“Great surroundings, wonderful wine, food only ok”
Review of Salt - CLOSED

Salt
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central West End
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Salt is situated in a former funeral home, a historic building in a great part of downtown St Louis. The atmosphere, setting, and service are great. We had an exceptional Zinfandel, but the food was nothing special. Dessert in particular was pretty bad. Could be a great space - more attention to food is needed.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

To begin, our server Geoff was awesome! I love it when I go to a restaurant and get a pro server. He took his time, explained everything on the menu, and provided great service.

The food was delicious. I personally went for the duck fat fried chicken (how can you go wrong with fried food) and it was even better than I expected. Loved that it was boneless.
Others in our party had the small plates instead of an entree and everyone enjoyed their dishes.

While this is a nicer restaurant with excellent service, the prices were reasonable. I imagine our bill would have been similar had we ordered that many dishes and drinks at a chain-type restaurant.

1  Thank Loves2travel0304
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We had an amazing Father's Day dinner at Salt. Not the kind of place I would normally bring a two-year-old, but we tried our luck with an early reservation. The staff turned out to be very friendly and accommodating of us and our little guy. We even got a tour of the upper and lower levels after dinner. The decor itself makes it worth a visit - awesome local artwork on display, themed private party rooms, and a women's bathroom I could hang out in all day - plush magenta couch beneath a beaded chandelier...very posh. I haven't even gotten to the best part - the food. Duck-fat french fries, sorghum lacquered duck, RASPBERRY GOAT CHEESE CREME BRULEE WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE. Words fail me, it was so delicious.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I went to Salt with high expectations for her birthday. There were about 10 of us total that went out. I understand that service isn't always the best when you have a large group of people but I was incredibly disappointed in the whole dinning experience. Our server brought food out randomly, ignored half the table and basically didn't write down at all what people ordered or got. We had separate checks and they had to be corrected 3 times. The meal took 3 hours to complete which was way too long. We had plans after dinner and half the party didn't want to go out afterwards. I was a little angry because nothing was also done for my wife's birthday.
That being said, I don't want to give them a complete negative review because of a bad server. The food was quite good. The frites were delicious. The garlic mayo was the best mayonnaise that I've ever had. The pork belly wasn't melt in your mouth as described in other reviews but was delicious all the same. I didn't eat the ham and cheese biscuit but my friends raved about it. My sister who doesn't like ham liked the biscuit. The scallop was also quite delicious. It was a single scallop served in a small mason jar, so I didn't think it was quite worth the $9 though.
The beer selection was excellent and the cocktails were great. They only use fresh juices so they tasted very good.
The bad
The mussels which also were reviewed favorably by others were very gritty. The flavor was good but they were not properly cleaned. 3 of them didn't even open. It was pretty off-putting.
I know they are still a new restaurant but they need to get their act together.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Our dinner was probably the best culinary extravaganza I've had in St. Louis. We started first with the Seared Scallop in a mustard sauce with scallions, it is presented in a little mason jar (sealed like jam) locked that effervesces with cedar smoke upon opening. Possibly the most flavorful and perfectly cooked scallop we've ever had. We next had the ricotta gnocchi in a meyer lemon sauce with asparagus, shaved marcoot and basil. The gnocchi had a different texture from any other gnocchi I've ever had, a softer and more tender take. Alas, the sauce was bit too lemony and sour for our liking. We also had the Pork and Fennel Meatball in a blackberry jam sauce. It was absiolutely delicious pig that holds its own in a city famous for divine BBQ! The broiled mussels with chorizo had a nice smokey taste to it, the sauce was delicious, my only gripe was there was insufficient bread to mop up the sauce!

We also had Duck Fat Frites, which was a good side that we just kept picking at over the course of our dinner.

Upon our server's recommendation we had the Bodega de Bardos Ars Romantica spanish red wine, which was a perfect complement for our tapas style dinner mixing seafood, pork and pasta.

Lastly, we had the raspberry chocolate goat cheese creme brulee that's served with
toast and a tiny flask of heavenly chocolate syrup. The goat cheese gives a very light and refreshing twist on a traditionally heavy creme brulee and yet the chocolate syrup brings it all together. The toast offers a unique take on creme brulee allowing up to "mop" up the light creme.

Very importantly, the small plates and the entrees are not overtly pricey! Definitely a must try in Saint Louis!

2  Thank Seaf00dGuy