“Treasure on Cherokee Street”
Review of La Vallesana

La Vallesana
Ranked #1,669 of 2,992 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a nice change of pace from TexMex! If you like your Mexican food smothered in cheese and festooned with pickled jalapeño peppers, this is probably not the place for you. I had a wonderful combination torta, with carnitas and cachete de res (cow cheek). The meat was incredibly tender and flavorful (due, no doubt, to the high fat content of the cachet), and it was served on a prefect bolillo with lettuce, cilantro, pico de gallo, mayonnaise, and sliced avocado. The flavors were well balanced, and the mouth feel was satisfying. It reminded me of the tortas one finds in Mexico. My companions were similarly enthusiastic about the chicken fajitas, carnitas and shrimp burrito. The tortilla chips came with three flavorful sauces (smoked pepper, creamy salsa verde, and queso) and an excellent guacamole. Because it was a cold, cloudy day, we decided to pass on the paletas; however they look to be delicious. The restaurant is not very big, but has a covered patio. The interior was clean and simple; no sombreros, blankets, or the lurid paint schemes often found in TexMex establishments. The service was a bit slow; it seemed that they were a bit understaffed for the lunch crowd. (They do not have a liquor license, so you can keep your tab under $10/person.) All in all, we had an excellent experience, and will give this place a spot in our regular rotation. I understand that some suburbanites might be put off by the neighborhood, as it is down at the heels and has a number of vacant storefronts. (I live nearby, and find the street life to be fine.) Perhaps this is a blessing, as it will keep La Vallesana a neighborhood place rather than have it become a "destination" for adventure seekers from the 'burbs.

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

We love this place. If you want the Tex-Mex experience go elsewhere. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL. Beef Tongue and Cheek tacos are excellent. Shrimp or chicken burrito is always good. Pineapple-Chili ice cream is something I thought I'd hate but you've got to try it! It's a no-frills place with nice people and great food.

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly, affordable, clean place to eat great food. We have nothing bad to say at all. Clean restrooms, authentic Mexican food. However they don't serve beer, but it was well worth it!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

i have yet to eat a meal there but I've been back three times for ice cream--they make it there. The chocolate almond is like none other I have had--not richer or sweeter or any definable thing--just better and delicious. My husband had dried fruit ice cream and there is a freezer case full of frozen fruit bars including rice milk flavor--like rumchata. The dinners we saw being served were quite generous and friends who were eating there said they come often, enjoying sitting outside watching the street life in this lively Mexican-American and arts community. Vital city living and ice cream too! DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH ANOTHER ICE CREAM STORE ON THE SAME STREET--this isn't vegan ice cream and servings here are generous and affordable.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

A friend of mine eats here for lunch often. I was invited to join her today and I'm glad I did. The young man serving use was very friendly and attentive. The meal was excellent, portions were large enough without being overly so. I had the quesadilla al pastor. It has just a smattering of cheese, fresh chopped romaine, delicious pork and pineapple in a flour tortilla. That with some chips and sauces and a glass of tea was more than enough for lunch. And with tax and tip was under $8.50! I will go back!