“Monday Night Rustic Dinners are Back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Niche Restaurant - CLOSED

Niche Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Forsyth, Bemiston
Description: Niche offers several ways to experience our cuisine: a four-course menu at $67 per person (dishes are priced a la carte as well), and a Chef's Tasting menu at $100 per person. In order to best serve you, we kindly ask that you note any dietary restrictions and/or aversions when booking your reservation. Thank you! Please note: On Monday evenings, Niche offers an experience entirely different than that offered the rest of the week. "Monday Night Suppers" feature a 3-course menu of rustic, hearty classics for $35/person. This is the exclusive menu offering on Mondays.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Monday Night Rustic Dinners are Back!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Picture it. Monday evenings after the first day of a new work week, a rustic dinner is waiting for you after work. Does it sound too good to be true? Perhaps, but it’s not my little doggy imagination working over-time. Niche’s Rustic Monday Dinner is back! And this little doggy did a happy dance on my way to the restaurant last night.

For those who don’t know about Niche’s Rustic Monday Dinner, it’s a three-course meal for only $35.00 per person. It’s the best $35.00 you will ever spend for a meal in St. Louis. Let me break out for you last night’s food experience.

The first course was a new and exciting twist on a caprese salad as only Niche can do. Chilled, blistered cherry tomatoes, perfectly prepared slices of eggplant, mozzarella cheese and basil pesto all served with a balsamic reduction, oh and I dare not forget the toasted bread crumbs sprinkled over the top.

The second course was a choice between brick chicken or braised lamb. I selected the brick chicken. It was perfectly cooked with skin on, lightly seasoned and melted in your mouth. It was served with small toasted pasta and charred squash. I’m not sure what the sauce was but it was silky, complex, and delicious.

The third course was a pear tart, but again, a tart that only the talented folks at Niche could create. The crust was thin, flaky without being greasy. The pears were roasted inside the tart, and then it is turned upside down and baked a second time with a bourbon caramel sauce. It was served with house-made vanilla ice cream.

Needless to say I cannot wait to find out what the menu will be next Monday, but you can bet that I will be there with my napkin and cocktail in paw.

from my dog bowl to yours...happy eating
shatasdogbowl

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DJ Shata H

Illinois
“Niche - chef's tasting at the chef's counter”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

October 5, 2013 - wife and I had the pleasure of sitting at the chef's counter.
Wonderful experience!
The seats require a reservation and if sitting there you're required to take the chef's tasting, a 10+ course chef's sampler of pretty much everything that is on the menu for that evening. Price per head was $95. (A La Carte or Four Courses at $55) Take the wine pairing and it's another $55 per person. There is no additional fee for sitting at the counter.
Wife and I had eaten there before and had the 5 course chef's tasting.
The chef's counter seats allowed for quite a bit of interaction w/ the executive chef and his crew... where time allowed they were more than happy to answer any and all questions.
It was even more entertaining to watch the way the whole staff meshed and interacted almost on a telepathic level. It seemed as if they could each anticipate when one of the others needed something and were performing some tasks without having to be asked.
Dishes such as "Egg" which was served in a egg shell and consisted of three layers, custard, roasted shitake mushrooms and a topped with a "house made caviar"; Potato and Leek soup; compressed watermelon slices and home made melon popsicles to clear the palate are just a sampling of what we enjoyed.
Presentation is a premium. Attention to detail is job #1 and is obvious.

It's a pricey experience and certainly not something we can afford very often, but life's too short to not create such pleasant memories.

Valet parking is only $4 or Parking garage right next door and they'll validate your ticket.

We'll return again to Niche's. We probably won't do the chef's counter but I'd certainly recommend the experience to anyone that has the means.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank john e
Marion, Illinois
“Beyond Compare Romantic Night for Two”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The interior is simple and elegant. The staff, without compare. It was a mid-week evening meal while we were in town for a concert. We began with the Dia's cheese bread. It was seriously the best cheese bread I've ever had. It even had a wonderful hint of salt that was fabulous. And to speak to some things salty: the pickled veggies that came on the wooden board with the bread were to-die-for. I seriously would buy jars of their pickled vegetables. Seriously. At this point, I knew the rest of the meal would be amazing. Next course: potato and leek soup. The buttermilk was like an ice cream and they poured the hot soup over it. It also had potato chips on the bottom of the bowl. To be frank, if it was acceptable I would have licked the bowl. And that would not be the last time I had that thought. Smoked pork shoulder. The Double Star Lamb was the best lamb dish I have ever had; and I eat a lot of lamb. Pear and cheese plate for our deserts. I'm almost sad that my husband and I ordered almost identical meals because I'm sure there is more on this menu to savor.

Service was impeccable. The wait staff could rival any in San Francisco, L.A., and New York.

Drink selection was very good. The blood orange martini was flavorful and I loved the glassware it was served in.

Welcoming, warm and friendly. We will definitely be back when we are in the area.

• Visited September 2013
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Unexpected Dining Experience”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

What a wonderful evening spent at Niche. It almost didn't happen. We were in the St.Louis area for one night and we were looking for an experience to celebrate a birthday. On their website they said they were closed Monday's but we decided to call. On Monday's they offer a 5 course prefix meal. We had the wine pairing. Each course and pairing were delicious. The staff was wonderful. They were not only knowledgeable on what was being served but they shared the history of the restaurant and executive chef with pride. Most restaurants of this caliber are dark and romantic, Niche was well lit which was surprisingly more enjoyable it allowed us to enjoy the presentation as much as the taste. The kitchen was open, organized and spotless, the staff obviously have high standards to what is acceptable in their kitchen. I could not express how impressive it was.

• Visited September 2013
Chesterfield, Missouri
“All style, no substance”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Be sure to learn sign language before you go here, because you will not be able to hear anyone across the table from you. The roar in this place is just deafening. All the hype this chef has gotten for the past few years clearly has gone to his head. The food really isn't that good, but it certainly is too precious by half. It seems just simply weird for the sake of being weird. All six in our party unanimously decided it was a horrible experience and we will never be back.

• Visited July 2013