“Great location, clean rooms”

Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis at Forest Park
Ranked #3 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
MO
“Great location, clean rooms”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here one night in the two queen bed suites, and really loved it. We were on the 6th floor and it was very quiet, with no kids running up the halls and no late night loud drunks coming in at all hours of the night like the places we have stayed downtown. I can't tell you how pleased we were that it was so clean, and the beds were very comfortable, and the room quite spacious. The pool area looked great, but we didn't have time to use it. The front desk people were friendly too. The breakfast was the only let down. We expected more from this hotel. Very basic, even more so than the Pear Tree Inn that we frequent near the airport, which is a more modest hotel than this one. They have decent biscuits and gravy and better eggs, and this one has rubber eggs and no biscuits and gravy and they charge alot more for the rooms. I would stay here again, but eat my breakfast out...

Room Tip: Stay on the 6th floor if possible. Less noise and a great view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
lvarney1, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis at Forest Park, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear mwiley1;

Thank you for leaving your comments in Trip Advisor! We are happy that you enjoyed our 2 Queen Studio Suite and that you were in a nice, quiet area of the hotel. Our rooms are pretty sound proof. Our Studio Suites are double the width size of our Standard Rooms and they do have a nice sitting area with a fold out sofa. We do strive for cleanliness and our Housekeeping Executives are truly on top of this. We hope to have you back to enjoy our Fresh & Clean bedding, again, and take a dip in our indoor pool. We do rotate our hot items in breakfast and if you let me know when you will be returning, I will make sure that there are biscuits & gravy on the menu. I am sorry that you found the eggs "rubbery"; they are real eggs and were maybe just a little over cooked? We Love Having You Here and our friendly staff is waiting to greet you with a smile :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here in June 2012 and, as with previous visits, I was impressed with the hotel's condition, rooms, etc. (I happen to dislike the Hampton Inn's bedding -- cheap and synthetic feeling -- but that is a chain-wide issue and I don't hold that against any particular Hampton location.) It's definitely a step above your average Hampton Inn, especially in-terms of design. The location is great for exploring St. Louis. While there's nothing much around the hotel itself, the hotel's location gives you easy access via car to downtown, Forest Park, Clayton, etc. I was visiting a lot of friends around the city, so I appreciated the central location.

My only complaint concerns the room rate. Due to travel troubles (a flight cancellation), I missed the first night of my stay. I called the hotel, and they kindly changed my reservation to begin on the following day. However, what I was not told on the phone at that time -- and did not discover until check-out -- is that in changing my reservation, they also increased my room rate by $20, moving me from the standard king room I had booked into a king studio suite. I think that is kind of tacky -- a guest should be informed if the room rate changes.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank brmusicman
lvarney1, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis at Forest Park, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear brmusicman;

It is nice to hear that you are a repeat guest. We are glad that you have found our location and continue to stay with us when visiting St. Louis. We are in a great location and so close to Downtown, right across the street from Forest Park, the closest hotel to the St. Louis Zoo, 2 miles North of The Hill (historic Italian district), a quick drive to The Delmar Loop, and very convenient to The Central West End. Next time you are with us, remember - it is just a short walk to the St. Louis Science Center; you can leave your car here to avoid parking charges. I apologize that you were not informed, over the phone, that changing your reservation involved a rate change. We do try strive to provide this information when changing reservations. We hope you will be back because We Love Having You Here!
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Came with the family to visit Washington University and found this to be an easy and economical stay. Check in was easy, the room was spacious (we got the suite) and clean, desk people were very nice. We enjoyed the breakfast as well!
We walked for dinner to a nearby Steak and Shake and it was a little scary at night. I might drive next time. The lobby did have a strong smell of chlorine from the pool I presume.
So, 2 little negatives but overall I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to mention if you are visiting Washington University. You get a really nice discount! Much...
Dear travelerwith4;

Thank you for leaving your comments in Trip Advisor. We want all of our guests to know that we do read each review and take comments / concerns very seriously in making our property the best for our guests. Pleased that you experienced a speedy check in and a nice, clean room with Fresh & Clean bedding. Our studio suites are very nice rooms, almost double the width size of our standards. The flat panel TV's are larger, you have a mini fridge & microwave, and a nice sitting area with full size fold out sofa. We are always working to keep our pool area clean and comfortable; sorry that the chlorine smell was a little overwhelming. We do hope that you will return when in the St. Louis area.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My family and I stayed here for three nights. The location is great, less than a 15 min drive from most attractions like the zoo, arch, gardens, city museum and just a couple blocks away from the Science Center. The parking is FREE and very convenient with plenty of open spaces. Parking is just right outside the door so you don't have the hassle of going in and out of a parking garage. The breakfast exceeded my expectations with a huge variety each morning mixed with hot and cold items to choose from. The rooms were extremely CLEAN and the beds were HEAVENLY!! Came in after a long evening to cold lemonade and fresh cookies. The ONLY negative thing I can say is that I have to agree with the previous review on the pool. The Chlorine in the pool is too strong it was at times unbearable to sit in there and watch the kids. However, Management was very attentive to this and went in the next morning and it seemed better. Overall a great stay and definitely will stay there the next time I'm in St. Louis!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
lvarney1, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis at Forest Park, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear Robint84;

We are so happy that you found our location to be convenient to the major St. Louis attractions. We are in an Urban District, on the outskirts of Downtown, and are able to always offer complimentary parking! Thank you for the nice comments on our breakfast. Did you notice that we change out our hot items, each day; therefore, you get a variety when staying multiple nights. We do provide Fresh & Clean bedding for each of our guests and so glad that the mattresses were comfy. You can even purchase them through a Hampton Inn website, if you desire. We do always offer up a solution to any unpleasureable experience and am happy to hear that management addressed the chlorine levels in the pool. Just trying to keep it clean & clear for our guests! Come on back and enjoy some more cookies, lemonade, cleanliness & friendliness from the Hampton Inn & Suites Forest Park.
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The hotel is built on the site of a former amusement park and the pictures through out are from the park. Very close to the zoo and the park. The breakfasts were the same at any inn or motel, fair at best. The pool was pretty bad. I could not use it the second nite because the chlorine burned my eyes. The hotel should look into a salt water pool. We used one in South Carolina and it was wonderful.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear EricM;

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review in Trip Advisor. Happy to hear that you found the staff friendly and accommodating. We strive for cleanliness and friendliness. Always feel free to address any issue with our Front Desk, even the chlorine levels of the pool. We do our best to fix each and every concern in a timely manner. Thanks for the suggestion on the salt water pool. And, yes, we are in a very historic area. The amusement park was part of the 1904 World's Fair. It was called the Highlands Amusement Park and the last piece of equipment burnt in 1963. We get a lot of nice comments on our artwork. Hope you come back and enjoy the property, again! We Love Having You Here!
dallas,tx
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I think this is the third time we have stayed at this Hampton and we may have even stayed in the same room before. Everything was how we remembered it - same pleasant staff, same awkward parking. It was pretty crowded as it was a holiday weekend with a lot going on around St. Louis, but our room was perfectly quiet. Breakfast was the only real disappointment, at least at first. They only had one person attending and there was just too many people eating to keep up, so they were running out. This was around 9am. So we ate what we could, brought some back to the room and got ready to check out. Around 10:20am (breakfast ends at 10:00), we come back downstairs to check out and we wander into the breakfast area to get some coffee and notice some of the food is still out so we decide to toast up some muffins and have a seat. We started a conversation with the attendant who was very friendly and talked to her about the crowd this morning. She was so nice, explaining the logistics of keeping that many people fed when it's that crowded and you could really appreciate the effort she was making. When we finally finished and were getting ready to leave, she brought out coloring books, crayons and chips for my kids. I wish I remembered her name, but she was working the morning of July 3rd. This is how come we will be coming back a fourth time, when you have staff that makes a difference like that.

Room Tip: We prefer the rooms toward the parking lot side away from the highway.
2 Thank DallasDad
, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis at Forest Park, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear DallasDad;

Thank you for continuing to stay with us and leaving comments in Trip Advisor. How ironic that you even stayed in the same room. As you mentioned, we are a busy property and run a high occupancy. I am so happy that you had a nice, quiet room, over the holiday. I am thrilled to find that you were able to sit, relax, eat breakfast, and converse with Shameka, even though it was after 10am. I did print your comments and gave her a copy and posted it for the rest of the staff to read. Thank you for understanding; it is sometimes hard to staff appropriately because we do get a lot of last minute reservations and walk ins. Shameka does a great job and it is nice to hear you could appreciate her efforts. She is great with the children. We look forward to your return because We LOVE Having You Here!
Chicago
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Pulled into town on a 112 degree day and the hotel had ice cold pink lemonade in the lobby! What a treat! Staff was nice and helpful and breakfast was great. The room was in great Hampton Inn shape and we were happy to be there!

Room Tip: I would think all rooms are good here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Elliesue8;

WOW - we have had some hot St. Louis Summer days and you did arrive on one of them. We are pleased that you found our treat of pink lemonade and were able to enjoy some at check in. It is so nice to get feedback on the little things that we do to make our guests stay comfortable. We are known for cleanliness & friendliness; glad that you experienced that with our staff. We hope that you return to enjoy our Fresh & Clean bedding, Hamptonality, and Hot on the House Breakfast.