trip was $2.25; it took you most anywhere you wanted to go. It was a clean and fast mode of transportation. Also convenient (walking distance) to the hotel was the Hard Rock Cafe and Landry's Seafood.
This hotel is a neat hotel with a lot to offer. It is definitely a place everyone should stay once, just for its uniqueness.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The legendary Union Station Hotel in St. Louis, MO, is in the center of St. Louis and within walking distance to Scottrade Center, Peabody Opera House, MetroLink and within minutes from Busch Stadium, Gateway Arch, Edward Jones Dome, America's Convention Center, and City Museum. The hotel is only 20 minutes from Lambert International Airport and has direct MetroLink access to the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Louis Union Station Marriott Hotel Saint Louis
- Marriott Saint Louis
- Marriott Hotel Saint Louis
- Hyatt Saint Louis
- Saint Louis Hyatt