“A surprise on The Hill” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anthonino's Taverna LLC

Anthonino's Taverna LLC
Ranked #11 of 2,874 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: The Hill
“A surprise on The Hill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

While it shouldn't have been a surprise given the high Trip Adviser rating, this neighborhood restaurant was a wonderful surprise.

My son and I decided to go here for a lunch. To both of us, it was an interesting mix of Italian & Greek, and since we like both...

We decided to start with the saganaki. It was good and a nice way to start the meal. The only disappointing part was that they didn't ignite it at the table.

For our meals, my son opted for burger with gyro meat on it. He enjoyed it - it was juicy, good flavor and the gyro meat with an interesting addition, which was definitely worth trying.

For my meal, I opted for the dolmathes. It was a good portion size, great flavor and I would definitely order then again. But there were so many good choices, I might have to wait until a later trip.

The one thing I would change from how we handled the meal is to save room for dessert.

For visitors to St Louis as we were, this is a bit of a side trip into a neighborhood. But it's well worth it for a wonderful meal.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Feuding Staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Went today at lunch with a group of my coworkers - 7 total - and arrived around noon. There were empty tables, but we were told by the hostess that we needed to wait about 5 minutes before she could seat us because our waitress was a little overwhelmed and she needed to give her some time to calm down. We were seated and the waitress took our drink and appetizer orders. She brought out our drinks and then took our regular order. She seemed really frazzled. Our appetizers (toasted ravioli and fried pickles) came out in a reasonable amount of time and they were very good. We waited and waited and the waitress came out, apologized and said the kitchen was backed up and it was going to be a while before the food would be out. We could see and hear the kitchen staff fighting with the waitress and an older gentleman that I assume was the owner and/or manager. About 1:30 they finally started to bring out our food. We told them to just box it up because we had been there an hour and half and we had meetings at 2:00 that we had to get back for. Once we were back at the office we all opened our meals. My burger was ok - it probably would have been really good had I gotten to eat it when it first came out of the kitchen. One of my coworkers ordered a chicken gyros. The chicken was not cooked thoroughly - it was pink. He threw it in the trash because he was afraid to eat it.

This was the first time I had ever been to this restaurant. Funny, but the coworkers that I went with had been there before and they said it was really good the last time they were there. Don't know what the problem in the kitchen was, but they better get control of it before they lose all their business.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

A nice, neighborhood "joint" atmosphere that serves very good food. If you're looking for traditional Italian, this probably isn't your place. If you're looking for something that isn't quite "mainstream" then give this place a shot. The service was very good, prices were fair and parking is an adventure.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kansas City, Kansas
“Meatball sandwich! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

What a fabulous sandwich. The fresh Italian bread was delish! My daughter ordered a pizza with Provel (St. Louis style cheese) and it was awesome and we had plenty for dinner. Our server was super sweet and friendly as well as the rest of the staff. We will definitely come back!

Fairfield, OH
“Delicious toasted ravioli and good pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

My husband and I went here early enough one evening to beat the dinner crowd. We chose this restaurant based on the reviews of the toasted ravioli, and because we wanted a good Italian restaurant, but not a fancy Italian restaurant. We also like to check out places that have been featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. This place has a laid back, casual atmosphere, and is in a small nondescript brick building on a corner. Our service was fine, but we did hear a waitress questioning the hostess about a man who left after sitting at the bar for a while. I hadn't noticed how long he'd waited, but the waitress was concerned he'd left because he hadn't been waited on, and I heard her informing the manager. The toasted ravioli was quite good, even though it had a soft cheese filling, instead of a firmer beef filling to which I'm accustomed. Our pepperoni (my husband isn't adventurous with pizza toppings) pizza also had a good flavor and texture, but the toasted ravioli was the better dish of the two. The bill was reasonable. Check out the fire hydrants in The Hill neighborhood; they're painted red, white and green like the colors of the Italian flag.

• Visited May 2014