“Nice neighborhood place”

Neighborhood: Tower Grove
illinois
“Nice neighborhood place”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Extensive drink menu, good beer selection, and tasty food. Had the brisket tacos they were awesome, nice patio are out back, limited seating.

• Visited July 2013

Huntsville AL
“Great neighborhood bar/restaurant”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

While visiting in South City last weekend, found The Royale. Awesome liquor selection, as well as the on-tap beer choices. The Royale also has a great patio area. Ordered the chicken pita. It was was huge and had a great taste. Get the sweet potato fries as your side. Friendly staff. Not very busy for dinner, but I'm sure it was packed later in the evening.

• Visited June 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Love this place”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Try the Royale Burger with goat cheese and pesto. Literally THE best burger in the entire world. Great chill spot. Not much table space though.

• Visited May 2012
“Not so Royale, but rather dirty.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We had heard of the this restaurant from some friends who lived near by as a place for casual food. We were near Tower Grove Park for an Easter Egg hunt and decided to grab some lunch. The website says great place for anyone to dine so we figured on a Saturday for lunch would be fine to take our kids. Not so much...they have no kids menu which was fine but $50+ for lunch is a bit pricey for 2 burgers, grilled cheese, chips and water. They also have no high chairs so I held my daughter the entire time.

I can see that the menu is appealing vs a chain restaurant but nothing special. Food was average, the best thing on the menu was the homemade potato chips as a side which was an up charge of $1 per plate. Each entree was supposed to come with a side which there were around 8 to chose from but 6 of the 8 were an up charge. They could just say that the entrees come with a choice of tortilla chips or sweet potato chips. They had nothing for our kids to drink besides water, no juice or milk.

The restaurant was in need of a cleaning from the front door to the bathrooms. Our 5 year old didn't want to wash his hands in the bathroom,"why is it so dirty?" I didn't really have an explanation but makes me wonder what the kitchen looks like. Ahhh! We had already eaten. The server seemed to be annoyed that we had kids with us or that she had to serve us at all. Another family was in the booth next to us holding their one year old. He cried out once and the bartender started talking about how she can't stand crying babies loud enough for all of us to hear. Not so subtle that we weren't their ideal clientele. I should have figured when the restaurant had only 3 tables at lunch time and the servers were drinking at the bar that this wasn't for us. This is a bar that serves food, not a restaurant, which is great but not what we were looking for.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“my favorite!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is definitely my favorite restaurant in St. Louis. The atmosphere is one where you would feel comfortable dressed up or down, and the space is just small enough to feel intimate without feeling like everyone else can hear your conversation. The back patio area is wonderful in spring and fall, and on those (few) pleasant St. Louis summer evenings when the suffocating heat finally gives you a break.

The staff are consistently charming, friendly, and knowledgeable. The service is always good and fast, no matter how busy they are - and they are often crazy busy! And despite the crowds, I've never felt rushed when eating there on a busy Friday night.

The food here is amazing! I have never been disappointed in any dish that I've ordered. The menu changes frequently and seasonally, but keeps a few constants on there that you can always go to when you can't decide. A lot of items on the menu are locally sourced and produced, which is nice to know. I recommend the fish tacos above all others.

They also have a great drink selection with a number of house specialties, as well as an extensive list of classics. The tap list is fantastic, as well, and changes frequently and focuses on local breweries.

I honestly cannot recommend this enough. I will truly miss The Royale when I move away from St. Louis.

• Visited January 2013