“Great Pub Grub”

Neighborhood: Central West End
Augusta, GA
“Great Pub Grub”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Sat at the bar, and the server and manager could not have been more pleasant. Loved the local beer, and the fish and chips were excellent. The shepherd's pie was enormous and too rich to finish.

Visited March 2013

Guadalajara, Mexico
“Great beer. Bad food.”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I am from England and was taken here by some friends. The beer was really nice, bathrooms really clean and not a bad atmosphere even though the place was quiet. However the food was REALLY disappointing. I had bangers and mash. The sausage was delicious. The mash was pretty nasty:for some reason had garlic in it. Frozen peas would have been a much better side for this dish: the beans were rather grey, looked unappealing and were inedibly rubbery.The 'gravy' was dreadful. I had expected English-style gravy, what arrived was a thick, starchy, gloopy, brown substance smothering everything that was too nasty to eat. This same item was for some bizarre reason also poured over the top of the shepherd's pie of my companion. Despite this however she loved her dish, though she did not know what to expect as she was not from UK. I don't think anyone expecting an authentic shepherd's pie would be happy at all. My other companion had fish and chips. The fish was really nice, with very decent batter. The 'chips' were in fact potato chips, what we call crisps in England. Why on earth anyone would serve fish and crisps I also have no idea. My friend, also from US was very disappointed as he had supposed what was marked as 'chips' on the menu in a supposedly English/Welsh pub would in fact be UK-style chips. To be fair this WAS marked on the menu, and he didn't specifically request English-style chips due to an easily-made incorrect assumption. When he asked the server why he'd gotten crisps instead of chips, English-style chips were immediately cooked for him and I heard the manager telling the server how important it was she check exactly what people wanted when taking the order. In sum, I'd return to this pub again for the beer but definitely avoid for the food. If you're from UK and looking for a nostalgic taste of home, don't bother. You're going to be very disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Boring”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I wasn't to impressed with the food. I probably won't go back. It was just kind of boring to me, nothing to write home about. Maybe the location in CWE is better just because of the location.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Ambiance, Great food!!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I took four of our grand children, ages 8 thru 13, to this authentic Irish pub, and couldn't have been more delighted. We sat on the "restaurant" side of the beautiful hardwood bar,and enjoyed the fish and chips, bangers and mashed, french fries, chicken fingers, salmon, all cooked to everyone's taste. The service was great, and the people on the "bar" side looked like they were having fun. There was also a party room, that you couls look in to, that had a birthday party for 50+ people and wasn't crowded.
They had several draft beers for anyone's palate. Parking was a little scarce, I assume due to the party. I will definitely go back.

• Visited September 2012
san francisco
“Excellent ambiance; satisfactory food”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went to Llywelyn's Pub in Saint Charles. The ambiance was excellent (old building --- possibly an old bank with vault). Food was fine --- I tried the stuffed cabbage and the deep fried pickels. I was not a fan of the deep fried pickels (did not expect so, so this did not impact the rating); the stuffed cabbage was fine (not great).

Service was good.