“I won't go back”

Staunton, Illinois, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I won't go back”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Husband took me for my birthday dinner. I was excited since I had never eaten here but heard a lot about Mama's on the Hill. I was disappointed we were seated at very small table between 2 doorways & next to kitchen entrance. Table & my chair were both wobbly so it was hard to sit still & eat. My chair kept getting bumped into by servers & at one point an employee tripped over my chair & almost knocked me out. Employee didn't even apologize. Food was OK but I've had better. Never offered refills even though my tea was empty most of my meal. Bread was brought to other tables that were seated well after us. We finally received bread after appetizers & salad. I feel poor service & small area made for a bad experience. I won't waste my time driving the hour to go back.
Also we were told when seated they were just made over by the show Restaurant Impossible. Seems like it would have been better since they just had a makeover.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Kris A

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fair food and lackluster service”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The food is really only mediocre, and the servers are inattentive, but it still gets crowded? I don't get it at all. There are many, many better Italian restaurants within a half-mile radius of this place, and I would suggest that you look them up. If you're not familiar with The Hill neighborhood in St. Louis, ask around or do a computer search.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Bob D
Durham, North Carolina
“Great food and a great experience”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I was a bit surprised to see the reviews that I did for this place, so when I found it, I had to post. I came into town for one night in April for the Go STL weekend and was eager to find some good pasta. Being by myself and having driven out to the city, all I wanted to do was find some food and bring it back to the hotel to eat and relax. Surprisingly, I found that numerous restaurants on the Hill would not allow pick-up service, so was quite happy when Mama's told me that it wouldn't be a problem. If you're looking for the best Italian you've ever eaten for these prices, then you are sadly going to be disappointed by much in life. I tried the toasted ravioli and a pasta dish and found them to be really quite good. The food was ready quickly, the staff was very friendly, and the price was right. Perhaps the in-house service is what has driven most of these down-ratings, but I'd suggest you give it a shot; I found it to be quite good.

• Visited April 2013
Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst food and service I've ever experienced.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stopped today because this appeared to be the only place open on the Hill. Wr had no silverware on the table and had to request it. Our drink order was never taken. I requested no dressing on my salad. It arrived with dressing and was made with badly wilted lettuce. When the waiter returned - 15 minutes later, he realized the error but seemed to not be bothered by ity dinner was also wrong. I ate a couple bites but it made me ill and I had to quit. Food took over an hour to come to the table with multiple excuses - none of which made sense. Our waiter was practically invisiblethe entire time. terrible

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Shara_9
DeSoto, Missouri, United States
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I brought my family here on Mother's day after hearing great reviews from family for several years. I left with the assurance that I'd never go back. The service was slow, we had to signal for refills. The food was mediocre in taste at best. I ordered a house special, the Chicken Lasagna, and my father ordered the regular Lasagna, both were impressively enormous portions, however it was clear that they were pre-made and reheated so both entrees were stone cold in the beneath the surface. We both sent back to be cooked through, by the time our food came back, everyone else was finished eating. My wife and mother both ordered a Hill special, toasted ravioli, my wife says she's had better from Pasta House. The Canolli's for desert were good, but no comparison to nearby competition. I've paid more to take my family out to eat, albeit nowhere more expensive on the Hill. All in all, for six adults and two kids, we spent $185 for 1 appetizer, 6 modest entrees, 1 kids meal, 3 deserts, and 4 non-alcoholic beverages. If you want a great Hill experience, I'd recommend Canneto's, I've been there 3 times and have never been dissapointed in anything.

• Visited May 2013