“Great food”

Iron Barley Eating
Ranked #202 of 2,942 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: We are open Tuesday 3:00 -9:00 Wednesday - Thursday 11:00 am - 9:00 pm Friday and Saturday 11:00 Am - 10:00 pm Closed Sunday Monday and Tuesday...
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We all ordered something different and everything was great! Meats were all tender and flavorful, drinks were well made.

There are newer reviews for Iron Barley Eating

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Friends in St. Louis recommended that we join them for dinner at the Iron Barley on a Saturday night. They said "the decor's not much, but the food is great." That is a spot-on, 10 words or less description.

The Iron Barley is a hole-in-the-wall kind of place, and we were seated in the basement on high stools at a long narrow table. The basement was a bit dark, with some kitschy stuff on the walls, and it was, well, definitely a basement. Some folks would probably be put off by it. But we thought it added to the "fun" atmosphere. And our party was not much on formality for this evening. There was live singer with a guitar both upstairs and downstairs.

Our waitress was upbeat, fun, and clearly happy and eager to serve us. I ordered the Oak Roasted Pork Pruner, one (thick!) pork chop on an iron skillet atop barley and grilled vegetables. My daughter got prime rib - huge and fork tender. Our friends had Zarzuela (seafood stew), and Prime Rib Delmonico (looked fantastic), and another seafood dish. For dessert, Peanut Butter Blaster, a frozen peanut butter/cheesecake with oreo crust, topped with strawberry jalapeno sauce. Sounds so wrong .... tastes so good.

All the food was excellent! I would not hesitate to recommend the Iron Barley and would like to take the rest of my family here on another visit.

1  Thank dlp53
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

The lunch special was the fried chicken and it was awesome! Soaked overnight in buttermilk and Franks hot sauce then pan fried! Smashed potatoes were delicious! Service was great and very friendly! One of the best Triple D spots we've eaten at and we've visited quite a few.

1  Thank carol k
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I was enticed to visit by, yet again, Man vs. Food. I ordered the vegetable beef soup first and it was outstanding. I then ordered their magnum opus, the Monte Cristo Dog. The Chicago Red Hots were tender and tasted great with the jam spread on the hot dog buns. The server was a bit snarky when I asked him where Red Hots can be purchased. He didn't know and didn't seem to care if I knew either, oh well. Go here, get the Monte Cristo Dog and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have been wanting to stop by the Iron Barley for a while, so I went for lunch and got a bacon burger. They crumble bacon right into the meat. It was kind of dry though. It was the definition of okay. The atmosphere was very neat though. Lots of interesting things to look at. The bartender was super duper nice. I posted on facebook I had a burger and got replies saying I should have ordered something else. I guess they do other things better. I will probably go back since I live so close.