“Favorite Chinese Restaurant in St. Louis”

Chinese Noodle Cafe
Ranked #1,719 of 2,971 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed June 18, 2013

One of my favorite places, both for carry-out and dining in, and I love introducing family and friends to Chinese Noodle Cafe. The owner, Peggy Hou, is very hands-on, greeting guests, answering questions, even making the delicious pot stickers. I swear by her soups when I have a cold - I'm sure they've helped cure me! The atmosphere is very comfortable and you're made to feel like a regular the moment you walk in. The food is delicious, particularly the Hot and Sour Soup, Hunan Chicken and Egg Rolls, and portions are very generous. The location is great - across from The Pageant Theatre, at the east end of the Delmar Loop. There is also limited seating outdoors - take advantage of this while the weather is nice and enjoy your meal while people-watching.

1  Thank lanorte1

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We walked the Delmar Loop on our last night in St. Louis trying to decide where to eat. We were greeted by the owner, Peggy, as we looked at the posted menu. She told us she had the best Chinese in St. Louis. We noticed the "Best of" awards on the wall. "Best Chinese Food" plaques every year from 2004 - 2013.
We must've come on a bad day. The food was average at best. We've even had better on buffets. The Crab Rangoon was tasty but that wasn't enough to overcome every other bland / off flavored item.
Peggy and her team were very friendly and outgoing.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Food is alright, average. But the Eggrolls, are really amazing. Worth grabbing a bite to eat here for sure.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Fast, fresh and tantalizing to the taste buds, hot and sour soup at Chinese Noodle Café is a compelling reason to visit this extraordinary restaurant. The similar, but diversely sliced vegetables are just as persuasive. Directly across from the Pageant, the eclectic mix of privately owned (or non chain) merchant shops and restaurants is another enticing reason.
I recently visited Chinese Noodle café on a busy Saturday night and a less crowded early Sunday evening. The interior, with its mixture of light and dark oranges, pea and avocado greens and yellow crème colors, as strange as this may sound, is just as inviting as the hot and sour soup. The restaurant is in a long and narrow older building with a refinished original wood floor. The lighting is bright and cheerful but not blinding. Restaurateur Peggy Hou greets customers with a “Hi, how are you.”
My Saturday night visit started with hot and sour soup as an appetizer. The soup is laden with carrots, strands of leafy wood ear mushrooms, crunchy slices of bamboo, water chestnuts and opposing chunks of soft tofu. The delicate blend of spicy broth with vinegar overtones topped with fresh cilantro and red pepper flakes makes the hot and sour soup a must order.
Appropriately, the restaurant offers seven signature Chinese Noodle soup specials. They range from seafood, beef, chicken, and vegetarian rice sticks to pork chop noodles soup, which has an entire pan fried pork chop on top of the noodles. This Saturday night, I chose the beef noodles soup as my first entrée. The quart sized bowl was enough for at least two people. Thin, very hot beefy broth with slices of ginger will definitely help clear the sinuses. The basic spaghetti-style noodles float underneath the vegetables and beef chunks. The vegetables range from angle cut celery, julienned zucchini to thin julienned carrots. The large beef chunks are very tender, but chewy with some fat still attached. This doesn’t take away, but adds to the rustic texture of the soup. This beef noodle soup has made me want to try the other six.
I continued with the beef theme by ordering spicy Hunan style beef. A red pepper logo stamped on the menu indicated this as a spicy dish, but the flavorsome brown sauce was only slightly spicy. My tastes require more. The thick cut carrots, half dollar sized water chestnuts, and broccoli florets; all crunchy, were offset by the very tender beef slices. A generous portion of white rice and an eggroll filled the entire oval plate. This dish was not disappointing.
I began my Sunday evening visit with an appetizer of crab rangoon. The six deep-fried pieces were appealingly hot and filled with generous amounts of cream cheese and imitation crab bits. These were like the bad parts of a Rembrandt painting: didn’t bother me. They were served with a fingerbowl of sweet and sour sauce with a dollop of hot mustard sauce on top. Swirling a piece of crab rangoon in this mixture provided the perfect bridge to an entrée of cashew chicken.
I continued my Sunday night with an order of cashew chicken. The usual suspect vegetables were present, celery, carrots and water chestnuts. But this time, they were cubed. Plenty of tender chicken slices were accompanied by a different brown sauce with bits of garlic that shouted in my mouth. Vegetable fried rice replaced the typical white rice. The ample supply of toasted cashew nuts on top made my last dish simply awesome.
A couple of additional notes; Peggy Hou is a generous person who offered a free bowl of hot and sour soup to the people waiting for their takeout orders. Her generosity is also evidenced by the large portion sizes.
I also noticed the basic assortments of four vegetables in each dish were cut in different ways to give each dish its own life. What a simple idea. Sometimes the simplest things in life are the hardest to do, but this has definitely been accomplished at Chinese Noodle Café.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have been looking for a Chinese restaurant that would be better than the typical Chinese Restaurants in the St. Louis area, which are usually bland and mostly deep fried. After reading reviews we hoped this one would be better. It was OK. Also, just like a previous reviewer, we had to purchase more than we wanted just so we could use the Groupon. Seemed like we had to spend a certain amount in order to get the $20.00 off, even though the Groupon itself did not specify it.

1  Thank Merlyn1970