“Beautiful hotel and great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #22 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Vernon Hills, Illinois
“Beautiful hotel and great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on the night of my High School Reunion. The location was perfect as it was walking distance from the Schlafly Tap Room where my reunion was at. It is also walking distance from the downtown/Washington Ave. night clubs, the Scottrade Center, and numerous other downtown attractions. This is definitely a plus if you are planning to drink and want to avoid having to drive or take a cab.

Being in Union Station is also a great convenience. It features unique shops and numerous restaurants, both of the sit down/table service variety and of the food court/quick service variety.

Most important, however, was the quality of the hotel itself. The majority of the main building that is historic Union Station is the hotel itself. The beautiful architecture, numerous huge lobbies, and beautiful restaurants are all part of this hotel. These beautiful historic buildings are hard to find today, and a hotel that features these elements is even more rare. Simply look at the beautiful pictures that are posted on Trip Advisor or on the hotel's website and just imagine what it is like to see these in person, and to know that this is the hotel that you are staying at! These types of hotels also usually cost way more than what customers have to pay at the St. Louis Union Station Marriott.

The baggage service was friendly, effective, and immediately available when we checked in.

The rooms themselves were also fantastic. They were very large. It was very updated including the furniture, carpet, and decor. The bed was new, large, and very comfortable. The bathroom was also very large, updated, and had a separate alcove for the toilet, so that you aren't in the way when the other is using the shower and sink area.

This is more than just a four star hotel in a great location at an affordable price. It is a historic gem that will be one of the most beautiful hotels that you have ever stayed at! I definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Basehor, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

I'll start with the positives. The hotel room was spacious. The bed was comfortable. We asked for a view, and they did give us the best view the hotel has to offer, which was overlooking the fish pond. The buffet breakfast was good, large variety! Nice lobby. Parking wasn't to bad compared to neighboring hotels, $14 per day. Now, for the negatives. The bathroom shower needed to be re grouted, grout covered with mold! It looked like they replaced the bathroom counters with new granite, but the shower was gross! Main reason why I didn't think it was a 4 star hotel. We had our six year old daughter with us and asked for a roll away bed three different times, and it was never brought to our room. She ended up sleeping on the lounge chair, which luckily fit her perfectly, but when we pulled out the extra cover from the closet, it was old and torn and frayed at the ends. Wasn't sure if it was even clean, so didn't use it. Don't stay at union station for the shopping, because it was like a ghost mall. I'm sure at one time it was very cool, but now, not many shops to pick from and seemed run down. We ended up driving to a mall in Belleville to shop. The other downfall was that it was not convenient to get to and from the hotel rooms from the lobby or parking area, quite a walk to the back of the hotel. Also, not right next to the arch, I would say about a two mile walk and I don't know if I would feel safe at night. Last tip, take valuables out of car when parking for the evening. We were in St Louis for a basketball tournament and a family we were with got their car broke into, window smashed out.

2 Thank stephvaca
Caracas, Venezuela
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

We agree with other reviews in that you can just go to see the station but not to stay. Our first contact was with a nonexistent valet when we arrived tired from a lost plane connection at 12:30am. There was a valet there but he just watched us struggle with the luggage and did not even assist us even after we requested it. We had to carry luggages up the long stairs into the lobby and then to our room. Once in the room we discovered there was no hot water in our shower, but at that hour we decided to stay in the same room and take a cold water shower. The room looked and smelled old with worn out furniture and drapes. The service was nothing special.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
colorado springs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Although the Union Station is not what it used to be (when I lived here in early 90s ALL the store fronts in the Station were filled), my 4 kids still loved this hotel....since it is in an old railroad station. That is the beauty of it....the hotel itself is fine, but don't go if you just need a place to stay. Go if you want to be in the heart of the city, and love to experience a little of the history of the Midwest. As there are (limited) stores, restaurants in the Union Station, it makes it extra fun to stay here. The rooms are fine, but again, the setting is GREAT!

Room Tip: Bid on line! I got a super de duper deal!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Friendly staff. Hotel allowed early check in. Nice, clean, comfy room with great bed. The is a beautiful hotel. Great price and service with a smile. Pics to come.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

First of all, I like to stay with Marriott. I knew that the lobby of this hotel was magnificent from a previous visit at Union Station when this hotel was under another name. So we booked this hotel in preparation to attending Fair St. Louis on July 4 at the Arch. Union Station has a metro link, so from here you can get to the Arch or to Forest Park or the Airport without using your car. The hotel needs better signage both outside and inside to find the registration desk because Union Station is large and has several entrances. It's not clear where to go, and we were pushing a wheelchair and had to find ramps and elevators. Our room was quite far from the lobby, through locking security gates. The hotel has to have good security because of its location, and coming back at night on July 4 I thought that it was ominously empty to walk through the echoing part of the station to our room. I think a more visible security presence is advisable, although nothing happened. Finding one's way was our major hurdle. That said, we used room service, and it was prompt, professional and very good food. The rooms are standard Marriott rooms but are older than I've seen at other big city Marriotts. The fee for parking and internet that others mentioned is standard in all large city full service Marriotts, so I expected that. I would say that if you have an event downtown this is convenient, but the hotel alone has nothing out of the ordinary that would bring us to it otherwise.

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk farther than usual
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I am going to start off by saying if I had to pay FULL price for this place, I would be highly dissatisfied, especially for being a Marriott. First off...free wifi?! Non existent! It is a $13.00 fee if you would like to use their internet. Really?! I mean, that is crazy! Also, free parking? Hmm no, they'll charge you for that too cuz they can. If you park at an unsecured uncovered lot a block away, that will be $14.00. The only other option is valet, which is $24.00. This is crazy!!! I mean, I would rather be in San Fran! I will be complaining about these issues.
One thing positive I will say is Union Station is fabulous. Even if you don't stay here, it is beautiful to tour.

• Stayed June 2011