“DON'T”

Days Inn Downtown St. Louis
Ranked #99 of 124 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed November 10, 2011

If i could give it 0 stars i would. I would actually take stars away from other reviewers if i could. Just run away now.

A friend and I were traveling as students to a professional conference in St.Louis September 2011 and needed a room for an extra night that wasn't being covered by the conference, so we booked a room here for the first night. When we got there we were a little off-put by the surrounding abandoned buildings but decided we would be safe enough. When we went in we should have known, the front desk had bullet-proof glass. We got a room on the third floor because we felt that would be safest. It wasn't a really nice room, but we figured we could deal with it. We looked out our window and saw chain-link fencing and sheds that looked as though it were used to house fighting dogs (i'm 95% sure there were fighting dogs out there, not joking in the slightest). Still, we felt if we just kept the door locked and left early in the morning to go to the other hotel we would be OK. The whole room felt kinda gross, and we were contemplating on sleeping in the chairs. The final straw was when i pulled off the top comforter and saw the giant urine stain on it. It had obviously not been even cleaned or anything and was huge. We immediatly left and when we told the man at the front desk that we were leaving he asked if we would like a different room. No thank you! When we told him we had no desire to do that because we didn't want to stay in any rooms that weren't being properly cleaned, he replied "well, that's your choice". exact quote. never ever ever go here. We went to the millenium hotel that night and got a room cheaper than this dump and each had our own bed with fresh, clean linens, and were right across from the Arch in a much nicer area of St.Louis.

Oh, and when we were leaving there was a box of condoms sitting on the check in counter displayed behind the glass. Obiously this hotel isn't meant for all-night stays anyways. Even if that is what you are looking for, just park your car down some dark alley and you will be better off, because i think you should be tested for diseases after just walking in the door. I bagged and boiled my clothes after this encounter.

Room Tip: just don't get a room here. Go to any other hotel in down-town st.louis
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were in a pinch to find rooms for game 6 and 7 of the World Series since the game got rained out Wednesday. The Days Inn was the first place I could find with rooms available. I must say the staff was very friendly but the rooms carpets, furniture and bedding looked very dirty. I guess I shouldn't complain since the rooms were only $139 per night. It's not the best neighborhood either. A cab driver advised some of our group NOT to be out after dark. The place is in an industrial area with a lot of run down buildings. And it is called Days Inn "Downtown" but is actually about 3 miles from the downtown area. Overall I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2011

My adult son and I stayed here recently and the hotel was fine - room was clean and comfortable, the breakfast was sufficient & staff courteous. But the area the hotel is in made me uncomfortable to be outside and especially to drive to/from if we weren't coming right off the highway. In front of the hotel is a metal recycling center so we saw people pushing trash cans and carts down the street to cash in, there was a truck center and railline behind the building although it was across the street, and the streets leading to the hotel were in less than desirable neighborhoods. I had a non-refundable rate (through hotels.com) so we stayed the 3 nights we booked, otherwise I would have looked for a hotel closer to the hospital and in a better area. We had no trouble but I just felt uncomfortable going to/from the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynn66524
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel recently and found it very pleasant. The hotel was clean and had a mini fridge and microwave in the rooms. All the employees we met were vey friendly and the continental breakfast the next morning was refreshing. While it's not necessarily downtown, it's within two miles of downtown. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shanewinter
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I've got to say that the hotel itself was great. Really have nothing bad to say. The rooms were large and spacious. The beds were comfortable. Even the free breakfast in the morning wasn't bad (DIY waffles, biscuits with gravy, etc). The only problem was that it's located in a pretty sketch area. The parking lot is gated and monitored by security. We were driving across country to move me to Arizona, so my life was in my car and I was somewhat concerned about it. The guy at the front desk assured me that they never had an incidents reported and that the area was in more of a urban renewal phase. We didn't have any issues, and all my stuff stayed safe. If you have a car — it's really not far from downtown. Just down the street, but if you don't have a car I wouldn't recommend the hotel as it's not walkable to any of the major sightseeing areas.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank wendalyng
Reviewed June 2, 2011

The name of the hotel is a blatant lie!!! It is nowhere near downtown and the taxidriver warned me repeatedly not to venture outside the hotel as it is located in a "terrible neighborhood". Need I say more?

On the plus side: Large, clean room, above average for the price.

But given the location, it's a 'NO GO'!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I spent 5 weeks travelling around the USA from Australia, and this was my best accommodation experience of the entire 5 weeks. The room was great - flatscreen TV, both wireless & wired internet, really comfortable bed, etc. Excellent value for money - quality hotel experience at a motel price. Most of all, the staff were excellent - the friendliest I came across out of anywhere I stayed and the front desk guy & his family treated me really well. The location is only a couple of minutes drive from downtown and the hotel is totally safe & secure - don't let other people who apply blanket stereotypes to an entire side of a city deter you from staying, because you won't find better accommodation in St Louis for the price!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo