“Delicious dinner and very nice service”
Review of Franco - CLOSED

Franco
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Soulard
Cross street: Carroll Street
Transit: Metrolink at Busch Stadium is only a 10 min walk north from us. This makes us an ideal place to eat real food before or after the game.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Delicious dinner and very nice service”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had dinner for the second time at Franco's and of course had to have the foie gras (wait staff in a French restaurant should know how to pronounce the food). This preparation did not disappoint. It was followed up with the trout, whose flavours were excellent. I was not sure that the relatively heavy flavour of chorizo would go well with trout but it works. The gnocchi were a little too dense for my taste. And of course I always have dessert, which in this case was the flourless chocolate cake! The portion size was too large as is common in American restaurants for all courses, but made for a nice snack the next day. It was dense, not too sweet and the heavenly richness of chocolate melted on the tongue.

I often eat out alone and a lot can be told about service when you do, since you have a chance to watch the service around you. Often service for a single person is not as attentive or is rushed in an apparent attempt to have you vacate the table. Here one's particular waiter/ress is augmented by management and bar staff and is very good and not overbearing.

I can definitely recommend Franco's for a lovely dinner.

• Visited November 2013

Greenville, South Carolina
“Butter, Freshness and Wine”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Just across the street from the Soulard Farmer's Market in St. Louis is the French restaurant Franco. It sits in the corner first floor of what looks like an old warehouse and has now been renovated into loft apartments. The building has lots of character and it doesn't stop when you enter the front door of Franco.

This was our second visit to Franco, the first being two years ago. At that time, we had dinner at 5pm on a Saturday and were the only people in the restaurant. This time at 5pm the crowd was larger, but there was still room to seat us.

On this visit, I had an escargot appetizer which was drenched in a buttery wine and garlic sauce. Delicious enough to dip your bread in once the snails were gone. And I did. There was a special soup of the day on the menu along with the standard French onion. On the last visit, I had the French onion which was good but really did not distinguish itself from any other. On this trip, the soup du jour was a corn and bacon chowder which was a 10! Hell it has bacon!

So, anyway the entrée was lamb chops on the past visit was tender and cooked perfectly to order. This time I had the Basque Seafood Stew. (photo of menu attached) If I had been anywhere but a French restaurant, I am betting they would have called it ciopinno. Not sure what the difference is, but it can't be much. My wife had the special, pan seared sable, and she said it was delicious. She would not share so I believe her.

Our server was attentive, if a bit pretentious.

Overall, great place. Dinner was just under $150 for two. That was 2 entrees, 1 appetizer, 1 soup, 2 martinis, 1 glass of wine and 2 ports after dinner. Take off the alcohol, and it's really not a bad price.

• Visited October 2013
st. louis
“Great Food!!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We came here for my Bday in Aug. Don't get out much so we really expect to have a good meal when we go out. Franco was not a disappointment. We started w/the Escargot! I wasn't even sure I really liked escargot...These were amazing. The sauce was a creamy and I could taste saffron and sherry I believe. It was so good we wouldn't let them take the dish away so we could use the bread to sop up the delicious sauce! I had the ribeye with brussel sprouts and i'm not sure I've ever had a steak cooked so perfectly! And the sauce on it was equally as tasty. Desert was the beignets w/a caramel dipping sauce and we added a scoop of Salted caramel Ice cream (made by home towner, Serendipity). I highly suggest the combination. We each had a couple glasses of nice wine and left very satisfied. I hope it won't be too long before we get back!

• Visited August 2013
Creve Coeur, Missouri
“Franco in Soulard is a tip top choice!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Met with friends last night at Franco. Since they picked the restaurant (one I had never heard of), I was not sure what to expect. This French restaurant, located on South Eighth Street (across from the Soulard Market), is housed in a converted warehouse. Designers did a terrific job of keeping the decor simple and not packing the tables too closely together. The "open" layout works well and the place was busy, but did not look packed like sardines.

On to the food: We were pleasantly surprised with the variety on the menu. Franco's menu featured a nice balance of appetizers, soups, and salads for starters (I can attest to the excellent French onion soup!). Past that, the main courses - one each for chicken, pork, fish, seafood, beef, lamb, vegetarian - were interesting combinations. Our waiter was terrific at answering our many questions, and at our table nearly every entree was ordered by someone. Desserts included a number of delicious offerings as well.

There is no question we would go back to Franco and try one of the other delectable dishes!

Tip: If you have a group, I would definitely call in advance. The small separate room (where our group was located) was great because it allowed us to all participate in a conversation without bothering other diners.

• Visited September 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Unexpected and Excellent”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I met a friend at Franco for a late dinner on the last night of a business trip. Even though I'm from out-of-town, it was easy to find from the downtown area. The restaurant is in Soulard, in part of an old shoe factory, right across the street from the Soulard Farmers Market. Honestly, it doesn't look like much from outside, but inside it's stunning. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent. Very upscale, with an unusual items on the menu.

Franco is highly recommended.

• Visited September 2013