“Old World dining experience - Worth the trip!”

Al Smith's Feasting Fox Restaurant & Pub
Ranked #730 of 2,971 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A group of about 8 of us spent the evening at Feasting Fox this past weekend, and our experience was positive all the way around. This place isn't for everyone, but if you like trying something new, I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

St. Louis was built upon neighborhoods of ethnic diversities, and the German parts of St. Louis are often overlooked in the region as a whole. But the Feasting Fox should not be taken for granted. This place brings back a lot of charm of classic Germany in its decor, its furniture, even the outside of the building. An historic building hides a dining room that is smaller than what you'd expect, but very nicely put together. The bar is just in the next room.

It's dark. Almost too dark, but that makes this place great for a date or for a chance to not worry about anything you've spilled on yourself. We had called ahead to reserve a table for 8, which they accommodated nicely. The place wasn't as busy as I thought it should have been for a Friday night, but our reservations were at 7:00 pm. Judging from the interior, the Muzak (horribly outdated elevator-style music), and the cuisine, I have a feeling this place attracts people over the age of 50 most of all, so my guess is that most diners are here either during lunch hours, or before 6:00 pm. Either way, it was kind of nice to have the run of the place, as there were fewer than 10 other people in the dining room.

Why the small crowd, I don't know, because the food and the service were both excellent. Juan, our server, was very kind and very helpful with the menu and recommendations. He took our orders without having to write anything down. Our appetizers came out timely and piping hot -- we all shared the parmesean puffs, a sausage sampler platter (fanTAStic), and potato pancakes, which sort of looked like their version of hashbrowns with applesauce. But everyone raved about the food all the way around. Entrees are served with soup or salad, and their German-inspired onion and mushroom soup was great -- salty and earthy without being too overpowering.

Our entrees were very good. I ordered the Wiener Schnitzel -- lightly breaded veal in a mushroom cream sauce, and even though I don't like capers, they went very well with the sauce. The meat was tasty and tender, as well. My wife ordered the stuffed pork chop, which was a tad on the dry side, but had great flavor and a nice plum glaze that I know my wife wished she had more of. We both finished off our plates, as did nearly everyone else at our table. You know the food is good when, right after the entrees are served, no one is talking because we're all too busy eating the food in front of us. That's a sign of well-made cuisine right there.

The desserts didn't knock us out, but the prices were very reasonable, and at least 3 of the dessert choices are house-made. They also have an ample wine and beer selection, including New Belgium's 1554 on draft, and some German imports. With an appetizer, 2 entrees, a dessert, and 2 beers, our bill was about $60.00. Not bad when you're going all out and trying something new -- not a place we'll come to very often, but we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

The paintings, knick-knacks, and furniture really gave the restaurant a lived-in feel that spoke of decades of care and an attention to the details of Old World hospitality. A couple detractors -- the place is pretty dark, and while we eventually adjusted to the light level, initially it was off-putting. The fact that the dining room was empty indicates that their core demographic is likely considerably older, so I don't know how well they'll do with younger diners. And because it's an historic building, the restrooms are a little tight. Also, the Muzak was the subject of some mocking throughout the night. But these things, while not at the top of my positives list, actually helped give The Feasting Fox some of its charm -- it may put off some diners, but others will find it endearing.

Definitely not for everyone, but you should give it a try, especially if you're looking for a new dining experience. We would have stayed later and talked more had the dining room been open later, but we were there for 2.5 hours, and that was plenty of time for 4 courses and good conversation in between. Go for the experience, enjoy the food, and plan to come back.

1  Thank DJZackAttack

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were searching for a location to taste some German food and were not disappointed. Juan was our server and he provided all the details and description of eat dish we sampled. Excellent food and going in the middle of the afternoon was a plus for our group. Worth the travel time from anywhere in St Louis, MO.

1  Thank Silonius3
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I waited too late to get Valentine's weekend reservations. I called the Fox and they were ready and willing to please. When we walked in there were Vday decos and hearts and flower petals on the tables. They also had a Vday couples special that was amazing. They turned the Prince of Procrastination into the King of "schwing?". Ok corny but seriously, I don't like to look like a schmuck and they were really there for me. I love this place!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

It is often difficult to find a good German restaurant with reasonable prices, but the Feasting Fox fits the bill. My husband and I have been several times, and love the sausage platter appetizer. If you ask, your server will tell you all about the varieties of sausages offered in this dish. The German black bean soup is excellent, and their sauerbraten is fantastic. I've loved everything I've ordered there.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This historic St. Louis landmark in the Dutchtown area is a little off the beaten path so have your GPS handy but worth the trip. The sauerbraten was wunderbar and the housemade German chocolate cake was delicious although not the same as what is typically found in the US. There is an outdoor beer garden and banquet facilities. Others in my party found the schnitzel and apple strudel delicious. The menu also includes non-German entrees. We found the prices very reasonable. Check their website for a full menu and interesting history of the building.