“It was okay”

Ranked #368 of 2,940 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Benton Park
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We went here on a trip from Memphis to St. Louis with some extended family for the Sunday dinner, which is a price fixe dinner. The food was okay, but nothing to get excited about. It is all you care to eat and a decent variety of choices. The service was fine.

We really went because of the family's history and paranormal stories about the building and the Lemp family. My adult son, who is particularly interest in such things, was most interested in going. We'd like to return sometime closer to Halloween and enjoy one of their ghost tours.

There are newer reviews for The Lemp Mansion Restaurant

Reviewed October 20, 2010

This was our first time at the Lemp Mansion. I would highly recommend it if you haven't been. It was a bit pricey, about $50 for the dinner/show. The entertainment was good, the hosts/actors are funny and keep the audience involved. The food was pretty good. The menu that night was soup and salad which were both very good and a beef spedini and chicken combo that was just ok. Cheesecake for dessert which was also good. You also got a glass of wine and soft drinks included and a cash bar was also available. Make sure you realize that the tip and tax is included in the price...They dont go out of their way to tell you that. I think it was worth the money, especially since it's not something you are going to do all the time.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

This review is specifically for the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre hosted every Friday and Saturday night at the Lemp Mansion. There is a seperate entrance for the dinner theatre. If you are facing the front of the mansion, go around to the right towards the gazebo and patio area, but before you reach the patio, you will see a small staircase to your left that leads down to the basement of the mansion; this is where the dinner theatre is held.

When you arrive, you will be given a name tag and on the back of that nametag is your character's information and secrets. Only about six of the attendees will have major parts in the theatre. From arrival to departure, plan on spending about three and a half to four hours at the mansion. They serve soup and beverages (soda, coffee, tea, water) to everyone just as you arrive. The theatre begins, and after about 20 mins, everyone gets another break to mingle and they serve salad. There is a cash bar available (it is a cool little bar tucked into one of the original old tunnels in the mansion that leads to the brewery).

The play starts up again and after about another 20 or 30 minutes, you get another break to mingle and then they serve the combination entree which is a LOT of food and everyone gets a glass of wine with their meal. Once everyone is done eating, they start the play back up again and by this point it is getting really fun and interesting. They serve desert after all clues are presented and everyone has to right down who they thought commited the crime. After desert, a "Dicky" award is presented to whoever guesses correctly and whichever guests allowed the actors to use and abuse them the most.

Me and the three people who came with me all had a great time and everyone else there seemed to be having a great time as well. I would definitely go again and my husband and I are already planning another visit with friends sometime in the spring. I probably wouldn't make the trip to the city just for dinner at the Lemp, as the food wasn't THAT good, but the overall experience of the dinner theatre was great and I thought it was a good value for the money. There were people of all ages and backgrounds there and I think this is the type of event just about anyone could have fun at.

The female and male actor running the show were both great and not annoying and too over the top like a previous dinner theatre experience I've had. I highly recommend this; plus, the Lemp mansion is just a really cool environment for a murder mystery...especially in October :-)

The cost ($49) included gratuity, taxes, admission, food & beverages.

6  Thank lotekgirl
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Don't stay here, don't eat here! We live in the area and went back for a visit after several years. Despite so many bad reviews, we unfortunately went back anyway. The food was mediocre, salad was ok, & our waiter was ok & punctual. Although we heard our waiter ask 2 other tables if they had discounts to use and we thought they'd know what to charge when we used our "MemberCard", our bill was a complete "mistake"??! Not a mistake but much much more serious!!! For just 2 of us they added an 18% gratuity not mentioned in the menu or card rules! Owner claimed it was a "mistake"!(add stronger language at your own discretion) However they'd also added this tip to the subtotal and charged us tax on it! Then, they took off $10 vs the coupon's $15 off! The owner/wtr seemed to "mess up" every chance they could, then they adamantly supported the tax rate not knowing we were locals w/a local receipt showing the accurate tax rate. When I showed my receipt verifying the tax rate, plus the coupon & rules he got very defensive, scared, grabbed the bill and ordered us to leave refusing payment. Think about it. No other customers were in the room, & if he wasn't a "blank" why'd he order us to leave without paying for what we owed? Make sure you check that it's still open before going. If you do go, check your bill very closely. If you've gone already, check your bill again! This place is a "blank" to my neighborhood and city. Perhaps the evil spirits and tragic suicides the place is famous for have infected the owners? Either way, don't spend your $ there. Walk thru it for free at the absolute most while it's still open. My language would be a lot stronger but I'm following the rules for this site. Thank you and spend your $ elsewhere.

1  Thank 1ftNfront
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We had an ok meal. The food was alright for the most part. The service ok but not great. The ambiance was "eh." The prices were high for the quality of the meal. BUT we feel they hoped we would not pay close attention to our bill! Like another reviewer, they added an 18% gratuity for our party of only two! Then sales tax of almost 11 percent, which is higher than the sales tax for this city, was added to the bill on top of the gratuity! You should really think twice about trying this place, but if you do, look over your bill very, very carefully!

2  Thank DreamingOfFrance