“Good German Food-Uninspiring service”
Review of St Louis Gast Haus - CLOSED

St Louis Gast Haus
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Lafayette Square
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My wife and I went for a night without the kids. Atmoshpere was very laid back and quiet, a plus. We waited a short time for them to attend to us no big deal since we both needed the wind down from kid chaos. We were brought water in chilled glasses a nice touch since I don't like the ovefilled ice water glass in winter especially. The waiter seemed to be just going through the motions but was accurate and efficient. Draft beer only which I ordered the Spaten Oktoberfest--which seemed more like a lager. My wife ordered a house red. For the meal I ordered the Rouladen with two sides one of them being the creamed spinach based upon a fellow trip advisor review--the other being potato pancakes. My wife ordered the jagerschnitzel with mixed veggies and potato pancakes. Both meals were very good and served warm and promptly except my wife did not like her mixed veggies so she ate half of my creamed spinach which was very good. Overall bill $52 before tip. Amount of food was very adequate. I'd say overall good but the service was a little bit of a negative--very stoic.

1  Thank LouieD14

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Four of us (two couples) went to the Gast Haus to celebrate two birthdays (the guys). We all love German food and German beer. We had tried the so-called German restaurant in Mascoutah last year. Awful, just awful. So, we had a bit of fear trying a new place.
This restaurant is fairly small and has a old-time feel, which is perfect for our needs. The first thing the guys did was to check out which beers were on tap. Spaten Octoberfest - now we are in business. There were only two other tables of customers on a Sunday evening. (A shame)
We started with a boot of Spaten. Has to be the best deal in town 60? ounces for $16- don't quote me on that exact price- but it was about that. Three of us ordered the sampler. We were here to try as many dishes as possible. The sampler has rouladen, schnitzel, and a wurst with spaetzel. The sides we tried included potato pancakes w applesauce, red cabbage, and mixed vegetables. The two salads we tried were the beet and the cucumber. The fourth person tried a pork strips in a creamy mushroom sauce. All of us who ordered the sampler plates were very happy with our choice. The food was good. As good as mine?- maybe not. But, good nonetheless. As good as dear old mom? God, yes, she was a terrible cook. The potato pancakes were hot and crispy on the outside and soft inside - it was evident that they were made to order. The cucumber salad was good. I would have added a touch of dill but that is just me. The gal who ordered the pork strips said it was good but there was not much pork swimming in that sauce. We all ate every bite. Not a shred of red cabbage was left on any plate. It would have been nice if dinner came with a hard roll but the prices were very fair and amount of food was substantial. And, amazingly they take http://restaurant.com coupons! I almost felt guilty using it. Total bill minus the coupon + gratuity for 4 stuffed people with beer $93. I would call that a bargain. Will we go again? Definitely! The prices are fair, the food is good, and the parking lot is enormous.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I had heard of the St. Louis Gast Haus many times; but never had the opportunity to visit. Our previous German Restaurant experience was the Heritage Restaurant at Stone Hill Winery in Hermann, Mo.
I am very glad we finally made the time to visit the St. Louis Gast Haus because we found good German food much closer to home and reasonable prices. The sausages are great tasting and the sauerkraut with pork is excellent. The potato pancakes are very tasty but the German potato salad was not served as hot as I like it.
Overall, we were pleased with our experience at the St. Louis Gast Haus and will return many times in the future.
The ambiance was nice, clean and the service was good. I liked the mural in the main dining room.

1  Thank Walter W
Reviewed October 5, 2011

My wife and I enjoyed the restaurant. Many items on the menu and alot of beer choices. All around good food and service. The restrooms were very clean which is always a plus and an indication about the entire business. The only drawback for me was I felt the meals were overpriced,around $20 @ plate. I had a $25 coupon and the remaining bill was almost $40 tip included, 2 draft beers - 2 entrees - no appetizer - no dessert.

1  Thank what38
Reviewed July 8, 2011

First, let me preface this with I HATE writing bad reviews and this is actually the first REALLY bad one I've ever written. But after our experience, I really feel this restaurant needs a kick in the pants. This was not the first time we visited this restaurant and each time it seems to get worse with last night being the last time we will visit unless they turn it around. We happened to be there with a large group, so I can be forgiving for that fact. However, the rock I crunched down on in my salad was inexcusable. At first I thought it was a peppercorn, but after further inspection (and others at our table also finding grit in their lettuce), I realized it was a rock. My husband ordered the "beet salad" and it was literally a small dish of canned beets. I will say the pretzels were good. But the rest was just a mess of what seemed like reheated food and not fresh. The dessert option consisted of 4 different strudels. We were intrigued by the poppy-seed strudel, but when we asked the waiter what was in it, he said, "Um...it's just strudel with poppy-seeds." Ok.....so we got the cheese strudel instead upon his recommendation. It was obviously microwaved because it came out blazing hot, flat as a pancake, and rubbery. Had the food been good...actually just decent, I would say the prices were reasonable (between $15 and $20 for an entree), but under no circumstances does rocks/dirt in my food, vegetables straight from a can and microwaved food warrant $20. I say this place has potential because they are one of the only German restaurants in St. Louis and their building is really neat (once you see past the outdated grandmother-style decorating). They need someone like Gordon Ramsey to come in and streamline their menu, focus on a few signature dishes with FRESH food and literally clean up their act. We all chuckled at the plaques on the way out (from 2011 even) that said Favorite German Restaurant in St. Louis. I guess when there's only one....

1  Thank canard314