“Outstanding”
Review of Mosaic - St. Louis - CLOSED

Mosaic - St. Louis
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 10th Street
Description: Located in central loft district on Washington Avenue, this stunning modern fusion restaurant is an eye-pleasing mix of granite tables, high ceilings, tall windows and a beautifully designed curvaceous freestanding bar with exquisite black galaxy granite top. Beneath that striking display of wall art, a row of Bunsen burner-style candelabra anchors a small lounge area with seating pillows along a bamboo bench and a pair of lounge chairs: a little pit of love and fire, the spot where you just know the throngs will cluster once things get under way. Executive Chef Ben Lester, with owner/Chef Claus Schmitz, a German native and veteran of European, American and especially Pacific Rim cuisine offers up such delights as Mosaic Pot Stickers filled with tender suckling pork, Manchego stuffed Quail, Korean BBQ Pork Apple ,Mango Caprese, Flight of Soups & many more. Exceptional food meets exceptional Libations, Fresh fruit Mojitos, Chilling Martini's, and a wealth of experience.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had dined at a different tapas restaurant the night before and Mosaic blew them away. Very knowledgable and personable waiter. Highly recommend the "gyros". Great wine selection by the glass. Will definitely be going back the next time we're in town.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped into Mosaic after an entire day of stressful meetings. We were starving and this was the closest place. We have been to tapas restaurants before so we were a little nervous about how much food we'd have to order to equate to dinner, especially since we were so hungry. To our surprise the tapas portions were quite generous and each one was beautifully presented and delicious. We ordered something from each category and found ourselves enjoying a wonderful leisurely dinner. We also ordered a few mixed drinks which were perfectly executed. To sum it up, our "chance" evening turned out to be a great way to unwind after a hectic day. We never felt rushed and the staff was very attentive to timing our orders so we never waited too long between dishes. We would highly recommend this place for a different, fun and relaxing experience.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Food was basically good, reasonably priced for an airport restaurant.
Service lacked a bit in the sense that I got my food before I got my glass of wine when the place was close to empty on a Tues afternoon.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I'm not really a foodie, but I enjoyed Mosaic so much when I visited St. Louis three years ago, that I remembered it and had to go back. It's a tapas place, but that seems to refer more to the smaller portions than Spanish cuisine. They serve modest portion sizes, which allows you to order a couple of things, or eat lightly. Actually, the portions are probably the correct portion size of what we should eat. I love steak, but I don't need a 14 ounce serving. Here the flank steak was maybe 4-5 ounces, equivalent to what some restaurants call "petite". The prices are $8-$12 for the tapas. They also have entrees akin to a normal restaurant's serving size that are around $15-$20.
I went with a group, and everything was excellent. I tried the fried artichoke hearts, the flank steak, Caesar salad, tomato and mozzarella salad, strawberry sorbet, s'more pie and apple tart. Oh, and the thick cut potato chips that they serve as an appetizer. For dessert, they bring a cup of little spoons so you can share desserts, sampling different ones.
The food is served as it's ready, and it took a while for the food to arrive--somehow all my plates arrived at once. I also hear it gets very busy, so you'll want to make a reservation ahead of time. We had no problem getting a reservation on a Tuesday for a party of 8 at 6:30, but there was no availability Monday night for walk-ins. The service is attentive and friendly.
It's only two blocks from the Convention Center, so a good place if you're in town for a conference.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I ate dinner at Mosaic on two occasions during a recent visit to St. Louis. The menu offers a good balance of vegetarian- and carnivore-friendly options. Prices are reasonable and the wine list is decent, but not overwhelming.

My first visit was really fantastic. The waiter was right on in terms of service and timing, expressing no pressure in terms of ordering/table turnover (for instance, we spent a lot of time chatting before we actually ordered). My dining companion and I found the "small plates" to be very generously sized, and ended up canceling part of our order because we were just too full (they were very accommodating on this part too).

After my positive experience earlier in the week, I raved about the place and invited 3 colleagues to dinner. What a different experience. While the food was consistent, the waitress was uptight and virtually invisible (and not in a good way). We ordered a second bottle of wine and by the time it was actually delivered we were nearly ready for dessert. To be fair, the restaurant was very busy, but the server's awkwardness and unapologetic approach didn't help matters.

Mosaic tauts what they call a "market style" delivery. Essentially, it means that plates get delivered as the kitchen has them ready. I like that style, but found that the servers (especially in our second case) didn't come back to make sure we got everything we had ordered. This is an area for potential improvement because it's easy to lose track of how many plates you've ordered, and what you're still waiting on.