“such a fun place for dessert and nightcap!”

Bailey's Chocolate Bar
Ranked #6 of 88 Dessert in Saint Louis
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: Lafayette Square
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The desserts and drinks are very well done. If you're uncertain about which drink to order, get some assistance from your server. Not all of the martini's are chocolate and some are stronger than others. I recommend the ice cream chocolate/coconut martini!

There are newer reviews for Bailey's Chocolate Bar

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I'm sorry, I'm not part of the droves of people who obey and follow what other reviewers say in St. Louis: Bailey's chocolate bar had okay food, but not nearly as good as Rooster or Range. This past Friday, my wife and I had met up with a party of 12 others and had a good night of having fun, talking, eating and drinking at the bar. It was nice and some of the desserts looked delicious. I was hungry for real food, however, and as such I picked out the BLT with added bacon for an addition $2 making my choice about $10 or so. Was it the best BLT I had ever had? No, not really. They served it on an almost rock hard focaccia bread, so it was hard to eat as you had to crunch through and then get the soft interior. I would give the sandwich a 3 out of 5 stars. What make me really confused was the other thing on the plate. The plate was delivered to me with the sandwich on one side and a pile of greens on the other side, like spinach and mesclun. After I had eaten what I could of the sandwich, I went ahead for a bite of what looked to be a salad and found myself not taking another bite. On the sandwich, you had some local bacon with some mayo and tomato and it was a tasty mix and then the other side had a dry, warm mix of leaves. There was no dressing and not even a dash of seasoning. It was just plain leaves and while I see this dish as not being one particularly as a main food source, it does seem strange that I am the one occurrence in which someone came to the chocolate bar for a non-dessert item and I get a pile of green leaves and a hard as a rock sandwich.

I'm not to say that I'm not romantic, as I know that this restaurant is trying to accomplish that look and feel, but in order to be romantic, it doesn't have to be dark. I'm never really a fan of dark lit areas and even at some of my favorite restaurants, I tend to find the better lit areas to make my spot for the night. If you were having a deep and sensually romantic date, the red walls, large canvases on the walls, dim lights and candles on the table would help. But for a group of people just trying food and talking, it just didn't seem to work for us.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Dropped in for late afternoon desserts and coffee with family from out of town. Honestly don't know of a better place for either. The server was outstanding, friendly, knowledgeable, and polished. Unique, from scratch desserts. Very nice dining areas behind bar area.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I've been to BCB a few times, but it's been a couple years. I already know that I'm a huge fan of their cheese plates - so many different cheeses to choose from along with little extras like Hummus, Olive Tapenade or Muhammara. But I hadn't found the dessert that really rocked my world. The FLOURLESS MOLTEN CAKE didn't do it for me (because it wasn't dense enough for my tastes, not to mention the fact that it was so tiny!) and I can't even remember the couple others I had.

This is what I tried this visit....

BAKED BRIE - 4 - The brie itself was much smaller than I expected, maybe 3 1/2 in. around. The brie was wrapped in mixed nuts - although they didn't have much as far as seasoning goes, they did add a nice texture. However, the nuts and dried fruit were deliciously seasoned with a little kick! And the bacon (yum!) was actually mixed with greens and a vinnaigrette (a little too much vinegar for my taste, but not a bad combo). I'm glad I tried this dish, but I don't think I'll get it again because their cheese plates are just perfect for me!

BAILEYS' BANANA SPLIT - 3.5 - The whipped cream and mixed nuts were perfect! But there wasn't enough hot fudge (just barely drizzled on top) and I don't think there was any caramel at all. The caramalized banana was awesome - I've never tasted anything like it! IT had a perfect crispy layer of caramel on the outside!! I picked the strawberry, cinnamon and dark chocolate ice creams. I am very, VERY picky about my ice cream (I'm from Cincinnati, so Graeter's will always be the best), so maybe you'll take this ice cream review with a grain of salt - it wasn't as creamy as I like my ice cream to be. It was smooth, but lived more on the icy side than it did the milky. Of the three, cinnamon was my favorite - it had the best flavor. The strawberry was too similar to a sorbet for my tastes and the dark chocolate was no where near chocolately enough.

The service was alright, although we did find ourselves looking for him a couple times.

I will be going back to BCB at least for a killer cheese plate. Maybe I'll try the CHOCOLATE INEBRIATION next time. I'm hoping the stout cake is better than the flourless. And maybe the ice cream tastes better with a baked good.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The chocolate bar is what an extravagant dessert experience should be. Deep red walls that hint at the rich desserts to come in the historic Lafayette Square neighborhood. The service is very good and the desserts are excellent. Not overly big but just sized nicely for what a good scrumptious desert should be. Good quality over just size. About the same price at desserts at nearby restaurants so I would recommend if you are in the mood for just dessert. Next time I will try one of their drinks but just go for desserts and coffee.