“Spicy good food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 2,874 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Sameem is the first and, for the time being, only Afghan restaurant in the entire state of Missouri. Predominantly serving traditional Afghan cuisine consisting of lamb, chicken, hearty stews, kabobs, chops and rice dishes. We also cater to the vegetarian population, offering a number of tasty pastas and vegetarian entrees. Afghan style possesses a very balanced and delicious flavor. When it comes to service, we stand by our name. Our food is consistently excellent, both appetizing and delicious, and we serve very generous portions at reasonable prices. The dining room atmosphere is classic and elegant. Our restaurant has already received numerous awards, such as being named "One of the top 5 new Restaurants in 2005" by The St. Louis Post Dispatch, "The Best Middle Eastern Restaurant in 2006" by River Front Times Magazine, and the "Concierge Preferred Business of 2007" by Concierge Magazine. If you have never had Afghan food, please visit Sameem and you will become forever a fan. History Established in 2005. We are the only Afghan Restaurant in the State of Missouri. We opened in 2005 and have achieved numerous accomplishments such as the best 5 new restaurants, Best Middle Eastern Restaurant, Meet the Managers Qayum Mohammad Fahime Mohammad My brother/partner and I came to the States in 1991 to escape turmoil in Afghanistan. We started our restaurant Careers at Old Warson Country club as busboys and worked our ways up to the ranks of waiter and supervisor. One day my brother bought me a meal to work that his wife had cooked. I shared the food with co-workers who were curious what I was eating. After they tasted it and immdeately said "You guys should open a restaurant serving this food". One Sunday the two of us were taking between shifts break at the employees dinning room and my brother opened The Sunday paper and Noticed a restaurant for sale. He immediately said " I swear if we open an Afghan restaurant there, we will be very successful" And we did so.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Spicy good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

First time here in sameem, its definitely a place I would come back. Ordered chicken Marsala, very good. I don't like spicy food this is def spicy for my taste. They give you very large portion. Jasmine rice was cooked perfectely, chicken was also good. The restaurant was small but they have an upstair room for more people. Food came out very fast!!!! We had a very large group more than 10, food came out 10-15 mins. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank michelle M M

ARNOLD
“What a GREAT restaurant experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I don't know much about Afghan food, but I know the times I've been to Sameems I sure have loved it. Along with the traditional dishes available there, the proprietors have created "fusion" dishes that are great as well. They have a couple pasta dishes that are just outstanding. In addition, the owners are on site at all times (well, at least each time I've been there) and are incredibly friendly. The space there is cozy and well maintained. Being right in The Grove neighborhood, there are plenty of places to get a quick drink after dinner as well! I've been about five times so far and it has been equally fantastic each time.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank markstlou
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Had very good lamb with...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2009

Had very good lamb with basmati rice, but not as good as the lamb you get at some indian establishments.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good curry dishes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

good curry dishes!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“A favorite.. lamb dish with the raisin pilaf is excellent. Prices are very reasonable. Owner is very congenial and...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

A favorite.. lamb dish with the raisin pilaf is excellent. Prices are very reasonable. Owner is very congenial and generous, and taken comments about slow lunch service to heart -- much improved in that area as well!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook