“Great Italian/Greek Meals... Fresh ingredients and excellent service!”

Anthonino's Taverna LLC
Ranked #13 of 2,880 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: The Hill
“Great Italian/Greek Meals... Fresh ingredients and excellent service!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our family of 15 called ahead on a weekday to stop in for a late lunch/early dinner while on vacation from Chicago. The restaurant was very accommodating to our large group despite it being a smaller tavern style dining room. The server was very knowledgeable about the items on the menu as well as answering questions about the different beers on tap we were unfamiliar with since we are not from the area. The food itself was wonderful. The ravioli is home made, not sure if it's made right there, or down the street... regardless, it is fresh. The Toasted ravioli, and artichoke heart appetizers quite tasty and really got our mouths watering for more! I ordered the Beef Spedini. This dish provided a balance of flavors, savory, sweet, and tart. My wife ordered an Eggplant pasta dish, which was also was full of flavor. Next time we are in St. Louis we will definitely be back. I can see why Guy Fieri visited this place, it's a gem.

2 Thank Guacman

Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing Saturday Night Dinner”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

In St. Louis from Chicago with my family. Decided to check out Anthoninos based on prior reviews and feature on Diner's, drive ins and dives. We arrived at 8 and were told no pizzas were available because they were out of dough. Are you kidding? How could a place that specializes in pizza be out of pizza? As no pizza was available, my son ordered the chicken parm sandwich. The bun was burned, however. My daughter ordered the pasta with meat balls. Pasta looked fresh, but the meat balls were way overcooked and dry. I had the Palermo chicken, which was average. Nothing special. No complaints. My wife had the pasta carbonara. It was a disaster. Whole pieces of undercooked, stringy bacon. She only had a few bites and was put off. Service was painfully slow due to the back up in the kitchen. I would strongly caution anyone going to this place. There have to be better Italian places on the Hill. Truly disappointing experience which makes me appreciate the great Italian restaurants in Chicago.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Really loved our meal”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

After trying BBQ on previous trips to St. Louis, wanted to try Italian this time (esp. curious to try toasted ravioli) and everyone in the group really enjoyed Anthonino's. Lucked out and got a table outside, which was delightful on a surprisingly cool July night. Wonderfully garlicky artichokes and baked goat cheese were terrific appetizers, though the appeal of toasted ravioli escaped me (think it was well prepared - the filling and sauce were both terrific - but "toasting" the ravioli didn't add anything that I could tell). Pizzas were fabulous, esp. the goat cheese with sunflower seeds, pastas were terrific and fresh. Portions were generous and reasonably priced. Lots of options for the vegetarians in our group, and while no children's menu per se they had lots of choices adapted from the main menu for a finicky 10 y.o. Very friendly service, and great advice on beer and wine selections. While I realize a lot of tourists head to the Hill for Italian food, since it is in a residential area the place really had the feel of a local hangout. Very highly recommended, and look forward to visiting again.

1 Thank IndplsTraveler
Memphis, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Italian food at The Hill”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

My hubs is Italian so we wanted to try an Italian place for dinner. Read the reviews and decided on Anthoninos Taverna. This place did not disappoint. We started off with toasted ravioli for an appetizer. The hubs ordered the Sicilian pizza. I ordered the meatball sandwich. All of it was delicious! We came on a Tuesday night at 8:30 and although the restaurant was full there was no wait. App, drinks and two entrees under $50. The quaint neighborhood that surrounds it was the icing on the cake. Come to The Hill next time you're in STL.

1 Thank sightsee66
Joplin, Missouri
“Wonderful authentic Italian food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I ate here for lunch on a recent weekend trip to St. Louis and loved it. The atmosphere is nice and the service was good. We both had pasta dishes that we really enjoyed. Coming from an area where there are no good options for Italian food this was a nice treat. The prices are reasonable as well. We would definitely eat here again.

1 Thank dory_fish77