“Very sad and depressed you are closing”
Review of Garavelli's - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Greek, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Garavelli's is the only place I can find excellent Filet of Sole. They have great food, period. Their meatloaf and pork steaks can't be beat either. After hearing about your closing this morning, I had to come by and have filet of sole one more time. It is the greatest. I don't know where to go now. The resturant had a very quiet and peaceful setting. The employees are friendly and make your eating experience the best. I don't know the reason for your closing, but I know I will miss you in the neighborhood. I wish everyone the best, and you will be missed more then you know. Any suggestions on where to find your quality filet of sole? I wish I had some in my freezer. Is there another Garavelli's somewhere I am unaware of? I started eating at Garavelli's many years ago when they were in the South County Mall. I loved you as a child, and I love you now. I am 47 years old and have been eating in your resturant since I was an infant.

1  Thank Lorrie P

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

If you want to try something on the hill this is not the place. Everyone here is retired, which we wouldn't mind if they had many good food choices. No roasted or fried chicken when I went. It's just a café with little choice, at least for my taste buds.

But I give it 4 stars for the service and the fact that many seniors enjoy the food so I can't blame them.

4  Thank Titanium123
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Garavelli’s features food my father-in-law loves. Piles of meat. However, my sisters-in-law, who regularly take him there, opt for the salads, saying the main dishes spend too long being kept hot under the lamps.

Last time we were there my wife had a pie which tasted stale. She told the server, who said it was fresh-baked. However, that was as far as it went. The pie- which was stale- shouldn’t have been charged for. The customer is not always right, it seems.

Garavelli’s has its good points and a lot of older people love eating there. However, I would not choose to eat there if I wasn’t escorting elderly relatives. The whole place looks tired and needs a good freshen-up, including the toilets.

We don’t want “trendy” – you don’t go to St. Louis for trendy. But a freshen up and some new thinking would keep this cafeteria open for another generation or two.

1  Thank aldershot1
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Our family have been "regulars" at Garavelli's for several years. Sam and his friendly staff offer a variety of daily specials that allow the menu to change from day to day as well as providing a traditional menu. It's relaxing atmosphere and home-style cooking makes it a nice family restaurant that attracts people of all ages, (however it is very popular with the over 50's). Besides offering a comfortable dining room there is also a drive through service for those who want food to "take away". My favorites include the Barbeque Pork Steaks, Filet of Sole, and ham sandwich on rye, along with a number of other meals. The helpings are generous and hearty; they offer a variety of soups, salads, mains, vegetables and sweets to suit most appetites. In my opinion it is very good value for the money; most evenings mom leaves the restaurant with a "take-away" box which she enjoys the next day.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I got the turkey and dressing it came with a side of cranberry sauce. I also got a side of mashed potato's and gravy and corn. The turkey and dressing and gravy were very yummy, the corn and potato's were so-so. I also got a piece of chocolate cream pie, which was yummy. This is a one of a kind experience as cafeteria style restaurants are becoming a thing of the past. It reminds me of my grandparents and Mrs. Sherrie's Cafeteria, which are fond memories.