“Good Residence Inn - Not Downtown”

Residence Inn St. Louis Downtown
Ranked #33 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Bloomington IL
“Good Residence Inn - Not Downtown”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

The Residence Inn St. Louis Downtown is not downtown and not walking distance from downtown. It is located in the heart of an industrial warehouse district not far from some run-down areas a couple miles west of downtown. The first thing that I noticed was the fenced-in parking area, probably necessitated by its proximity. The hotel itself is nice and what you expect from a newer Residence Inn. The staff could use a little more professionalism, but they get the job done. Breakfast was ready well in advance of the 6:30 scheduled time, but while I was there I was treated to some very loud (but good) sweet soul music. The singer may have ready for American Idol, but I wasn't ready for him so early in the morning. At least he loved his job.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank nrstycz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stayed at this hotel May 26-30th. Arrived to find that this hotel is gated with a security officer walking around. I thought this was great until I woke up Sunday morning and found my car and several other hotel guest cars broken into. I did not understand how this was possible since the property is gated, a security officer was present, and I was parked in a well lit area near the security camera. I was later told the security officer leaves at 4 am and the camera at this time was pointed toward the front door entrance.
I was casually talking later this day with the front desk staff and another hotel guest regarding the incidence when the maintenance worker, who was updating the color on the hotel's entrance mat, that he used to break into cars and how it was a" trainer" that broke into my car because how there was minimal damage to the door handle while another car did not because of the major damage to her door. What do you think of this? Luckily, I did not have any valuables in my car , unlike the others.
Later this same day, my room key did not work despite 3 sets of new keys. The front desk staff master key did not work either nor did the maintenance worker's key. The batteries needed to be replaced on the door plate. After gaining entrance into my room, I had received no housekeeping service. This proved to be evidence that the housekeeper could not enter my room either with her key. Why was this not reported to the front desk staff.
On a positive note, the hotel is nice, my room was clean, the front desk staff was pleasant, and the breakfast was wonderful. This prove to be fact because several police officers came to eat breakfast every morning.
I was pleased to say that I was compensated for my disastrous day, but sad to say that I will not stay here again. This is a shame considering this is a nice hotel. If you decide to stay, I would like to suggest removing all your valuables, leave the driver's side door open, and place a sign on the window saying "the door is open, feel free to look around, you will find no valuables, please move to another car". You are at high risk of a break in. At least this may save you a repair service.
BEWARE, NOW I KNOW WHY THIS HOTEL IS GATED WITH SECURITY!

Room Tip: Laundry Rooms On The Even Floors
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank I2SpecialK
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I totally loved this hotel. We stayed in a 2 bath/bedroom/kitchenette suite. Very very nice. Me and the kids had our own room and my mom had her own room and then there was a common room. Everything was super clean and comfortable St. Louis attractions are close, Starbucks is a couple of miles away. The staff was very nice and accomodating. The restaurant was great and cozy. The pool could be a little bigger but was nice. They do need more luggage carts so if you are leaving - grab one early. There is a 10.00 parking fee but compared to the Drury Plaze (23.00) I didn't mind paying it.

Room Tip: request room on opposite side of sun setting
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Donewatching
Alabama
Reviewed April 13, 2011

This was a great place to stay for my family while visiting St. Louis. All attractions we visited were within a few miles of the hotel. Breakfast was wonderful. Every night food was also served at dinner time (free), although we were not back in each night to enjoy of this. The staff was always courteous and helpful. The room had everything we needed. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

While in St. Louis we visited the City Museum (the highlight of our trip), the Science Center (free), the Gateway Arch, the zoo (free), and Union Station.

We enjoyed Hodacks Chicken, Fortels Pizza, & Pappys Smokehouse.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bama_mom456
Peoria, IL
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Booked a suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths. Perfect!! There were 4 adults, 2 babies and a large dog. Every detail was great: Check-in, check-out (price charged was what we were quoted), breakfast, the bar, snacks, shuttle service, pool & Jacuzzi.

The only negative was the highway & emergency vehicle noise.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Recently stayed here on a business trip. Staff was great as we had to manage a group of 13 rooms. Incredibly accommodating. Extremely convenient. Would definitely stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Overall is good for the family and price. You may need to validate the room that will be given to you . We reserved a king but we were given a queen bed. Location is ok but you will see that all are fenced and the guard has a pistol which indicate that it is not in one of the safe neighborhood.

• Stayed April 2010