“Cool and Classy”

Saint Louis Art Museum
Ranked #8 of 267 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Dedicated to Art and Free to All. Located in beautiful, historic Forest Park, the Saint Louis Art Museum hosts a world-class collection of art works and artifacts in one of the most impressive buildings in the city. The Museum recently completed a major expansion project, adding 21 new galleries for both collection and temporary exhibitions. Admission to the Museum is free every day, and admission to special exhibitions is free on Fridays.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Saint Louis has many free and low-cost attractions, but the art museum should definitely be on your list. Their Max Beckmann collection is astonishing; and the Egyptian artifacts will thrill you. Everywhere you turn you'll find hidden treasures from cultures around the world.

Tip: Plan your visit so you can get in on a free, docent-led tour of the collection. Check the calendar on slam.org for daily tour times.

1  Thank beachykeen17

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Love the impressionist (especially Max Beckmann) collection- best gift shop in town- my number one go to place for birthday gifts!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I didn't really high expectations for this museum. Even their own website didn't really sell it for me, but I was pleasantly surprised at the variety and extent of their collection. I like the way the exhibits are mixed from gallery to gallery. It prevents viewing fatigue and keeps you interested. We also took a wlak around the pretty lake in front of the museum to enjoy the beautiful weather. I recommend giving this place a shot!

1  Thank EP_AlwaysOnTheGo
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great museum with something for everyone's taste! Exhibits from the Pharaohs to contemporary art. Situated on a bluff overlooking the beautiful Forrest Park. You don't want to miss this top flight destination that is open to the public for free! A great place to spend an hour or a day!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Let me start with the fact that this is one of the many FREE things to do in St. Louis! This is a great museum. It's located in the wonderful Forest Park, which is a huge park filled with much 'green space' and many outdoor things to do. The St. Louis Zoo is located in this 'park' as well. This is a very large museum with something for everyone. There is a cafe that is set to open soon and a very nice gift store in the lower level. I thought it would've been better to have the gift shop on the main level where I feel more people will be able to see it. That is the only 'helpful' thing I could offer. The museum workers were all very helpful and knowledgeable. We plan to go back again and spend more time, we didn't get through it all. I suggest you add it to your list of places to visit when in St. Louis...and did I mention that it's FREE?!

1  Thank dee512