“More than food”

Ranked #501 of 3,337 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2018

This review is not entirely based on food. My husband and I are vegetarians so the selection for us was rather limited (my apple strudel was very good.) However, the folks we were with are meat eaters who gave the German entrees and dessert excellent reviews. They said they would certainly return.

The other attraction here is history. We were lucky that the the owner was on property and gave us a fascinating tour of the building. Feasting Fox was built by the Busch beer barons in 1913 and would look entirely appropriate in a Harry Potter movie. When the current owners bought the building, it needed extensive and expensive renovation. They saved money by saving the furniture, fixtures, pictures, decorations, etc. from other St. Louis restaurants going out of business. So it is something of a museum filled with artifacts of St. Louis dining history, It’s well worth a visit. Along with food, you may get a St. Louis history lesson, too.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank Mary W

Reviewed November 25, 2018 via mobile

The Feasting Fox is a great historic setting to meet for a delicious, homemade German meal. Three generations of my family recently met here for an early dinner before heading to the Brewery Lights. There was something on the menu for seven of us, and we all enjoyed what we ordered. Menu stand-outs include the German egg rolls and Schnitzel. The variety of German beers is worth the trip itself to sit and enjoy at the restaurant’s comfortable bar. Easy Parking is adjacent to the restaurant entrance south off Meramec and east of Grand.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank chiflaco
Reviewed December 26, 2017

We have dined here frequently over the years. Their German dishes are really wonderful. We always dine here on Christmas Eve. The atmosphere makes the evening so perfect. In truth, the atmosphere is always perfect here any evening of the year.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Lorin G
Reviewed November 23, 2017

I booked a 2:00 p.m. Thanksgiving Day Reservation (today), on Facebook -- via their invitation. My reservation was confirm. When we arrived at the restaurant.....

Bad Omen #1 -- a party that had a 1:30 p.m. reservation still had not been checked in by the hostess when we arrived at 1:58 p.m.

Bad Omen #2 -- when the hostess returned from seating the 1:30 p.m. group, at 2:15, she couldn't find our reservation. When her replacement took over, at 2:20, she seated two newly arrived groups ahead of us and a another group that had a 2:00 p.m. reservation.

Bad Omen #3 --- we were seated at 2:33 p.m. and the waitress finally greeted us at 2:45 p.m. to take our order. At 2:56 p.m. three classes of water arrived to the table. At 3:07 p.m. I called over the original hostess to spoke to us as said I still hadn't gotten my iced tea. She brought the tea back at 3:14 p.m.

Bad Omen #4 -- at 3:30 p.m. we still weren't served our salad and rolls. A woman who was dressing tables in the room overheard us complain to one another and asked if our order had been taken. My son told her, "Yes, forty-five minutes ago."

Bad Omen #5 -- as we left the restaurant at 3:35 p.m. a group of about a dozen people were waiting at the hostess stand to be checked in for their reservations. I told them all "Good luck, we had a 2:00 p.m. reservation and we're still waiting to have salad and rolls brought to the table." A woman asked me, "Did you have a reservation?" I replied: "Yeah, we did and they lost it."

Bad Omen #6 -- as we were driving out of the parking lot, the dozen people who were waiting at the hostess table were all making their way to their cars.

Date of visit: November 2017
3  Thank ritak790
Reviewed August 27, 2017

Was in town for the eclipse and we wanted something other than fast food. The restaurant has historical ties to Anheuser-Busch. If you were expecting German music, you might be disappointed. It was smooth jazz. They do serve American cuisine and all different types of beer. I had the wiener schnitzel, my wife had the jaeger schnitzel, and my daughter the German sausage sampler. We were quite satisfied with the meal.

Date of visit: August 2017