“Better the second time around”

Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #97 of 2,978 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
Reviewed March 4, 2014

So the first time we went to this restaurant we did not have a good food experience. Because of all the positive reviews, after two years we decided to give it another try. The second time around it was much, much better. We will make this a more regular destination. Service was a little slow, but it was a Friday night, and if you know a little about the area, it's always packed and parking is a nightmare. If you want to give it a try, I would recommend going at an off time.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Let's face it - American food can be very bland. Why not try something from a totally different culture for a change. We recently visited Meskerem and was pleasantly surprised. We ordered the meat platter for 2, the vegetarian platter for 2 and I ordered the lamb. The vegetarian platter is a great choice for vegetarians!! We (5 of us) all shared the platters and ate more than our share and some more. The lamb was very tasty but a little spicy so if you like spicy, you'll love it. The meat platter was excellent!! I love the fact that you don't use silverware....you each get soft bread dough and use this to scoop your food up. Definitely will go back!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My daughter went here for dinner. Food was great as was the service. Very authentic. Don't ask for silverware. Use your fingers.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I decided to try Meskerem a few years ago and fell in love with it. It would be safe to say we crave it every now and then. We take our children there often as well as all of our out-of-town guests. The kids love the novelty of eating with their hands. The food is amazing! We were fortunate to be able to travel to Ethiopia twice last year and were pleasantly surprised at how comparable the food in-country was to that at Meskerem. It is just like you would be served in Ethiopia (except the meats are better quality here). The atmosphere is a fun change and even feels a little bit like Ethiopia.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Been a while since I had Ethiopian -- like 20 years, back in DC -- and I was reminded of why I like it so much. We went to Meskerem on a Monday, and caught the lunch special -- for $5.95 to about $8.95 you get meat, potatoes, veggies, all simmered to spicy-but-not-too-spicy perfection and served with that spongy, slightly sour pancake-like Ethiopian bread. No cutlery. You use the bread, pancake, whatever, to scoop. My friend had the chicken, which he deemed superb (he didn't let me try any), I had beef in collard greens with a sep veg and potatoes. We left stuffed. I will return.

1  Thank neal f