“Favorite Thai but they've toned down the heat”
Review of The King & I

The King & I
Ranked #240 of 2,957 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
Reviewed November 16, 2013

King & I has been my favorite restaurant for 20 years. I love everything I order from here whether eat in or take out, all at very reasonable prices. Dishes have gone up a couple of $ over that time which is expected but I have been let down since their last renovation in one aspect: SPICE. They used to offer 1-5 American and 1-5 Thai hot. All the servers knew the questions to ask inquisitive diners and advise to their heat recommendations.
My last visit in Oct 2013 the server did not ask my heat preference, and then only offered mild/med/hot. when I asked about the old heat scale (their website had been built upon their heat reputation) she seemed to have never heard about it.
I still love the King & I above all others but I will miss the only restaurant that tested my limits in this aspect.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

It's a lunch stop for me once in a while. The food is consistent. The service is usually pretty good. But when I compare it to my favorite Thai place, it's no contest which one wins. There's just something missing here and I don't know what it is. The Thai iced tea is good, the food is good, but I'm not compelled to go back often and I can't explain why. I will say that their hot pepper you add with a spoon to your food (like the dried red ground up stuff..) will SET YOU ON FIRE if you're into that (which I am..) - I don't know what they do to that stuff but WOW - it's HOT! If you're in the area and looking for Thai it's a good choice, but I think there are other better choices in town. Parking is a nuisance here - I really don't like to try to find a place to park when I go here - it can be problematic at times.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This well-known and long established restaurant has undergone at least two transformations since I discovered it in 1989. It went from traditional Thai to a Thai fusion that, despite its somewhat alien and original dishes, works like a charm. No matter what I've had here, it's been terrific and it's been a magnet for locals and tourists alike for decades. A must if you're in St. Louis.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I went to SLU and used to eat here all the time. We've since moved to Chicago, but make a point of always going back to The King & I when we are in St. Louis because we've never found Thai that is as good.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you really like spicy food that a place to go. Good food good service. Every time I go to stl I make sure I stop there.