“Canned Vegetables/Salty Food”

Ranked #393 of 2,992 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Benton Park
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Visited for the Sunday Chicken Dinner and it was NOT the least bit good. The service was pretentious and neglectful. There were three children at the table, one a vegetarian, and were charged full price! The table was filled with dishes, but the contents of those dishes was very disappointing. The chicken was over-cooked and cold. The gravy would have been tasty if it was NOT so salty ... as was the chicken, ham and CANNED vegetables. There are many choices with EXCELLENT fried chicken, even KFC is an option. Save your $$$. Have a fine meal ... ELSEWHERE!

Reviewed October 8, 2011

I have read all these reviews on here, and I know not everyone will always have the best experiance that we had, were from idaho, flew to missouri for a family reunion, this was also our 6th anniversary and my husbands 43 birthday weekend, I made reservation I believe with the owner over the phone, we wanted to stay sunday and monday night, was at that point told they were closed on mondays, but instead of us having to find another hotel for one night she allowed us to stay on our own, had the whole place to ourselves, very nice of her, unfortanatly we also reserved a evening dinner paddle boad cruise for our anniversary on sunday, cause we tried the friend chicken as a snack and it was really tasty, wish we would of just had the whole dinner there, but when we got back to the hotel after our boat dinner cruise the staff was relaxing and having a beer after closing, and invited up to have a beer too, made you feel right at home, we sat in the lounge with the co-owner had a beer ...a hemp beer also very good, and listen to all the information he knew about the place, very nice guy, as for if we would eat or stay there again.... you bet ya, every chance we get, its a beautiful hotel, chicken was great, staff were friendly and down to earth, very clean place all around, I couldnt give this place enough cudos, and im sorry to hear that other people had bad experiances, just remember these people that own it are live HUMANS........not ghost lol, they have bad days too.....give them a chance....jim and dawn (ali) gallagher

1  Thank ali g
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We went here on a trip from Memphis to St. Louis with some extended family for the Sunday dinner, which is a price fixe dinner. The food was okay, but nothing to get excited about. It is all you care to eat and a decent variety of choices. The service was fine.

We really went because of the family's history and paranormal stories about the building and the Lemp family. My adult son, who is particularly interest in such things, was most interested in going. We'd like to return sometime closer to Halloween and enjoy one of their ghost tours.

Reviewed October 20, 2010

This was our first time at the Lemp Mansion. I would highly recommend it if you haven't been. It was a bit pricey, about $50 for the dinner/show. The entertainment was good, the hosts/actors are funny and keep the audience involved. The food was pretty good. The menu that night was soup and salad which were both very good and a beef spedini and chicken combo that was just ok. Cheesecake for dessert which was also good. You also got a glass of wine and soft drinks included and a cash bar was also available. Make sure you realize that the tip and tax is included in the price...They dont go out of their way to tell you that. I think it was worth the money, especially since it's not something you are going to do all the time.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

This review is specifically for the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre hosted every Friday and Saturday night at the Lemp Mansion. There is a seperate entrance for the dinner theatre. If you are facing the front of the mansion, go around to the right towards the gazebo and patio area, but before you reach the patio, you will see a small staircase to your left that leads down to the basement of the mansion; this is where the dinner theatre is held.

When you arrive, you will be given a name tag and on the back of that nametag is your character's information and secrets. Only about six of the attendees will have major parts in the theatre. From arrival to departure, plan on spending about three and a half to four hours at the mansion. They serve soup and beverages (soda, coffee, tea, water) to everyone just as you arrive. The theatre begins, and after about 20 mins, everyone gets another break to mingle and they serve salad. There is a cash bar available (it is a cool little bar tucked into one of the original old tunnels in the mansion that leads to the brewery).

The play starts up again and after about another 20 or 30 minutes, you get another break to mingle and then they serve the combination entree which is a LOT of food and everyone gets a glass of wine with their meal. Once everyone is done eating, they start the play back up again and by this point it is getting really fun and interesting. They serve desert after all clues are presented and everyone has to right down who they thought commited the crime. After desert, a "Dicky" award is presented to whoever guesses correctly and whichever guests allowed the actors to use and abuse them the most.

Me and the three people who came with me all had a great time and everyone else there seemed to be having a great time as well. I would definitely go again and my husband and I are already planning another visit with friends sometime in the spring. I probably wouldn't make the trip to the city just for dinner at the Lemp, as the food wasn't THAT good, but the overall experience of the dinner theatre was great and I thought it was a good value for the money. There were people of all ages and backgrounds there and I think this is the type of event just about anyone could have fun at.

The female and male actor running the show were both great and not annoying and too over the top like a previous dinner theatre experience I've had. I highly recommend this; plus, the Lemp mansion is just a really cool environment for a murder mystery...especially in October :-)

The cost ($49) included gratuity, taxes, admission, food & beverages.

6  Thank lotekgirl