Tripadvisor

Order Online
Ranked #110 of 3,468 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani, Persian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Sameem is the first and, for the time being, only Afghan restaurant in the entire state of Missouri. Predominantly serving traditional Afghan cuisine consisting of lamb, chicken, hearty stews, kabobs, chops and rice dishes. We also cater to the vegetarian population, offering a number of tasty pastas and vegetarian entrees. Afghan style possesses a very balanced and delicious flavor. When it comes to service, we stand by our name. Our food is consistently excellent, both appetizing and delicious, and we serve very generous portions at reasonable prices. The dining room atmosphere is classic and elegant. Our restaurant has already received numerous awards, such as being named "One of the top 5 new Restaurants in 2005" by The St. Louis Post Dispatch, "The Best Middle Eastern Restaurant in 2006" by River Front Times Magazine, and the "Concierge Preferred Business of 2007" by Concierge Magazine. If you have never had Afghan food, please visit Sameem and you will become forever a fan. History Established in 2005. We are the only Afghan Restaurant in the State of Missouri. We opened in 2005 and have achieved numerous accomplishments such as the best 5 new restaurants, Best Middle Eastern Restaurant, Meet the Managers Qayum Mohammad Fahime Mohammad My brother/partner and I came to the States in 1991 to escape turmoil in Afghanistan. We started our restaurant Careers at Old Warson Country club as busboys and worked our ways up to the ranks of waiter and supervisor. One day my brother bought me a meal to work that his wife had cooked. I shared the food with co-workers who were curious what I was eating. After they tasted it and immdeately said "You guys should open a restaurant serving this food". One Sunday the two of us were taking between shifts break at the employees dinning room and my brother opened The Sunday paper and Noticed a restaurant for sale. He immediately said " I swear if we open an Afghan restaurant there, we will be very successful" And we did so.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had lunch here and shared the “feast for two”. Nice way to try several dishes, all of which were very good. Everything was very good. The only reason for the 4 versus 5 rating is the table was uncomfortably cold, meaning I had to eat wearing my winter coat. We will likely come back when the weather is warmer!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (161)

Reviewed October 13, 2019

I very ordinary looking almost hole in the wall neighborhood place.

But the FOOD!!! It is worth a very long drive - and twice what they charge.

The service is good. Earnest, efficient, simple. The proprietor came by every table more than once between stints supervising the kitchen just to check that everyone was happy.

If you are in St. Louis, go. Period.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed July 28, 2019

Absolute must visit if you enjoy Indian, Pakistani, Afghan, Tibetan foods and flavors. Select from a variety of rices, meat (incl. lamb and goat) and vege dishes, prepared to your desired hot-spice level. Great staff and friendly owner/operator. Excellent for lunch and dinner. Currently located in a small dining room on Manchester Rd in the Grove neighborhood.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed July 24, 2019 via mobile

This place is a find! Everything we tried was so good! All the kids even wanted to come back again - and we will.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed March 23, 2019 via mobile

We made a reservation by text just 30 minutes before and it meant we were taken up to the main restaurant area. Make sure you make a reservation. It is not high end food but is exceptionally good quality representative of Afghan style which is similar but still distinctly different to Indian and Pakistani food. The flavors were complex yet well balanced. The dishes we had were overall very good. We will definitely return.

Date of visit: March 2019