“I Needed More Time and Energy”

Saint Louis Art Museum
Ranked #8 of 263 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Dedicated to Art and Free to All. Located in beautiful, historic Forest Park, the Saint Louis Art Museum hosts a world-class collection of art works and artifacts in one of the most impressive buildings in the city. The Museum recently completed a major expansion project, adding 21 new galleries for both collection and temporary exhibitions. Admission to the Museum is free every day, and admission to special exhibitions is free on Fridays.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
Dallas, Texas
319 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 250 helpful votes
“I Needed More Time and Energy”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I did not do this museum justice. I'd had a hard day and only limited time, but I'd heard how good it was, so I went anyway. I'm so glad I did. I saw the newly installed Renaissance Gallery and loved it. I breezed through the rest of the main floor and was amazed at the depth of the collection. I was a little too overwhelmed to really appreciate it, but I knew I was privileged to be there.

I'm blown away that this is a free museum. Huzzah to the City of St. Louis. Sometimes people think free means it's not worth a visit. Go ahead, donate $20 a person and pretend it was the entrance fee if that will make you feel better, but don't doubt the value of this collection.

I was ragged by the time I made it through the main floor, but I love Decorative Arts, so I drug myself down a stairwell to see it. Thank God!! Loved the porcelain, the furniture, the period rooms, the stained glass. It nearly killed me, but if it had, it would have been a happy death. Go see this museum. I know I'm going to get back there somehow to get a better look at it.

1 Thank Jane S

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“One of the Best”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Please don't miss spending some time at one of the best art museums in the country, and it's free. All in a beautiful park-like setting near the zoo and restaurants.

Reno, Nevada
679 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 439 helpful votes
“Surprising depth of collection”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

First, this attraction is free. The collection is one of the best in America. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the collection. All the big artists are represented. True their may be only 1 or 2 pieces per artist but this isn't a specialty museum. The information along with each piece adds to the experience.

Bloomington, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Make time for this”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Last year we got to the St. Louis Art Museum about an hour before it closed and were quite frustrated. We should have gone the next morning before heading home. It is just a 4 hour drive. This year we made sure to have the time. This is terrific museum and has plenty to interest us, and we plan to go back. They are just finishing up a new wing and we can't wait to see it.

The exhibits are great, the information was well done, and it is pretty easy to get around and see what we want. It was pretty wild with loads of school children. There were 6-7 school buses parked out front. One of the guards was pretty harried. it was the last week of school and teachers are looking for ways to keep the kids busy. The same at the Botanical Gardens.

We were impressed with the museum and the grounds. It is in the site of the 1904 World's Fair. It was nice to see the park and how many people were taking advantage of the place.

On our next trip we want to see the new wing, spend more time, we were there for about 3 hours, and also get to the zoo which is also in the park. Museum and zoo are free. Make this a destination.

Sydney, Australia
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“A great art gallery”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Quite a stunning building with a really wide range of exhibits. All were well displayed with easy to read information.

There are three levels, all worth visiting. The American Art is on the top floor.

Quite an eclectic collection, just enough on each genre to whet your appetite and stimulate, but nothing had too much to become tedious.

The Grand Staircase is lovely and would be a delight to children to see themselves reflected so many times in the mirrors.

The gallery is free and the new wing will be opened within the next few weeks.

All the staff were helpful and friendly.