“Great coffee!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night
Miami, Florida
“Great coffee!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Great selection of coffee and other snacks, good place to study and people watch if you are new to the area. Staff is helpful but not too chatty.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Samantha V

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Study place”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great food and pretty good coffee. It's also a good, quite place to study at with a free wifi access. During the summer its good to set outside. The only bad thing about it is it's not that clean.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Shayma O
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great food; mediocre atmosphere”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

It's probably my age, but I still believe customers should be greeted, or at least glanced at, when they approach a counter looking for direction. Since this was my first visit, I truly needed to know simple things, like where to go to order! The counter top is shoulder level for me (admittedly a short person) and runs the full length of the food prep area, except for the 3' section where the money is exchanged. We happened to come in on the ice cream side. Someone was working behind that section, but did not look up, so I wandered down a bit further to the place where someone else was working (I'm calling it the hearty section, since there seemed to be more of the wrap prep going on there). Still receiving no acknowledgement, I studied the chalkboard-style menu for a few moments, then stood at the 3' section I mentioned previously. After a few moments, someone I hadn't seen came from the coffee section and asked (smileless, but at least attentive) if she could help. She's probably just not the jolly type, which I can understand, as the place seemed fairly busy. She quickly readied our drinks and said she would "yell out" our order when it was ready. We found a table in a darkish room where folks with laptops and cell phones hung out. Oh, one man was reading a paper. So this is the type of place you can go to be less interactive, I suppose, as in studying (although, the phone conversations can become rather loud) or working on your computer. The acoustics are bad in that back room, as I noticed that we could hear every word of a couple talking about 20 feet away. About 15 minutes went by after we seated ourselves; I hadn't noticed any "yelling out," so went to the shoulder-high counter to ask if she had "yelled" and I hadn't heard. The gal said she hadn't, so I went back and enjoyed a conversation with my family. When the food order was "yelled out" we ran over and retrieved it. The food was amazing!!! We enjoyed the chipotle chicken avocado wrap and a quesadilla of some sort. The coffee was, in my opinion, only mediocre. I think I would have enjoyed the outdoor tables, which are plenteous, but the weather (remnants of hurricane Isaac) had rendered the tables and chairs rain-soaked. This is a quaint place and may be typical of coffee shops, which I don't frequent very much. Starbucks has more class and better coffee, but the Coffee Cartel is probably more favored by the younger set. Great food and not too pricey.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank franski8
st. louis, mo
“Good place for coffee, dessert and conversation”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Local cafe is a good place to hang out. We were there on a Tuesday evening, after dinner, meeting up with some out of town friends. It was quiet enough to be able to enjoy conversation and the variety of drinks we all enjoyed was great. They had a really nice selection of desserts, so a good place to grab a coffee and piece of cake.

They had a good variety of lunch type eats on the menu as well. Big enough, yet also had some smaller, quiet spaces.

Another plus -- it's open 24 hours!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Justmycupoftea
Chicago, Illinois
“Old Favorite -- Still Good”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I've got a lot of history with Coffee Cartel -- it was a favorite place of mine to study during my college years in STL. During a recent visit, I went back, and I was pleased to discover that Coffee Cartel has retained its great neighborhood character. The staff is very nice, although service can be a bit slow if the line is busy. My beverages tasted great -- particularly an iced mocha on a 100-degree day. I went back late-night and enjoyed some ice cream -- yum. Great character, lots of outdoor seating in a fun area, and an establishment that really cares about the community, as evidenced by all of the letters in the barista area that show the many donations the business has made to local schools, charities, churches, etc. It's definitely a place where all are welcome, too. Highly recommended during your visit to STL!

• Visited June 2012