“Disappoinsting”
Review of Tony's

Tony's
Reserve with OpenTable
Tony's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 2,941 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broadway
Description: Tony's, a St. Louis landmark and nationally acclaimed restaurant, has featured award-winning food, service, and ambiance for more than 40 years. Recognized year after year with the AAA Four-Diamond Award and the Forbes (formerly Mobil) Four-Star Award, among others, executive chef Vincent P. Bommarito creates a signature menu. From lobster albanello to a veal loin chop with truffle sauce, from filet mignon of swordfish to a luxurious tasting menu, all dishes are finished tableside. Tony's complements each meal with a medal-winning wine collection and decadent house-made desserts. Servers, many with Tony's for decades, anticipate guests' needs to create an extraordinary dining experience. Every guest is treated to the gracious hospitality one would receive walking into the Bommarito family's home. Generations of families celebrate special events at Tony's; business and leisure travelers make sure to include dinner at Tony's in their visit.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

In July my wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary by dining at Tony's. In the preceding twenty years we had dined there on two other occasions. Both times the service and cuisine had lived up to their five star reputation. Unfortunately, our latest experience was disappointing.

We arrived at 6:00 pm and things went well initially. However, when a group of 17 arrived things began to deteriorate. Seating for the group was a line of tables between two support columns. This arrangement could only accommodate 15 and the remaining 2 were to be seated separately on the other side of one column. They were not pleased and spent several minutes standing and expressing their displeasure.

This group clearly over-taxed the staff. The level and quality of service declined to the point that we and other patrons were left sitting and just waiting. After we had finished and received our "to go" box, it took 30 minutes to receive our check. The final blow came when we got up to leave. No one acknowledged us until we were reaching the outer door, when a "thank you" was yelled at our backs.

During the evening a couple was seated with a man wearing shorts. The staff member who seated them was chastised within earshot of our table. This type of conversation should NEVER be held in the dining room in the presence of patrons.
One other oddity was that all of our table-side food preparation was done behind us even though there was room to give us a proper presentation. In retrospect, I should have asked why that was being done.

While someone did come by earlier in the evening to ask how our meal was, we never saw Mr. Bommarito. This is not a criticism. I mention it only because I believe "Tony" would not have been satisfied with the performance of his staff on that occasion.

My wife and I are not accustomed to spending nearly $300 for dinner. Our experience may have been an aberration, however we will not be returning to Tony's

6  Thank Dave D
There are newer reviews for Tony's

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great personalized service! The waiter/bartender who was our server had been there forever and knew what he was doing. The kitchen is shared with Tony's so you can't go wrong with the food.

2  Thank mrsgw0119
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Delicious food, generous portions, great wines & cocktails, fabulous cordial service, relaxing atmosphere. Not stuffy at all. Expensive but worth that special evening. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Celebrated a friend's birthday at Tony's and service and food excellent. We all had their seafood entree and each one, although different, was excellent. Best roasted salmon I've ever had. Salad with artichokes and hearts of palm was outstanding. Very pricey, ala carte, but for a special occasion everyone deserves the treat! Only the best chefs are hired at Tony's!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was in town for a meeting so I went to Tony's by myself the night before. It's pricey, but luckily I wasn't paying the tab. Definitely a memorable meal, as the service was top notch and the food was great. I had the beef tenderloin, and it was perfect. Next time I'm in town I'll be going to Tony's again, I'd love to try their in-house lobster creation. It's a perfect setting for a romantic dinner or to impress business clients.

1  Thank a2kNE