“decent pub food”

Morgan Street Brewery
Ranked #273 of 2,888 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Florida
“decent pub food”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

My husband and I like to try different breweries and this was within walking distance of our downtown hotel, so we stopped at this casual place for dinner. We had a larger group but were seated pretty quickly - the place seemed a little slow for Saturday night, but was filling up more when we left.

My husband got the Brew'ski beer sampler - not a bad deal at 5 samples for $5.50. He deemed them 'ok but not great' - maybe we are a little picky because we brew our own beer at home :) The honey wheat sounded promising but you couldn't really taste any honey. My favorite was the Decades beer.

I had heard about the St. Louis style pizza with Provel cheese and lots of locals warned that tourists don't usually like it, but we got two of their specialty pizzas and everyone liked the cheese. It's not my favorite but I could eat it. To me, it had the texture of Velveeta.

I got the Morgan Street Burger and it was decent. They have a unique side called "coniques" which are mashed potatoes breaded and fried, kind of like a tater tot but with creamy potatoes. Prices are reasonable for downtown location - sandwiches/burgers were $8-10 and entrees were an average of $15.

Our server was pleasant but I did notice that service/food was pretty slow in general. It took about 30 minutes for food to arrive even though they weren't busy. A couple was seated next to us, and got up and left when no one came by to even acknowledge them after about 10 minutes.

• Visited June 2011

Northern New Jersey
“Great Beer - Great People!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We didn't eat here, only stopped in late night for drinks. Their craft brews were very good, full bodied beer. And the people were awesome - very funny and friendly. I can't wait to go back on my next visit to St Louis and try the food.

• Visited June 2011
Grapevine, Texas
“Good location, meidocre food and beer”
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We went to this place on a Friday night. It is located in the popular Laclede's Landing district, and is in a great location.

I had the cheese pizza and frankly, it was terrible. It had way too much cheese and the crust was too thick to be a true St. Louis style pizza. In their defense, however, the server was very apologetic and did take it off my bill. Everyone else seemed happy with their food, so maybe just the cheese pizza is bad.

Their beer is OK, but I expect better from a brewpub. The selection is a little limited, and I thought the beers I tried lacked flavor somewhat. They would probably be great if you are used to Bud, but if you drink micro brews or craft beers you will probably find the beer here somewhat disappointing. That said, it was not bad, just mediocre. The large beers were a good deal and just a dollar more than the pints. Also the service and atmosphere were very good.

Chicago, Illinois
“Quality beer selection, fun atmosphere, prime location”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

First off, I thought the location was equally as important as the place itself; right in the heart of a pedestrian district bounded by the Mississippi, MLK bridge, expressway and the park the Gateway Arch is situated in - and about 2 blocks from the MetroLink light rail station. You can also easily walk here from the Arch, convention center, or many hotels in downtown.

Food was pretty good for what might otherwise seem like a standard pub-style sit-down place. Instead of french fries, they have these whipped potato nuggets with a fried skin called coniques - definitely try them!

We ordered up two "paddles" (?) of the beer samplers which are served with 5 small glasses of different beers (actually, the paddle only had slots for 4, so they have to hand you the 5th which we found a strange quirk). All brews were of rich taste and high quality.

I've heard some say the service was terrible - our experience was fine, a bit of a wait on the food but otherwise satisfactory. Upon leaving the hostess even gave a ballon to our 3-year old nephew. We also enjoyed the beer so much that we bought a couple of growlers from the bar - way cheaper than ordering it on tap.

Missouri
“Good food, atmosphere, and beer”
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My family and I ate here in October 2008. The location is good ( in Laclede's Landing, a fun little neighborhood) and you can walk from anywhere in downtown or the Arch. I had the crab cake sandwich, and it was very good. Soft, tender, and juicy. We sat in a little stone-like alcove. I had a red lager. Solid.