“Is the good brat worth the service?”
Review of St Louis Gast Haus - CLOSED

St Louis Gast Haus
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Lafayette Square
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is my third visit to this restaurant. I live in the neighborhood and like to support the community restaurant but third time is a " charm" for me. First the good things: I do like the high ceiling, German mural paintings, tall mirror and side table that gives the place a European feeling. The sausages are very authentic and tasty Brat, knockwurst etc. The pricing is also good for a family.
Now the bad. We arrived on a Sunday night at 715 pm with my kids. The chef actually told us to sit wherever as there was no one in the entire place. When the waitress arrived in a huff, she said she would give us time before we sat down to look at the board of specials because she could "not possibly remember everything that was on the board". It was clear she had hope to go home early and was annoyed by our arrival 45 min prior to closing. She spoke very quickly as if her fast speech would expedite our visit and I couldn't understand half of what she said. The food came in a timely manner. The waitress decided to give us a sample of the soup in little plastic cups ( what you use for ketchup). When my husband asked for a spoon, she said " you don't need it, you just chuck it". I felt it was some scene out of Deliverance. We were very nice to the waitress and she eventually warmed up.

There are newer reviews for St Louis Gast Haus

Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Each time I have visited this restaurant it looks a little shabbier. The food was ok but nothing to write home about. The service was slow and confused with a large group and a fixed menu. Skip the dessert. Focus on the rouladen and the cabbage

Reviewed February 5, 2012

My wife and I went for a night without the kids. Atmoshpere was very laid back and quiet, a plus. We waited a short time for them to attend to us no big deal since we both needed the wind down from kid chaos. We were brought water in chilled glasses a nice touch since I don't like the ovefilled ice water glass in winter especially. The waiter seemed to be just going through the motions but was accurate and efficient. Draft beer only which I ordered the Spaten Oktoberfest--which seemed more like a lager. My wife ordered a house red. For the meal I ordered the Rouladen with two sides one of them being the creamed spinach based upon a fellow trip advisor review--the other being potato pancakes. My wife ordered the jagerschnitzel with mixed veggies and potato pancakes. Both meals were very good and served warm and promptly except my wife did not like her mixed veggies so she ate half of my creamed spinach which was very good. Overall bill $52 before tip. Amount of food was very adequate. I'd say overall good but the service was a little bit of a negative--very stoic.

1  Thank LouieD14
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Four of us (two couples) went to the Gast Haus to celebrate two birthdays (the guys). We all love German food and German beer. We had tried the so-called German restaurant in Mascoutah last year. Awful, just awful. So, we had a bit of fear trying a new place.
This restaurant is fairly small and has a old-time feel, which is perfect for our needs. The first thing the guys did was to check out which beers were on tap. Spaten Octoberfest - now we are in business. There were only two other tables of customers on a Sunday evening. (A shame)
We started with a boot of Spaten. Has to be the best deal in town 60? ounces for $16- don't quote me on that exact price- but it was about that. Three of us ordered the sampler. We were here to try as many dishes as possible. The sampler has rouladen, schnitzel, and a wurst with spaetzel. The sides we tried included potato pancakes w applesauce, red cabbage, and mixed vegetables. The two salads we tried were the beet and the cucumber. The fourth person tried a pork strips in a creamy mushroom sauce. All of us who ordered the sampler plates were very happy with our choice. The food was good. As good as mine?- maybe not. But, good nonetheless. As good as dear old mom? God, yes, she was a terrible cook. The potato pancakes were hot and crispy on the outside and soft inside - it was evident that they were made to order. The cucumber salad was good. I would have added a touch of dill but that is just me. The gal who ordered the pork strips said it was good but there was not much pork swimming in that sauce. We all ate every bite. Not a shred of red cabbage was left on any plate. It would have been nice if dinner came with a hard roll but the prices were very fair and amount of food was substantial. And, amazingly they take http://restaurant.com coupons! I almost felt guilty using it. Total bill minus the coupon + gratuity for 4 stuffed people with beer $93. I would call that a bargain. Will we go again? Definitely! The prices are fair, the food is good, and the parking lot is enormous.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I had heard of the St. Louis Gast Haus many times; but never had the opportunity to visit. Our previous German Restaurant experience was the Heritage Restaurant at Stone Hill Winery in Hermann, Mo.
I am very glad we finally made the time to visit the St. Louis Gast Haus because we found good German food much closer to home and reasonable prices. The sausages are great tasting and the sauerkraut with pork is excellent. The potato pancakes are very tasty but the German potato salad was not served as hot as I like it.
Overall, we were pleased with our experience at the St. Louis Gast Haus and will return many times in the future.
The ambiance was nice, clean and the service was good. I liked the mural in the main dining room.

1  Thank Walter W