“Sorry but this place is terrible”
Review of Grant's Farm

Grant's Farm
Ranked #10 of 275 things to do in Saint Louis
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The animal exhibits, in some cases at least, screamed out inhumane treatment of animals in both my opinion and others in our party. Examples include a poor eagle tied to a post and a huge turtle in a tiny pen, etc. It made my skin crawl, and for that reason alone I will never be back on general principle. The rest of the park is small, hokey and extremely dated, like something built in 1975 and never updated.

The single thing I can recommend if you decide to go anyway is feeding the goats. Other than that there is literally not another thing to recommend about this place. Take my opinion for what it's worth but I've been posting for years and have always sought to be balanced, this is my most negative review ever and it's reflective of the experience. If you go and share my opinion about the animal pens, please say something to the staff and your friends, it's an outrage.

5  Thank doughboy41
Write a ReviewReviews (1,701)
All reviews
in 77 reviews
"exotic animals"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Love grants farm- Been going since I was a little kid.....Kids like feeding the goats...And love the tram ride....Must stop for families!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The best place for families in St. Louis. We'd go there everyday in the spring, summer and fall if it was up to the kids. Trip starts with a tram ride past U.S. Grant's handmade home, "Hardscrabble", and then enters the Deer Park, where you'll see mustangs, buffalo, deer, and cattle from around the world, plus other animals. The tram drops you off at the "tiergarten" where there are animal habitats, a bird show, baby goat feeding, and a merry go round. The goats are fun, but watch out, they're hungry, particularly if you get there early. It can be a little messy if you decide to go inside the goat pen to feed them. There are other animals to see (kangaroos, tortoise, eagles) and feed (chickens, llamas, camels) and a camel ride was introduced in 2013. The last stop at Grant's Farm is the Bauernhof and stables (with horses and donkeys, including Miss Budweiser, a miniature donkey), which has a biergarten (two free samples) and food which is good and very reasonably priced for being at a park. I recommend the Grant's Farm Bratwurst. The tram drops you off at the entrance and you can visit the Clydesdale barn which is near the parking lot and see these gentle giants. There is no admission charge, but there is a fee for parking.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect from this--I had never been, and after reviewing the website, I thought it might cater more to families with small children. I am an Anheuser-Busch fan and collector, though, so I had to give it a go. We went during a family trip to St. Louis with two adults and three teenagers---and everyone loved it.

First, the site itself is free--parking is NOT. I don't know if they take cards or not, but it is about $10.00 to park, and they meet you as you enter the lot. So basically we paid one $10 fee for the 5 of us for the whole thing, which was more than reasonable! When you go into the site, you are immediately directed to the tram ride through the nature park--it is a lovely ride. We had beautiful October weather, and all the animals were out and active. If I had one complaint, I'd say that the ride itself is not long enough. After that, you are on your own to go through the park--if you do NOTHING else, buy some milk for the goats. I can't help it, I'm a goat fanatic, and that was probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen. There are camel rides, animal shows, and other animals to see and feed, and a biergarten. It is not a huge park, so it's good for little legs. Also, each adult does get 2 free beer "samples" (a regular sized glass of beer, and yes, they had Stella), so plan for that! Don't forget to tour the stables afterwards!

Well, well worth the trip, I'd like to do it again. Evenings in October, they are open after dark for Halloween events.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Had no idea what this place was, and I think my absolute amazement was enhanced by not having any expectations. The ride in is the best part!* It was an EXTREMELY hot day, but we managed to survive and enjoyed the animal and elephant shows, as well as a carousel ride and some goat feeding. Long, long, lines for food, which was frustrating in the heat but things moved along well enough - it was BUSY. The option once you disembark from the trams to get the little package was a good deal for us - food to feed the goats, a snow cone, and a carousel ride all for maybe $10? I can't remember exactly. We were not even in the seating for the elephant show but enjoyed seeing it from afar. The birds misbehaved during their show, and it was fun seeing the handlers improvise! Very professional. *The experience can be enhanced greatly by a good, clear-spoken tour guide/drive on the tram in. My sis went again later with other family and was very disappointed that our history-buff dad missed out on all the historical facts given as you drive in because the driver couldn't be heard clearly. Amazing that you only pay $12 parking to get in! That's a carload of nearly-free fun if you keep your waterbottle stocked in the bathrooms ;-)