“Dogtown pub”

The Pat Connolly Tavern
Ranked #221 of 3,338 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Irish, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Description: Historic neighborhood restaurant, tavern and event space in Dogtown, offering classic pub fare, fine spirits, good value, and a sense of community. Open for weekend brunch at 9am. Conveniently located across from Forest Park and The Zoo, and near the Science Center. Family-friendly during daytime hours.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Be on guard for a bit o'the Irish sass ;) Our waitress was very pleasant and was not above engaging in verbal duel when a witty remark was thrown at her. I laughed SO hard!! It was all in fun as she sat down to chat with us on a slow evening.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed March 6, 2019

Great Tavern food, the selection was great and its what you would expect from a pub or tavern. Kid friendly and if you spend $25 then kids meals are half off. Nice little place with great service. I will be going back with my family. Also have no problems taking friends from out of town. This is a true S. City / Dogtown classic neighborhood tavern where they serve great food.

Reviewed February 12, 2019

The house salad was just ok. The garlicky green beans left a lot to be desired-sub par oriental restaurant type beans. The ice tea was so watered down it was very light brown and no the flavor at all-just drink water and save yourself the money. The French fries tasted like they were old and refrozen the cooked in a fryer that was not hot enough so they were grease soaked and cooked in old oil so need I say more about the taste. Now the fried chicken-it was cooked just fine and the chicken very meaty however, the crust was bland and she even asked if I wanted it spicy. Take a saucer and dump some flour on it. Stick your tongue on it and that is your flavor. I left the tea, threw away the fries and beans, then boxed the chicken to take home to see if someone else wanted it. I ordered a simple burger with no side. I got the burger with coleslaw on the side. The slaw was just some stringy bland cabbage and carrots. World famous for what-tasted like old folks home or hospital food.

Reviewed February 8, 2019

We were in St Louis for medical reasons and were advised to give this bar a shot as it was just down the street from where we were staying and because they had a fried chicken dinner special that had everyone salivating.

Approaching the bar from the east on Oakland, at night it looks like a brightly lit oasis in a sea of darkened homes. The bar signs and outdoor lighting also allow you to see just how many cars are parked around the corner where it lives. That many cars means you're in for something special.

The exterior is nothing special, and you can see how it has evolved over time to include ADA requirements for the entry with some whimsical decoration by the sidewalk. Once you enter, you immediately know this is a neighborhood bar with tables and booths that have been there for a long while and are completely charming.

The servers are quick to greet every new entry and you can sit wherever you'd like. I've sat at a booth and a table and both are equally comfortable. Menus are brought by the server on 11x14" cardstock. The menu is limited to a small variety of soups, salads and sandwiches with about 3 offerings of dinners. I've tried the shrimp dinner, and the fish dinner and both were different than I thought they would be in a positive way.

If you're a connoisseur of fried shrimp like I am, you are used to shrimp being heavily breaded after they have been butterflied and deep fried - sometimes for too long. The fried shrimp here are some of the largest I've ever seen, butterflied and breaded in a light almost tempura type batter. They are enormous! I was given 5 on my plate and I had to take two home, that is how big they are.

You are offered two sides and I chose the salad and the freshly made pub chips which can either be great or a soggy mess. I'm happy to say that the pub chips are the absolute best homemade chip I've ever had. I took the house dressing on the salad and it was really good.

My son ordered the steak sandwich with onion rings and when it came we were shocked to find that it was a full size steak - probably New York strip from the look and size of it - on a hoagie type bun. The meat was a full inch thick and my son ate every bite as it was incredibly good. The onion rings were huge tall rings lightly battered and we ate an appetizer plate of them with a homemade sauce - so good.

Let's not forget the beer - they have the usual beers and they also carry local brewery fare as well. I get the UCBC Forest Park ale as it is light and very good. There are too many kinds to list but we haven't had one we couldn't stand yet and if I'm not feeling adventurous I get a Sam Adams.

The servers are very helpful, friendly and very attentive. They are always ready with refills or to suggest something they like if asked. The bar itself is very friendly, no one looks at you as if you shouldn’t be there if you’re not local. (I’ve experienced that in a bar in the past and it was unpleasant.) Nothing like that here and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

I’ve been there on a Friday night, on a Tuesday night and on a Thursday night and the atmosphere was the same, welcome and enjoy some good food. No problem - I”m there!

Reviewed September 15, 2018

An eclectic and beloved part of Dogtown. Great food with vegan options. Reasonable prices for the portions.Be prepared to take home a box. ;)

Date of visit: September 2018