“Alligator, Shrimp n Grits & Bluegrass? ”

Broadway Oyster Bar
Ranked #21 of 3,291 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Casual French Quarter style restaurant, bar and music venue specializing in award winning Cajun, Creole and Seafood cuisines. Live music 7 nights per week and twice on almost everyday except Friday. Some music is free and some requires a cover charge. Music style includes blues, rock, reggae, funk, New Orleans, R&B, soul, jam, outlaw country and whatever else we hear and like. Open till 3AM with full menu served till 10PM Sunday- Thursday and 11PM on Friday and Saturday and after Cardinal home night games. Late night food till 2 AM on Friday and Saturday night.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Upon visiting the Gateway Arches for the first time, my friend and I decided it was a great time to grab grub as our travels were not done for the evening.

We stopped at the Broadway Oyster Bar even though I like nothing to do with oysters.

Between the Louisiana Fried Alligator I had - a bit to bready & fried for me, and my friends creamy shrimp & grits - she literally licked the plate, we had a good meal.

Wash all this down with local craft brews by 4 Hands Brewing & a side of some live bluegrass by a local duo I can not remember, but were awesome, I’d say the stop was highly successful.

Date of visit: January 2019
JohnJSt_Louis_Mo_, Owner at Broadway Oyster Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Many thanks to both you and your friend for choosing to visit BOB during your first stop in STL. We are very pleased to know that the visit with us was a good one and that you consider it to be “highly successful.” In addition to Cajun/Creole and Seafood we specialize in, we also like to feature local and Louisiana craft brews and live music 7 nights a week. We are very pleased to know that you are a fan and we hope to see you again if you ever revisit St. Louis. John

Write a ReviewReviews (1,408)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We both like spicy foods so he suggested this place. We started with the savory shrimp and sausage cheesecake. There were too many things I wanted to try so I got the sampler. Delicious! It was very spicy but I loved it. Great service. Awesome band was playing.

The next time I’m in STL I must go back.

Date of visit: February 2019
JohnJSt_Louis_Mo_, Owner at Broadway Oyster Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

We are delighted to know that your experience with us was so good that you plan to come back to BOB the next time you are in STL. Thank you for coming to BOB THIS TIME and for taking the time to write us a supurb 5 star review. We are delighted to know that you enjoy spicy, flavorful food and that our food, service and live band hit the spot for you. We will look forward to your return. John

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I search for places like this when I travel. Definitely not a fancy place, but the service was great, and the food was better. I ate here 3 times in 72 hours, and would have gone again if I had the time. Crawfish, mussels, and of course oysters were all delicious. Kimmie was my bartender and she took great care of me. Right downtown near the ball park, I'll definitely go back. Also, their live music is fantastic.

Date of visit: February 2019

Some of our favorite reviews of all time are just like yours, from guests who come to BOB “3 times in 72 hours” or sometimes even more! We once had a group of conventioneers who came in for dinner, drinks and to listen to live music all 5 nights that they were in town! I originally got involved with Broadway Oyster Bar over 35 years ago because, like you, this is my kind of place. We are delighted to know that it is your kind of place as well and that you enjoyed the food as well as the service and live music. Both Kimmie and I are very happy to know you intend to come back to BOB and we will both look forward to your return. John

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great bar fun atmosphere with some really good food!!!! Started out in the bar for a good cold budweiser then on to the dinning room after a short wait. we got the oysters rockefeller very yummy, and the crabcakes are the best ever. then came the lobster poorboy big enough to share and was a delight, we had the slaw as our side and i would highly recommend to every one. It is a little loud but is so much fun can't wait to return and try some more of the cajun gems. The total bill was very modest . Next trip will try to catch one of the bands

Date of visit: February 2019

Thank you so much for visiting BOB and for taking the time to write u a supurb 5 star review. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience with us, in particular the great atmosphere and food such as the Oysters Rockefeller, Crab Cakes, and the Lobster Po Boy with Cajun Slaw. We are a loud venue but that is because everyone here is having fun and the atmosphere is that of a party. The best part of your review is your statement that you “can’t wait to return and try some more of the Cajun gems.” We will look forward to that return and many more down the road. John

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What does Ceviche in Cancun and Guacamole in San Antonio have to do with this place? They are some of the best food experiences we had ever had. Well we will add to it now "Alligator Sausage and Shrimp Cheesecake" appetizer at the BOB! Amazing and Awesome are overused words when describing a food experience. We are probably guilty of that as well. But truly this is one of the best things we have ever eaten. It is funny we sat down and another guest started up a conversation with us telling us to order this appetizer it was great. It truly was exceptional! Definitely give this appetizer a try to see it for yourself. We are paying forward another persons good deed by sharing their experience. It is just so creamy yet very mild cheesy experience. The alligator we have had prior to our trip here was a bit chewy. This sausage was not chewy at all. Done perfectly.

We should at this point do the "mic drop" and close our review. But we have more to say. The atmosphere is fun. It has a cool vibe. It offers live music. It has one of those "beachy" type shack feels that we truly enjoy. You walk into the bar area so you can get a drink while you wait for your table. Careful they serve a strong poor.

The other food we enjoyed were Cajun themed. We had the Sampler Platter and the Fish Tacos. The Sampler Platter included red beans and rice, Gumbo, Jambalaya and Crawfish Etouffee. This was a great way to experience multiple offerings of their food. The fish tacos served a breaded piece of fish with a very good sauce.

Our server was busy but attentive. She kept our drinks full and table clear.

Overall this is a definite place to stop when visiting St. Louis. It is an award winning place with many accolades from the local area. It even has a recent "Best Restaurant of the Year Award" from the Missouri Restaurant Association. Give this place a try!

1  Thank wetravelalot007

A review such as yours is every restaurant owners dream. Well written, positive, thorough, descriptive and just full of nice things! Alligator Sausage and Shrimp Cheesecake described as “one of the best things we have ever eaten.” “The atmosphere is fun. It has a cool vibe” is another example. How about “a definite place to stop when visiting St. Louis” and “ Give this place a try.” Thank you so much for coming to BOB and for the awesome 5 star review. We hope you take your own advice and come back whenever you visit STL. John