“Great opera and entertainment” 5 of 5 bubbles

Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Ranked #86 of 252 things to do in Saint Louis
St. Louis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Great opera and entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and I have been attending Opera Theatre of St. Louis for over 30 years. It is one of St. Louis' hidden treasures.

The opera performances feature great singing from rising younger artists , exciting productions, and a varied repertory with 24 world premiers and 23 American premiers.

The theatre is small--under 1,000 seats--and has a thrust stage. The net result is that all the seats are close.

We start off with dinner (order from the opera or bring our own) on the lawn or under one of the tents. Enjoy the opera. Then stay for the post-opera under the tent.

All in all, it makes for a great evening.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank travelstl

Saint Louis, Missouri
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“This is the Rep doing Opera”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

So, basically the Repertory Theatre in St. Louis, does Opera for 3 months and calls it the Opera Theatre of St. Louis. When I think of Opera I think of grander theaters. People still bring their grand egos though!!! Cost is very high, I felt, but the show was excellent and enjoyable. The other patrons sitting by me, not so! I would still give it 4 stars because the show was great, but I can't justify 5 stars with the limitations.

Kirkwood, Missouri
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Boxing, jazz and opera - a unique experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

First let me get this out of the way: I don't really enjoy opera. But I went to see this because of the story (Emile Griffith), the boxing setting, Terrence Blanchard. I enjoyed it a lot. The music was decidedly atonal/contemporary, not my favorite type. The voices were stellar, and the production was exciting and riveting. I'm glad I went, and give high praise to the creative team that put this together.

2 Thank Easyg1
Houston, Texas
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Wonderful performance!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My mom and I went and saw Pirates of Penzance. First of all, you can show up two hours before the performance and either order a picnic (which must be placed by 4 pm the day before) or bring your own picnic. Because of our schedule, we didn't eat but we wish we would have been able to make that work! We did have a drink (there's a bar) and snacks before the show. Then, an hour before the performance is a lecture. The speaker was the practice pianist and she was wonderful! She shared her passion for the opera as she taught us both about Gilbert & Sullivan, who wrote Pirates, and the actual opera of Pirates of Penzance.

The theatre is fairly small and I think all of the seats would be good ones. We actually paid for the most expensive seats, but I don't think that would be necessary.

The show was delightful! I've seen the movie version of this opera and this performance included plenty of surprises. It was hilarious! We had a wonderful evening. They also sell snacks and drinks at the intermission and there are candles lighting up the outdoor seating area. Just delightful!

2 Thank DanaHouston
Chicago, Illinois
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“if you can go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

if you ever though about going to the opera here is your chance to see great opera sung in english by great singers and wonderful sets. also almost every seat has a great view with the exception of the cheapest gorup, not in the city proper so you can avoid the big city traffis headache and over priced hotels and restaurants. liked it so much i'm a subscriber now

Visited June 2012